Steel wool?

celtic11

Reaction score
Kind of a shot in the dark here but my droid 3 has little tiny scratches all over the screen. I think its from some sand when I was down at the outer banks a couple weeks back... anyways when I used to detail cars for a living we would sometimes use steel wool to remove small scratches in the windows. My initial thought is that it would destroy the glass but I'm just curious to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's a terrible idea.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
celtic11

celtic11

Reaction score
It does wonders on window glass but I wasn't sure how the gorilla glass compares to actual glass. Thanks for your reply though.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I wouldn't, if anything try a bit of polish. I don't know if gorilla glass is exactly the same as the glass on our car windows.

But yes I detail a little myself and it works wonders

tjs

Reaction score
Steel wool ( 4x) is used to polish furniture, but screens... don't know?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
celtic11

celtic11

Reaction score
Makes me wish I would have kept my old droid that had a scratch in the glass rather than sell it on ebay for $18. It had a dead screen and I would have gladly tested out the steel wool on it. Oh well. My scratches are not near as bad as the link posted above.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I've used a product called Novus on motorcycle plastic to remove scratches. And even used it on CD's and Wii games that were too scrathed to play with success. So I would recommend a plastic polish starting with the finest compound and a micro fibre cloth. If you do this, use just enough so you don't ruin the phone with the liquid. Maybe even tape off any openings. I use another product called Plexis, a plastic polish, to clean my phone. Just a thought.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

Nausicaa

Reaction score
Put a screen protector on it, you won't see it again!

z96Cobra

Reaction score
If you've successfully used steel wool on auto glass, I'd bet you have more experience/knowledge on glass polishing than 99.9% of the folks here. Maybe contact Corning to see if they can give you any advice. At least poke around their site to see what info they have.