start up programs

russ472

Reaction score
Is there a way to turn off programs that start when the phone boots up (aka msconfig)?

I have to run task killer immediately after the phone boots.

My phone is rooted running Smoked Glass 5.0.1

MuzzleBuster

Reaction score
Kill the task killer.

Task killer apps " THE TRUTH" - Android Forums

They ruin your performance.

That's a load of bunk. Doesn't even pass the logic test. This requires more thinking than simple Linux worship. :icon_ owned:
Having 20 apps loaded into memory, at startup, with at least half of them doing something ruins performance (assuming you are not using them and you won't be in the very near future = that's common sense).

If I don't run task manager, the touchscreen gets a little goofy and opening anything that demands some memory takes forever, especially web sites. One thing I noticed the biggest difference is home>menu>settings>applications>Manage applications - the list populates but it takes twice as long to display icons and app size.
Proof right there.... also supported by logic. :icon_ goofy:

I've used "startup auditor" and found it starts the phone up in half the time after a power off. It doesn't have all the apps listed yet and it still improves performance overall. I've noticed a real difference since using it.
Really helped after I took the time to check "Keep Disabled" for certain apps.

Some people have their little crusade about task killers. That's wonderful. Good luck.
I've proven on my phone that not hogging memory helps performance.

But you do have to be smart enough to kill the task killer...... it's only logical. :i-m_so_happy:

benf101

Reaction score
Kill the task killer.

That's a load of bunk. Doesn't even pass the logic test. This requires more thinking than simple Linux worship. :icon_ owned:
Having 20 apps loaded into memory, at startup, with at least half of them doing something ruins performance (assuming you are not using them and you won't be in the very near future = that's common sense).

If I don't run task manager, the touchscreen gets a little goofy and opening anything that demands some memory takes forever, especially web sites. One thing I noticed the biggest difference is home>menu>settings>applications>Manage applications - the list populates but it takes twice as long to display icons and app size.
Proof right there.... also supported by logic. :icon_ goofy:

I've used "startup auditor" and found it starts the phone up in half the time after a power off. It doesn't have all the apps listed yet and it still improves performance overall. I've noticed a real difference since using it.
Really helped after I took the time to check "Keep Disabled" for certain apps.

Some people have their little crusade about task killers. That's wonderful. Good luck.
I've proven on my phone that not hogging memory helps performance.

But you do have to be smart enough to kill the task killer...... it's only logical. :i-m_so_happy:

Congratulations on your rant. We're all proud of you. :icon_ owned:

Moving right along... I was referring to an app like TaskPanel, which can run continually. LOGICALLY, you'd think that having it monitor your apps would keep the processes minimal, but TaskPanel, in and of itself, uses loads of memory, processes, cycles, whatever you want to call it. It make my droid run like poo poo.

You are right, in that fewer apps hogging resources helps performance. I think that is because this is not a quantum computer. What I do now is keep TaskPanel off and fire it up when my droid run like poo poo, then kill the memory hogs, and then I carry on. :icon_ banana:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
You always think you're the first to think of something and then you find it buried in these forums. Figure I'll dig this up for anyone interested. As there's already a decent rant in this thread, there is no need to start another Task Killer or no Task Killer debate.

I was simply looking for a program that would allow me to disable apps at startup vs. going into TasKiller and doing a kill all when the phone first boots. I just installed Startup Cleaner 2.0 which has more downloads/ratings than Starup Auditor. Doesn't seem highly effective to me; it could just be that I need to mess with it a little more or perhaps it's not been fully optimized for Froyo. Still the idea stands - some programs simply don't need to run until they are required.

brando56894

Reaction score
Ive been using Autostarts which essentially does the same thing and it definitely does help speeding up boot up/"login"

Kill the task killer.

The only time these processes affect performance is during boot up, after like 5 minutes (or less) they are all sleeping so they dont take any time away from the CPU and Android kills them when it needs more RAM.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Start-Up Manager in the Market works great for me, it only runs at start-up, greatly increasing boot times and eliminating text, email, and missed call notifications (if you remove these apps from start-up)

Root is Required

iPirate

Reaction score
I'm going to make an app That is a "Task Killer Killer" then we can see the performance gains!