State Your Droid PRO'S & CON'S

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ThePhoneGuy, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Member

Ratings:
    +1
    droid manual http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...tatic-Files/DROID_UG_Verizon_68000202474a.pdf

2. normwerner

normwerner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I've had my Droid since last Friday, so I've had a bit of time to play and add apps and see what it will do, at least for me. I'm not into music, so I haven't tried anything in that realm except to set up a Pandora radio station, which works fine. I was more interested in finding out how closely I could tie it into the rest of my home office compute environment - what things that I can do or share between my desktop (now mostly used as a file and porint server) and my laptop over my WIFI net.

Let me preface the remainder of this post by admitting that I'm little more than a power user of PC's. I'm not a techie, although I'd admit to be a wanta-be sometimes. I've been around PCs since they were invented and worked for Digital Equipment Corp in sales when they were invented (that may give you a clue that I'm also and old dude). I'm not afraid to install hardware or software into PC's but I haven't a clue how to write software. I do create and maintain several Web sites, but that is just knowing how to use a good Website development tool. I'm basically a user, who knows just enough to get into deep dodo every now and then, but who isn't afraid to try things.

The good news for me is that I can share almost everything that I need to access. I have installed the Estongs File Manager and the DocsToGo Apps and set up my WIFI network to allow access to my laptop and desktop files. This all works grerat. I can "see" my word and excel and powerpoint and pdf files from the phone and can copy them and paste them into the phones file space. Once they are there, I can open and manipulate them as needed with DocsToGo and then send them as attachments via email. I have all of my email accounts routed through one account that also forwards to the phone, which means that I can do useful email work while on the road. I'm currently a Realtor and I can get to my local MLS database and "see" any listed property and even schedule a showing on-line with some of them. This is all good stuff to me.

My next challenge will be figuring out how to print a file from the phone, either over Bluedtooth or over the WIFI net. I have yet to find any printer drivers to install or haven't really even figured out what I need to do that.

There were certainly lots of moments of frustration inthe first couple of days as I figured out how to navigate to the functrions that I was trying to use or how to order and install stuff or other "learning curve" issues; however, overall I must say that I'm quite impressed with what one can do with this little wonder Droid.

3. T6D16C84

T6D16C84 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Seems to me that 90% of the questions people have involving "How do I....." can be answered by a long tap....LOL

4. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    exactly! There are all kinds of options and settings hidden by long presses lol

5. MdicnMan

MdicnMan Member

Ratings:
    +3

Speed dial for VM is on the bottom left of the phone screen.

6. jimboman

jimboman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tons of Pro's, and POTENTIAL.

Cons:
    No way to shut off screen while charging (burn in).
    Web page rendering could be improved, but load as fast as WiFi/3G allow - which is great.
    Few GOOD Apps, although that will inevitably change.
    No way to schedule turning on/off (great BB Feature that I miss).

Overall, quite pleased with the Droid overall, and a lot of this stuff is nitpicking.

7. MdicnMan

MdicnMan Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I would love to see an OS update that would add this.

8. netboy47

netboy47 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tapping the power button will turn off the screen even while charging.

Scheduling turning off works with the Locale app

What I keep finding is that for most issues, there already is a solution.:)

9. jimboman

jimboman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I stand corrected re power button and charging!

As far as auto on/off, this should be native function to the OS, and not an app that requires user inputs to define various non-relevant criteria (location, as an example). Again, nitpicking here but should be EASY to solve.

10. loboblanco

loboblanco Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is speed dial for voicemail access. Just go into phone and hold down the 1 key and it will dial your voicemail. You can also edit the number so that it adds your password in automatically every time you call.

11. netboy47

netboy47 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a way to program the other numbers besides the 1?

12. otaku

otaku Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A big con for me is one that I haven't seen mentioned much: The volume rocker. It's way too sensitive. I am constantly changing the volume of my phone, and it's real annoying. Maybe with more practice I will get used to it.

Another con I haven't seen mentioned, and I could be wrong here, but I see no way of selecting text (not entered text) on a Web page or in an e-mail. For instance, if someone sends me a string of text to type in Google, or a link that didn't get formatted by the e-mail program as a link, or a tracking number, I can't select that text, copy it, and paste it into the browser! Drives me crazy! I loved how my old Blackberry tried to find things like phone numbers in e-mails and made them selectable so I could dial directly from an e-mail or other location, on the Droid I'd have to write down the number on a piece of paper, then go to the phone app and type it in. Wtf? Copy and paste of ALL text would be appreciated.

Those are the two major cons I haven't seen much mention of. Of course, as always, the camera needs work too.

Search tags for this page
do droids support in and out of holster notifications

droid pros

droid pros and cons from verizon
pros and cons of droids
pros on droids