State of the Droid Turbo: 2 months in

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
All 4 of my Droid razr maxx's work like new.. 2 of them are rooted and haven't had the cache cleared or data resets done in over a year.. So.. Idk.. Snappy as they ever were..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The occasional FDR after a major OS update or after a year or two of use is simply a normal part of owning a smartphone. So many people are against performing this action, but if performed correctly, (ie: backing up necessary contacts, files & settings) it shouldn't be as painful as folks make it out to be. And the end results are well worth the trouble imo.

S5 tap'n

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Even Verizon's own Flexible Glass screen protector isn't cut out properly, missing the bottom two emitter cutouts!

Ahhh, that must be it. It works, just slow and buggy. Active display works great with a wave of the hand, but silencing an alarm or call with a wave did not work consistently well.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The occasional FDR after a major OS update or after a year or two of use is simply a normal part of owning a smartphone. So many people are against performing this action, but if performed correctly, (ie: backing up necessary contacts, files & settings) it shouldn't be as painful as folks make it out to be. And the end results are well worth the trouble imo.

S5 tap'n
I totally agree... People are so dead set against doing fdr's.. But it takes a few minutes.. Then Yeah... You have to reinstall and refreeze.. But it keeps the device going.. And its quicker than trying to figure out a bunch of little problems that are glitches from needing to do a reset..

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I'd have to say I'm not for it. Not that I can't. I just don't feel I should have to, to have a good user experience. Now knowing I may need to I'll be prepared.

Question. If you receive a couple OS updates then perform a FDR does it roll back your updates or does it retain them?

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I totally agree... People are so dead set against doing fdr's.. But it takes a few minutes.. Then Yeah... You have to reinstall and refreeze.. But it keeps the device going.. And its quicker than trying to figure out a bunch of little problems that are glitches from needing to do a reset..

It's fairy painless. Copy your data over to your PC, fdr, and then Google Play will reinstall all your apps in batch. Then just copy back the data files. It's in total a few hours of waiting, but only a few minutes of actual attentive work.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'd have to say I'm not for it. Not that I can't. I just don't feel I should have to, to have a good user experience. Now knowing I may need to I'll be prepared.

Question. If you receive a couple OS updates then perform a FDR does it roll back your updates or does it retain them?
It retains them as the new factory image. Example.. When we receive 5.whatever lollipop... It will be the phones stock os..

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It's fairy painless. Copy your data over to your PC, fdr, and then Google Play will reinstall all your apps in batch. Then just copy back the data files. It's in total a few hours of waiting, but only a few minutes of actual attentive work.

In Theory. In practice it misses quite a few apps. Consistently. This from a guy that fdr'ed his RAZR many times. And my Turbo didn't catch them all when I switched either.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the 'average' smartphone user does not know how to copy their data to a computer, or how to restore things back. Those of us on this forum, sure we know the general idea of it. I shouldn't HAVE to reset my phone. That being said, I really hope that TDL1068 is right, and a FDR won't be as necessary these days, and going forward. It's an inconvenience, plain and simple.

Sent from my Note 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Honestly Jackie, I haven't experienced the so-called lag after one year that you describe for Motorola phones. I think a generalization like that is misleading. I had terrible lag with a Samsung Galaxy S4 only a few months after activation. I also had terrible battery life causing me to have to carry spares. That said, IMHO, YRMV. I wouldn't make such a generalization about Samsung phones.

If there was such a manufacturer wide problem it would be all over the forums, news and reviews.

I respect that you work in the industry and that you may have seen what you believe to be a higher than normal number of Motorola phones exhibiting such symptoms but perception can often be reality for people. Until someone shows me actual statistical data to prove such a problem exists, I would say that it would be a disservice to members to spread such a generalization.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Anything mechanical or electronic.. Especially when powered by software and that incorporates data being stored and deleted, without a clean wipe of all files and directories.. Will always leave residual pieces of data.. And this is just like having garbage in your gas tank.. So until the install and delete process is "clean" .. There's always going to be a need for factory resets. Especially since data on its own, can corrupt..

Also.. There's not necessarily a need to back up data to a pc.. That's why clouds have become so popular.. Now.. If those clouds perform as advertised.. That's another story..

Doh.. Got ninja'd by @FoxKat

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
There's no question, any device can and will lag. I just tend to see it happen more frequently on Moto phones. Definitely not saying anything bad about Moto, as I absolutely loved each Moto I owned. I think like anything, how a person takes care of their device will determine the longevity of it. I really try and get people to understand that your smartphone is a mini-computer and just like you should reboot a computer every few days, the same applies to the phone. Unfortunately, so many people don't grasp it, or they just don't care. I never had an issue with any of my iterations of the Maxx, but I had a new phone each year because of work, plus I know how to take care of it.
Please do not think that I am trying to 'talk down' Motorola, because that is simply not the case. I am just genuinely curious. Then again, I don't know how anyone can go more than 2 years with the same phone, but I'm a tech junkie lol

Sent from my Note 4

Reactions: cr6

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I really try and get people to understand that your smartphone is a mini-computer and just like you should reboot a computer every few days, the same applies to the phone.

I miss having root, because I could schedule a reboot nightly.

My phone definitely needs rebooted every few days. I don't think it's the Turbo or Anroid, I think it's my launcher and maybe a few apps.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well thank you for clarifying, Jackie. I certainly appreciate your input on our (yours and my) forum, so I don't want you to think that I was being critical of you either. I just don't want others to get the wrong impression of what you were saying or to believe that this forum is "manufacturer X" unfriendly. All manufacturers have their good and bad points, and even more complicating is that what some see as a flaw or negative others may see as a positive.

Some like heavily laden overlays in their phones and others prefer the closest to a plain vanilla Android as they can get.

Some find that the radios in one or another phone are good and depending on where they live and what the coverage is, to them their opinion is justified.

I am interested in knowing if there is any truth to what you raise, and so just like you mentioned, I'd like to know what could be behind it.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Based on the subject above, I decided to do a quick search of the following and below are the results from Google. Your normal expectation might be that to find the word "lag" in the results would be due to complaints of lag. Now let's be fair, just because "lag" is in the results doesn't mean the phone HAS lag, in fact it may mean that it DOESN'T have lag when compared to others so don't use the quantities of results as a basis for ranking. It's just that the results may be a bit shocking overall.

Also, Lenovo and Motorola were searched separately but as we all know, now they're one and the same however they were at one time distinctly different so the results could be combined or viewed separately. I've sorted them by the most results to the least;

"LG phone" + "lag" - About 175,000 results (0.42 seconds)
"Samsung phone" + "lag" - About 63,900 results (0.22 seconds)
"HTC phone" + "lag" - About 27,300 results (0.28 seconds)
"Motorola phone" + "lag" - About 17,900 results (0.21 seconds)
"Apple phone" + "Lag" - About 10,600 results (0.29 seconds)
"Sony phone" + "lag" - About 9,900 results (0.27 seconds)
"Lenovo phone" + "lag" - About 6,810 results (0.54 seconds)

So what does this all tell us? Well, it is subject to interpretation but what it definitely does tell us is that some phone manufacturers have greater discussion and review mentioning "lag", but as said above that could be a good thing or a bad thing. Until I could possibly cull from those results all those that are discussing lag they actually experienced with that phone manufacturer versus the same with another it is inconclusive.

We might say that discussion of lag is more likely to be due to lag being present rather than being absent so if that were true then the results above may be largely indicative of which phones have greater discussion of users who have experienced some form of lag. Anyway, I see Motorola in the middle of the pack, so we could expect that maybe Motorola phones are about average. This is where we must take into account marketshare. Motorola has no where near the saturation as Samsung or Apple have, so those results are misleading.

We could look at the Apple results and interpret the relatively small results against the HUGE marketshare as being indicative of a phone that is less likely to suffer lag, and I think that's a fair statement anyway. Apple phones are restrictive in what you can do with them, they are using proprietary processors, a proprietary OS (both designed to work best with each other), and there is far less customization available on them, so it may stand to reason that they would suffer less lag for those reasons at least.

Why do I bother to do this? Well, it's because I feel like at times one or another phone may get a bad rap and not necessarily for good reason. I believe that ALL the phones out there perform as expected in the lab, and during the testing phase (which is a controlled environment), but that some of them may not perform nearly as well in the real world. It's however the real world that we all live in so the real world results are the ones we should be most interested in.

I'd be real interested in hearing from users of Motorola Turbo phones (i.e. the topic of the thread), and what results they are experiencing regarding lag, whether good or bad. At the very least, we'll have a good indication of what to expect going forward for those who own them and those who are contemplating buying them.