Steinheil Crystal

pudah

Reaction score
wow third attempt with a new screen, wiped it down, compressed air, steamy room. hundreds of bubbles. no clue why, but this isn't the first time i installed a shield.

I always have bubbles, but they work out easily with the squeegee.

pudah

Reaction score
wow third attempt with a new screen, wiped it down, compressed air, steamy room. hundreds of bubbles. no clue why, but this isn't the first time i installed a shield.

I always have bubbles, but they work out easily with the squeegee.
used it, didn't work.

Strange... I've never had an issue like that with any of the maybe 40 protectors I've installed on various phones. This one was easier than most. That said, I'm about to take it off. Im getting used to the feel and less responsiveness, but it's not worth the trade off if it makes smudges worse. I guess technically the smudges are better. You see them less, but you now see rainbow colored smears in the light from oil instead of just a smudge. Sometimes to the point of not being able to see things on the screen. That is worse than a naked screen.

Murz

Reaction score
Im getting used to the feel and less responsiveness, but it's not worth the trade off if it makes smudges worse. I guess technically the smudges are better. You see them less, but you now see rainbow colored smears in the light from oil instead of just a smudge. Sometimes to the point of not being able to see things on the screen. That is worse than a naked screen.

I havent noticed the rainbow effect. To me the guard reduces smudges, dosent eliminate them like the anti-fingerprint, but does a better job than the naked screen. I certainly have had to clean my screen less with the crystal on.

droidster22

Reaction score
Im getting used to the feel and less responsiveness, but it's not worth the trade off if it makes smudges worse. I guess technically the smudges are better. You see them less, but you now see rainbow colored smears in the light from oil instead of just a smudge. Sometimes to the point of not being able to see things on the screen. That is worse than a naked screen.

I havent noticed the rainbow effect. To me the guard reduces smudges, dosent eliminate them like the anti-fingerprint, but does a better job than the naked screen. I certainly have had to clean my screen less with the crystal on.

honestly, with the screen protector, i want to be safe than sorry. No screen protector will protect your screen from extreme force. It will crack with or without the screen protector. The reason why I use my screen protector for scratch protection. I couldn't stand the scratches I had on my previous phone(lg dare) when I had a bare screen. I had to live with it for a year with that one annoying scratch in the middle of the screen. With this screen protector, I am not worried about scratches on my main screen.

billyk

Reaction score
The Steinheil folks have excellent customer service. After a botched first attempt (and I am experienced at this stuff!!) and a defective second film, they provided another package free of charge. The first try with the replacement package was a charm. Here are my thoughts on the Steinheil Crystal:
- Very clear
- Nice smooth glossy surface with a slippery feel - almost like the bare screen
- Perfectly scratchless out-of-the-box
- Bubbles in main part of the screen can be removed pretty easily
- Hands-down better than the Zagg Invisible Shield on all of the above points
- Installation is tricky - if not perfectly positioned, it'll stand up on the edges, producing a bubbled-look. There's no forgiveness either - if you don't get it right and you lift it back up, it will not sit back down perfectly. In fact, the slightest jostling of an edge might produce a lifted edge that will not lay back down, even if positioned perfectly.

Overall, I would not go back to the Zagg product. For me, Steinheil is the best. Glad I learned about it here!

WebmastuhB

Reaction score
I bought a Steinheil Crystal for my Droid from the website that's been posted here at least twice. Website was good, they delivered what I ordered on time.

However, this protector is a disaster. The air bubbles on this thing are horrible - its like someone laid a piece of baby swiss cheese on my screen. I tried to work them out with the squeegie with no luck - almost no bubbles were removed, and I ended up scratching the Crystal protector in the process.

Obviously, I am not doing something right. I've read about the shower tip to eliminate dust and the washing your hands in dish soap tip for clean hands. I'll try both of those on attempt number 2.

What am I missing? Is there a video I can watch or something? What else do I need to know before I rip off my current, horrible looking protector, and go with my second one?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I purchased a set of these back in January and I'm still on the first one (pack comes with two). Got to say I'm VERY happy. No bubbles, no rainbow effect, great feel and personally I think the screen looks better (clearer) with it than 'naked.' Highly recommend them.

For those that have issues buy a pack of really cheap ones first to get your technique down. You MUST install them in a VERY CLEAN environment. For most people (i.e. your average house) the best place will be a kitchen or a bathroom, most 'common areas' will not do well. Make sure the HVAC hasn't run for a while so there is as little dust in the air as possible. Take the cleaning cloth from the pack and use compressed air to clean the cloth and the screen then cover the screen with the cloth while you prepare the screen protector (note, you should move over a few feet from where you used the compressed air before installing to get away from any particles you might have stirred up)...

You can NOT be to anal/OCD when it comes to the installation of these things. The more anal/OCD you are the better the results.

WebmastuhB

Reaction score
Just removed the original mess and added the second. Did the "dish soap to clean hands trick" ran the shower in the bathroom, cleaned the **** out of the screen with the cloth...

Added second Crystal cover, did it more slowly, more methodically. Started at one end, used the squeegie.

I'm still unhappy with the results. There are only 10% or so of the bubbles that I had with Crystal 1, but still they are there and they annoy me. I cannot remove them with the squeegie no matter how hard I try. The edges have and incredible amount of bubbles on them (which doesn't interfere with the screen, but to me it still looks crappy.)

I guess I can live with it, but man... I'm disappointed. I wanted perfection and for $12 for a small piece of clear plastic I figured I should have it. It should have ZERO bubbles and it shouldn't be this much of a PITA.

So I am not sure what to do.
1. Live with the bubbles.
2. Attempt again to remove them (but this risks scratching the new Crystal like I did the last one)
3. remove the Crystal and go naked (but having a scratched screen SUCKS. Had one on different phones. Its NOT good.)

I know of a fourth option - Best Buy tried to sell me a $20 cover that they would install and was guaranteed for life. I could have it replaced at any time (so they said. There is probably a limit on how many per month you can get).

I'm going to look into the Best Buy option and report back. Also, some dude at the mall was doing something similar. I'll check out his deal, but frankly I'm more comfortable with Best Buy being around solidly for the next 2 or 3 years than some dude at the mall.

MK17

Reaction score
I'm very surprised people are having such a hard time with bubbles. So surprised in fact that I actually googled Steinheil just to be sure it was the same crystal cover. (I had only remembered it as SGP)

I applied mine in the bathroom after leaving the shower on hot for a while (it was ridiculously steamy), but I actually peeled the ENTIRE protector off after I spent all the time applying it and the re-applied it in a hurried manner. I ended up with 1 small bubble on the edge and 2 little bits of fuzz.

I decided not to re-do it right away and live with it and it has been awesome since. I don't even notice the fuzz at all and while the fingerprints are the same, they never really bothered me to begin with.

I love being able to throw my keys in with my phone in my gym bag and not have to worry anymore.:icon_ banana:

WebmastuhB

Reaction score
I dunno man, I must not be doing something right. I counted 45 bubbles on the top 1/3 of the actual screen (before I gave up counting in futility). Most are the size of a pin head, but some are the size of a small seed. The amount of bubbles on the lower 2/3rds is less, but still noticeable.

And it was a slow, frustrating application process.

The edges that are not the actual screen are less than more than 50% bubbled. They won't stick no matter what I do.

Its tolerable, I guess. But I'm not happy with it. Especially for $12 or whatever I paid.

Anyone have suggestions?

the5rivers

Reaction score
I got my SGP crystal about a week ago, and the following is how I applied it. These methods have also been echoed by other members as well. Before I started, I did take the protector out and place it on my screen just to see how it was cut, and get an idea of how I would place it on my screen when I was ready to put it on.

-I did it in my bathroom, and made sure it was very steamy (mirrors were fogged up). More steam the better IMO.
-I took my Droid and placed it on the retail box that it came in. I wiped down the screen with a microfiber cloth, and then sprayed it with compressed air to remove any specks/dust/fibers that were on it. I did this numerous times until the screen was spotless and shiny.
-I started with the speaker cutout end of the phone facing me (upside down). I peeled back the adhesive covering the Crystal protector, but only enough so that I could place the speaker cutout portion of it over the actual phone. This part was crucial in order to properly lay down the rest of the protector.
-Once I was able to place the speaker cutout portion of the Crystal protector on the screen, I used the squeegee to roll the rest of the protector on the phone while spraying some compressed air just to make sure nothing got underneath it. I found this method was best to limit any dust or particles somehow getting underneath the protector during application. I basically used the squeegee to roll the protector on, and the adhesive seamlessly just rolled off. My logic was to limit the amount of contact the protector had with the air while getting it on the screen quickly.
-I got the screen on how I wanted it, and I had a bubble around the speaker cutout, and one bubble on the edge of the bottom right corner near the "search" soft key. I used the squeegee to get most of the bubble out, and then i just used the microfiber cloth to remove any residual left over, because I was afraid that i would scratch the screen if i kept rubbing the squeegee on it. Again, I found this combo the best to remove bubbles. Use the squeegee to get the bubble to an edge, and then use the microfiber to squeeze out the little lines that are usually left.

My application is pretty good, near perfect in my opinion. There is a very slight pocket of air that comes up around the left edge of the speaker cutout, but it is negligible to me. Everything else looks great.

I hope it helps! Sorry for the length, I was just trying to reproduce my application process.

chops

Reaction score
lol i put it on in my kitchen and it is perfect. dont like the fingerprint marks on it i have to clean a couple times a day.

mixtape

Reaction score
Just ordered mine earlier this week :). Thank goodness for this thread. Much more detailed installation steps than what I hear is included in the package :biggrin:.

pudah

Reaction score
I have never had such problems with this or any other screen protector. The bubbles are normal and you work them out with a piece or cardboard or plastic or something. You use it like a squeegee to work the bubbles to the edges and they go away. I guess my best results had me peeling the backing off of the protector as I apply it so it no more is exposed than necessary.