Starting to have 2nd thoughts on the Droid

tlq

Reaction score
I'm enjoying the droid, but there's still many items they need to rough the edges out of. I think majority of people might just be as happy with the droid eris instead, it seems a bit more polished.

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
as most of the people here in the forum says, the droid is a first generation product and it will have issues of its own. but again, as a first gen, this phone is way better than other first gen smartphones.

if your having a hard time deciding if droid is for you, you should really experience it extensively first hand either in store or with someone you know that has a droid and then decide if it is "the one"..

but whatever path your gonna take, as long as it works for you then thats the best phone.

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
I'd try it and make your own opinion. You gotta realize with anything new people are going to have negative opinions because it's not like their old phone.

I take personal opinions on here with a grain of salt. Plus people like to be angry on the internet =P

joewinograd

Reaction score
You should be aware that the Droid Motorola (and Droid HTC Eris) cannot voice dial via Bluetooth, meaning you cannot make a hands-free call. With so many states having strict driving laws about this, the lack of this feature is a deal-breaker for many folks. All the talk after the Android 1.x releases was that Android 2.0 would provide this feature, but on the Verizon Droid Moto, it doesn't. Perhaps it will be in the 11-Dec release, but I've seen no confirmation on that. I'd be willing to pay for this feature, but I can't even find an Android Market app (free or paid) that does it. Considering that low-end phones have been able to voice dial via Bluetooth for many years now, this is a stunning omission in the latest-and-greatest smartphone. Regards, Joe

A

apeshitninja

I love my droid, haven't had any problems with it yet. Remember that not only is it a 1st gen peice of hardware, but its also a new Android release. Many of the limitations people are complaining about are softeare related and can/will (hopefully) be fixed over time.

And as for the keyboard complaints... the onscreen keyboard works very well.

...posted from my droid.

Last edited by a moderator:

joewinograd

Reaction score
Yes, this is a good point about Android. I'm not knowledgeable about the innards of Android and I could be wrong on this, but I believe the issue of voice dial via Bluetooth is that the Android OS does not support it, which is why there are no Market apps that do it. The OS routines aren't even there for apps to invoke. I've read that Android 2.1 is a bug-fix only release, so it's unlikely to provide this capability. One alternative may be the Droid HTC Eris, which does have a voice dialer (I don't think the Droid Moto does), combined with a BlueAnt Q1, which has the ability to access a phone's voice dialing when you say "phone commands". Has anyone tried this with an Eris and a Q1? Thanks, Joe

wsbsteven

Reaction score
In California there isn't a provision for dialing in the Hands Free Law.

23123. (a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while using a wireless telephone unless that telephone is specifically designed and configured to allow hands-free listening and talking, and is used in that manner while driving.

The droid would qualify when used with a BT headset.

joewinograd

Reaction score
Yes, California allows it and even provides an exemption for dialing under the text messaging law, 23123.5:

(c) For purposes of this section, a person shall not be deemed to be writing, reading, or sending a text-based communication if the person reads, selects, or enters a telephone number or name in an electronic wireless communications device for the purpose of making or receiving a telephone call.

However, not all laws are so lenient. And even if the law allows it, some drivers are not comfortable taking their eyes off the road to do it. Looking at the screen to scroll through contacts or type in a name or dial a phone number is not much different from texting, which is why some laws don't allow it (one I know for sure is Ontario, Canada). Regards, Joe

Reaction score
Tasks don't sync for Exchange, but, if one really needs that, well, "there's an app for that!"

Having used many phones and being pretty familiar with the capabilities of the top competitors, I can say the Droid is the unambiguous leader. There are a few things that need polishing, such as some of the business features, but on the whole, this phone will do more than any other.

There have been quite a few returns because of re-boots. However, it's not a high-risk problem: if yours reboots without reason, just take it back. The ones that don't do this reboot are utterly stable and dependable.

So, I say the Doid is the perfect platform. Any shortcomings are only software, and those will go away soon.

SoftwareForMe.com
Makers of PhoneMyPC

djstar2k2

Reaction score
i ts dope and and its way better than my G1 so u should try for ur self to see what like and what u dont

darreno1

Reaction score
Forums can give the wrong impression. It's important to read the problem threads completely before formulating an opinion on a particular issue. A good example is the GPS thread. Anyone just casually browsing will probably draw the conclusion there's a problem with the hardware and I won't be surprised if it has already made it's way to other forums/blogs, etc. However, it's now been determined it's a configuration problem on the network that only affects certain people.

Then there's the user error issue to also consider (which you already metioned). Let's face it, some folks are just not as tech savvy as others and are quick to jump to conclusions without first doing some research. Others are accustomed to doing things a certain away and will be equally quick to dismiss any device that does things a little differently or they would assume that function doesn't exist. It's just part of forum culture I guess.

Keeping all that in mind while browsing helps to put things in perspective.

Get the Droid, I'm sure you will be happy with it. The worst that can happen is you'll not like it and return it before the 30 days are up.

xyvyx

Reaction score
ditto, but...

I started to have some 2nd thoughts myself... still do I guess. I've been using a Blackberry 8310 for a few years now, which as my first smartphone. In a nutshell, that blackberry still beats the Droid (and iPhone) in day-to-day usability. I mean the basic stuff... keyboard usability, finding contacts & communicating with them via txt/email or voice.

That said, the Blackberry app support, browsers, speed, camera, etc... are all sub-par compared to these newer platforms.

The reason I'll stick with my Droid is because I have a sort of faith in Google that I just don't with most other companies... not Verizon, not RIM and certainly not Apple. This device has all the hardware potential I need right now... if some of the apps are kinda buggy, I can deal with that for awhile.
In my case:
a) my 2nd night of droid ownership, I was testing out wifi & got it connected to my home network. When I got up in the morning, I was annoyed to find that my alarm hadn't gone off... because the battery was toast. I assume it was due to active wifi usage of some sort... not sure
b) during a phone call, I got a message about the google phone service/app not responding & had to do a "force close"... the call was still working fine, but that command killed it.
c) the position of the buttons & sensitivity sometimes makes it difficult to juggle w/o switching modes/apps. Not as bad once you get used to it.
d) it's a tad heavy & hard to use the keyboard if you're layin' in your bed upside down :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can see why you are worried about purchasing the Droid. I myself have had no problems whatsoever with this phone. It doesn't really matter, but if it makes you feel any better, I got my Droid on release day. I've read around this forum and did notice alot of people have problems with their units. Maybe I, along with others, are just lucky to not receive defective units.

If it makes you feel any better about purchasing one, there's a major OS update coming on Dec. 11th. This update should fix any problems the phone is having. Hope you can decide, but I have to say, it is much better than the Storm 2, and I'm coming from a WinMo phone and i love it more than WinMo.

darreno1

Reaction score
I started to have some 2nd thoughts myself... still do I guess. I've been using a Blackberry 8310 for a few years now, which as my first smartphone. In a nutshell, that blackberry still beats the Droid (and iPhone) in day-to-day usability. I mean the basic stuff... keyboard usability, finding contacts & communicating with them via txt/email or voice.

That said, the Blackberry app support, browsers, speed, camera, etc... are all sub-par compared to these newer platforms.

The reason I'll stick with my Droid is because I have a sort of faith in Google that I just don't with most other companies... not Verizon, not RIM and certainly not Apple. This device has all the hardware potential I need right now... if some of the apps are kinda buggy, I can deal with that for awhile.
In my case:
a) my 2nd night of droid ownership, I was testing out wifi & got it connected to my home network. When I got up in the morning, I was annoyed to find that my alarm hadn't gone off... because the battery was toast. I assume it was due to active wifi usage of some sort... not sure
b) during a phone call, I got a message about the google phone service/app not responding & had to do a "force close"... the call was still working fine, but that command killed it.
c) the position of the buttons & sensitivity sometimes makes it difficult to juggle w/o switching modes/apps. Not as bad once you get used to it.
d) it's a tad heavy & hard to use the keyboard if you're layin' in your bed upside down :)

You have had years to get used to the Blackberry. You need more time with the Droid IMO.

Also I will disagree with your very first statement somewhat. Besides the keyboard (which I will agree on), sending texts/emails to or looking up contacts can't be any easier on the Droid.

To message or email:
Select the contact > select the message or email icon > start composing.

To find a contact:
From the home screen hit search > start typing the name