Starter guide?

Dregash

Reaction score
Hi,

So, i'm a few hours into sifting through the info about putting a different Rom on my droid2. I've decided that i would like to go with CM7, however i can not find any download locations or guides to get me started.

Sorry for being "that guy" but, I just can't find anything. or people are using acronyms for things that i don't know what they're referencing.

If any one could point me in the right direction... i don't necessarily need it spelled out for me.

thanks
the noob :D

havens1515

Reaction score
There's two download locations right now, the official nightlies are on the CyanogenMod site, the unofficial nightlies are on RevNumbers' site.

The only difference between the two are that RevNumbers' releases have 1% battery icons in the notification bar.

Since you said you have never put a new ROM on your phone before, you will not need to sbf as you are already on the official firmware.

You will need to root, if you haven't done so already. The easiest way is with z4root. Google around a little bit, find the apk and install it. Z4 may take a few tries to work. If it takes more than a minute or 2, press home, reopen the app, and try again. Then you need Droid 2 bootstrapper. That you can get from the market if you are willing to spend a couple bucks, or do some Googling to find a free apk.

once you install the bootstrapper, click the first button (I think it says "Bootsrap phone" or something) then click the second button ("Reboot Bootstrap"?)

That will take you to clockwork recovery. ALWAYS BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING A NEW ROM. So choose backup, and it will start backing up your current (stock) ROM. From there, wipe data/factory reset. Wipe cache. Go to advanced and wipe Dalvik cache. Press delete (or the power button i think works too) to go back to the main menu. Then install zip from SD card -> choose zip from SD card -> and find the ROM you downloaded from either Rev's site or the CM site.

Your first boot will take extra long, don't be alarmed. Mine took 5 minutes or more to boot.

If you have any problems, come back here and we'll help you out.

Last edited:

havens1515

Reaction score
Oh, and I forgot one thing... once you are on CM7 DO NOT reinstall Droid 2 bootstrap. It will break the 2nd init process that the ROM uses. Once on CM7 you can get to recovery by pressing and holding the power button, selecting reboot, then selecting recovery.

If D2 bootstrap is on it when you load the ROM, uninstall it to make sure that you don't use it by accident.

d4dEf@c@

Reaction score
You should definitely get your ducks in a row first. Did you check this thread?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cyanogenmod-d2/154065-rom-beta-cyanogenmod-7-droid-2-a.html

Are you currently at a factory state (blur and froyo) or have you messed with going gingerbread through another means?

If you are stock, the easiest way is to start with root (z4 root works fine with D2, although it may take a couple of tries to get it to stick), then get Clockwork Recovery. If you want the nightlies the easiest way pay for the app and use it to manage. If you don't want the paid, you can use the app to flash and get the DL's from the cyanogen thread.

Rooting: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...asy-guide-rooting-backup-rom-flashing-d2.html

Cyanogen links: CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

There is probably something else, but these should get you going in the right direction. Do your homework, read before you flash!

Hope that helped.

OP
D

Dregash

Reaction score
Sorry i had intended to post a little more info about my phone, but i guess i spaced it at work here.

i'm running a factory droid2 with froyo. I had seen that thread, however it seemed to be written for those who were experienced. also the giant [BETA] in the tittle put me off ;)

Thanks, for your help guys, I'll dig around some more on the links you guys left for me when i get the chance.

havens1515

Reaction score
The only thing I left out of my guide (which I thought of after looking through K.C.s links) is backing up your apps. So yeah, do a little more looking around, and take the plunge when you're ready.

I spent WEEKS in these forums before flashing my phone for the first time. It's always nice to know what to do in case of an emergency (And in my case, I came back here and asked more questions :wink:)

Insidious

Reaction score
Hey sorry to seem like a thread bomber, but I've heard of a monster file that sbf's and flashes CM7 from the GB .591 leak. Does anyone know where I can find this because im on a tiered verizon data plan for my laptop and want to save those precious mb's!

Sent from my Droid Bionic!

deejay1111

Reaction score
Hey sorry to seem like a thread bomber, but I've heard of a monster file that sbf's and flashes CM7 from the GB .591 leak. Does anyone know where I can find this because im on a tiered verizon data plan for my laptop and want to save those precious mb's!

Sent from my Droid Bionic!

I decided to just start fresh so I SBF'd and flashed from Froyo, but I did save the link to P3Droid's All-in-One for CM7. Hope it works for you :)

CM7 Beta Compliments of JBirdVegas and MetiCKOne