Status of Verizon Data Privacy

Ballard_st

Reaction score
Can anyone explain, or link to an article about, the current status of what data verizon tracks? We used to hear all about things like the following, but I can't find any new info:

¤ IQ Carrier was a big deal, but Verizon claimed not to use it

¤ A Verizon executive bragged about 8 months ago the they can see everything their customers do on their phones

¤ At one point Verizon had options to opt out of certain data tracking. Is this still a thing? Does this encompass all of the data verizon tracks?

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every carrier can see everything you do, period. They are an ISP. They see every number you dial, every domain/IP you resolve, every DNS query you do. The actual contents of the data session exist for approx. 24-36 hours at which time they are pruned.

Thanks to every phone having "e911" support they know where you are 24/7 365.

This isn't just VZW, this is ALL carriers. The only way around it Luis to not have a phone at all.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

Ballard_st

Reaction score
I know that have the ability to track most info, but that doesn't mean they do track everything. They have to track data usage, phone calls, etc., but do they actually track location, sites visited, apps used, etc.? Or, at least, do we know whether they do/claim to one way or the other?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We don't know if they "do" but they "can."

Which is all that matters really right?

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, the data that is stored is EVERY call record in or out, every data session, in or out (not the contents of the session), every DNS query, and call meta-data which includes: the phone number of every caller and recipient; the unique serial number of the phones involved; the time and duration of each phone call; and the location of each of the participants when the call happened.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
they have the ability to do so and can look into any matter should they please. it's a scary thought, but welcome to technology

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
if your really concerned you could run a vpn all the time (only hides data not calls/location etc), the connection between you and the vpn is encrypted so all the carrier can see is you connecting to the vpn site all the time, nothing more. there are a few good apps free or cheap and you can get a really good vpn for about $100yr unlimited.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
if your really concerned you could run a vpn all the time (only hides data not calls/location etc), the connection between you and the vpn is encrypted so all the carrier can see is you connecting to the vpn site all the time, nothing more. there are a few good apps free or cheap and you can get a really good vpn for about $100yr unlimited.

You can also install Orbot, which is a free Tor client. It can be slow, but it works. Alternatively, there is a messenger app that uses XMPP (GTalk) that will encrypt your chat sessions.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
You can also install Orbot, which is a free Tor client. It can be slow, but it works. Alternatively, there is a messenger app that uses XMPP (GTalk) that will encrypt your chat sessions.

yea tor is garbage imo, i would rather pay a few dollars a month for unlimited speed and bandwidth.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
You know any that support Android?

they dont have to support it directly, i have an app where you just enter your vpn addy and login and pass. there are several apps that are setup for this purpose.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
they dont have to support it directly, i have an app where you just enter your vpn addy and login and pass. there are several apps that are setup for this purpose.

there are apps though that have vpn for android directly, i dont want to name names because some are paid. hideninja is one free one though