Steinheil Crystal

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by EMC23, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Benjamin Crist

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been really pretty happy with the VZW screen protector, but I would rather have a protector that doesn't have the cutouts for the light sensor if the phone doesn't need those cut outs.

I love reading ebooks on my Droid and I hate cases as well as scratches. My understanding is the crystal ones are as clear or more than the VZW, but show fingerprints less? I think the AF version will be too blurry for my taste.

Has anyone ordered the Shield for full protection?

SGP Shield for Motorola Droid

This sounds great, but looking at that diagram I am tempted to buy it for the full protection it looks like it offers, yet am tempted to shy away as it looks like a royal pain to apply. Anyway, any pictures/videos and advice on the shield would be great.

Also, I saw this video of the AF version:

You Tube

He mentioned some skins that people might be interested in (personally I like plain black, but thought I would share this for others):

eBay Store ? 5starskin: Search results for.

2. gt_nfr

gt_nfr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like some others in this thread. I hardly think this is a great solution fora screen shield. I've seen some iPhone shields that look great and have ZERO bubbles.

I purchased the steinheil shields because I thought it could give me similar results but so far I'm pretty disappointed. I have followed the tips here as well as the provided instructions to a TEE and i STILL have bubbles all over the screen. It didn't help that the 1st shield was destroyed because I tried using a screen cleaner to remove the sticky residue from the sticker on the screen.

I'll see if the bubbles go away over time but I already know I'm now going to be able to stand it if it stays this way. :mad:

3. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting as I had no bubbles with my first install. I did have a couple with the second install (on a different Droid) though.

You should be able to squeeze out any bubbles during installation unless they're caused by dust/lint etc. While SGP's instructions say to use tape to remove the particle my experience indicates that things just get worse.

4. gt_nfr

gt_nfr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe my room is just overly dusty but I wipe all the dust off, and 30sec later I get a few specs on the screen as I'm applying the shield.....maybe I need to find a cleanroom.

5. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    A lot of people have suggested doing it in a steamy room right after you've taken a shower, to force the dust particles to settle to the floor.

I personally found that a can of compressed air in one hand, and the screen cover in the other did the trick.

6. lippstuh

lippstuh New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wow third attempt with a new screen, wiped it down, compressed air, steamy room. hundreds of bubbles. no clue why, but this isn't the first time i installed a shield.

7. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0

I always have bubbles, but they work out easily with the squeegee.

8. lippstuh

lippstuh New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    used it, didn't work.

9. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Strange... I've never had an issue like that with any of the maybe 40 protectors I've installed on various phones. This one was easier than most. That said, I'm about to take it off. Im getting used to the feel and less responsiveness, but it's not worth the trade off if it makes smudges worse. I guess technically the smudges are better. You see them less, but you now see rainbow colored smears in the light from oil instead of just a smudge. Sometimes to the point of not being able to see things on the screen. That is worse than a naked screen.

10. Murz

Murz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I havent noticed the rainbow effect. To me the guard reduces smudges, dosent eliminate them like the anti-fingerprint, but does a better job than the naked screen. I certainly have had to clean my screen less with the crystal on.

11. droidster22

droidster22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    honestly, with the screen protector, i want to be safe than sorry. No screen protector will protect your screen from extreme force. It will crack with or without the screen protector. The reason why I use my screen protector for scratch protection. I couldn't stand the scratches I had on my previous phone(lg dare) when I had a bare screen. I had to live with it for a year with that one annoying scratch in the middle of the screen. With this screen protector, I am not worried about scratches on my main screen.

12. billyk

billyk Member

Ratings:
    +10
    The Steinheil folks have excellent customer service. After a botched first attempt (and I am experienced at this stuff!!) and a defective second film, they provided another package free of charge. The first try with the replacement package was a charm. Here are my thoughts on the Steinheil Crystal:
    - Very clear
    - Nice smooth glossy surface with a slippery feel - almost like the bare screen
    - Perfectly scratchless out-of-the-box
    - Bubbles in main part of the screen can be removed pretty easily
    - Hands-down better than the Zagg Invisible Shield on all of the above points
    - Installation is tricky - if not perfectly positioned, it'll stand up on the edges, producing a bubbled-look. There's no forgiveness either - if you don't get it right and you lift it back up, it will not sit back down perfectly. In fact, the slightest jostling of an edge might produce a lifted edge that will not lay back down, even if positioned perfectly.

Overall, I would not go back to the Zagg product. For me, Steinheil is the best. Glad I learned about it here!

Search tags for this page

steinheil crystal

steinheil screen protector for droid razr m
what is steinheil crystal