Static and Poor Auxiliary Cable Connection

Droidram56

Reaction score
I am otherwise pleased with my Bionic, but I experience an annoying whine and static when I connect the device to both an auxiliary cable and car charger at the same time when playing music in my truck via Spotify, Pandora, or other music apps.

I took it to the retailer where I bought the phone. We tried other auxiliary cables and chargers and those weren't the problem. We tried another Bionic and a Droid Razr and got the same whine and static. We tried an HTC phone and the noise was much less.

Unfortunately Verizon customer service will not swap me to a different OEM's device, telling me that Moto has promised a software fix. But this noise has been going on for months and has not been fixed in several updates.

Another issue is that that connection to the auxiliary cable is poor and I sometimes have to jiggle the cable to get a connection.

Anyone else have these issues and did you find a resolution?

Thanks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jayman350

Reaction score
you can get a replacement from VZW for the headphone jack issue, Moto has a 1 year warranty on manufacturer defects. I got 3 replacement D1's b/c of faulty headphone or usb jacks. Certified Like New Replacements are hardly that, so its kind of a crap shoot.

the 902 update was supposed to fix the whine you are experiencing, I'm not sure what update you are on, but after you get the replacement from VZW you could try and update to 902 (if it doesn't come w/ it already on there).

I noticed a significant decrease in the whine after updating to 902, but it is still there, just not nearly as loud and annoying as before.

OP
Droidram56

Droidram56

Reaction score
I already updated to 902 and it did not make any difference in my case. Thanks, though.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I know the pandora app has issues with crackling in the sound output, but I don't know about any other services like spotify. Google play music, on the other hand, is clear as a bell no matter where I play it. I stopped using the Pandora app and started using Google music instead specifically for this reason.

IanG

Reaction score
I experience the same issue on a replacement Bionic as well (first Bionic did this too). The whine will change levels as I rev the car. I only hear the whine when I am NOT playing music - the moment my phone starts to play music or engage in a phone call, or any sound for that matter, the whine goes away. :\

OP
Droidram56

Droidram56

Reaction score
That's what I get, regardless of which music app I'm running.

silvereagle1988

Reaction score
I am otherwise pleased with my Bionic, but I experience an annoying whine and static when I connect the device to both an auxiliary cable and car charger at the same time when playing music in my truck via Spotify, Pandora, or other music apps.

I took it to the retailer where I bought the phone. We tried other auxiliary cables and chargers and those weren't the problem. We tried another Bionic and a Droid Razr and got the same whine and static. We tried an HTC phone and the noise was much less.

Unfortunately Verizon customer service will not swap me to a different OEM's device, telling me that Moto has promised a software fix. But this noise has been going on for months and has not been fixed in several updates.

Another issue is that that connection to the auxiliary cable is poor and I sometimes have to jiggle the cable to get a connection.

Anyone else have these issues and did you find a resolution?

Thanks.

I was using the headphone jack and using a cable to the aux input jack in my car. I connected the phone to the car charger and plugged it into the cigarette lighter/aux charger input. Whenever I was listening to Pandora or music from SD card while the car was running I was getting static and general noises from the car engine. If I unhooked the car charger the noise would go away but when plugged back in the noise would return.

I went to my local Verizon store and they said that Verizon did not have a filter for this problem.

I went to Radio Shack and they have a product that costs about $3 to cure this problem. It is called a "Snap choke Core". It is a little piece of plastic that snaps over your car charger cable. Two come in a package. Two were needed on one car charger cable. There is no rewiring or anything... just a simple snap of plastic.

It helps prevent electric magnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI). It snaps over the coax, audio or AC Cord.

I got a18x29 5x5 5mm ferrite core.

The Radio Shack bar code is 0 40293 64760 6

Dolly

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks y'all! I have this same problem on my bionic while charging and listening to audiobooks in my car I've downloaded on my phone. I'll run out and get that little gadget.

Last edited:

Dolly

Reaction score
I went to Radio Shack and this Item was not in stock, and according to the employee, no longer available.

silvereagle1988

Reaction score
Radio shack web site has the ferrite core and in store check for availability.

I went to Radio Shack and this Item was not in stock, and according to the employee, no longer available.

Don't you just hate it when you come across a clerk who doesn't know how to do their job...

Go to the Radio Shack website and search for ferrite core.

RadioShack http://www.radioshack.com/home/index.

Snap Choke Core - RadioShack.com for direct link to ferrite core

It is listed as Model: 273-069 | Catalog #: 273-069 Snap Choke Core Price: $2.89

When you locate the item on Radio Shack's website you can either order, or on the right side above "add to cart", you can click "In-Store" and you can enter your zip code and how many miles you want to search from your zip. It will tell you if they are in stock at that store. There were 10 stores, near my zip code, that had them in stock.

When you check your zip code, you may notice, that when you order on the website, there is free shipping for in-store pick-up.

BTW... Another thing I noticed is even with the ferrite core, that if the volume is turned down on my droid, the static returns. I turn the radio volume down (so I don't get blasted away), turn the Droid volume all the way up, and the static goes away. I can then turn the radio volume up to the listening level that I want and no static. I can play my radio with the volume all the way up, if I want to, and I get no static.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:

Dolly

Reaction score
Thanks so much. The clerk actually went on line and searched for the part. I'll order. I should have looked for it myself.