Start the droid 5 page :)

lemmony

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Verizon.My droid 4 is almost ready to bite the dirt. Yes I confess I am a True blue Qwerty keyboard addict.. I was readying myself to do the unthinkable...
To confirm:
this is information from a Verizon representative who was very convincing that this is real and was so convinced this was real he steered me away from my planned purchase alternative (which was the Galaxy s4 and blue tooth slider keyboard)..

While discussing the current options and looking at the possibility's of the blue tooth keyboard add-on possibility the rep let it drop...

The Droid 5 Motorola is real!!
:icon_ lala: It is looking to make a release threw Verizon by the end of this fall, and if the stats quoted to me are correct it could be a very very nice piece of hardware unlike the mid-range rumors circulating on the web....1080p, large screen,rear and front cams,only 16g internal but does have removable sd, static charging ability and best of all....qwerty keyboard.....

Siouxsie

Reaction score
Please let it true, please let it be true. (clicking heels and turning round each time)
I am sick of waiting and hoping and praying someone would come out with a decent qwerty phone. Soon too cuz my D3 dino is showing signs of imminent death and I hate virtual boards.

Sent from somewhere down the rabbit hole.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I do hope its true for those who desire a keyboard for their phones, but the source isn't really credible. Verizon reps usually aren't too reliable when it comes to release information and Verizon does not tell them about it (or so they say). My guess is that the rep is a person who is interested in Android phones and just read a buncha rumors on the internet.

Me personally, I don't believe it. The D5 would've been out a long time ago if it were true. There are some "leaks" out there that have shown a possible D5, but those have been around for months, heck over a year already. Remember the D4 was released in early of 2012. If the D5 were to come it should've made its appearance last year, despite the fact that Moto was going through a complete change.

Just my .02

OP
L

lemmony

Reaction score
Yes unfortunately I am inclined to agree. I was very excited and hoped against all hope the Verizon rep was telling of some forbidden piece of knowledge he had , but alas I think it was just wishful thinking...

I have since that point researched other information that he had given me .....all of which was patented false......which leads me to believe this lead was as well....

My droid 4 has finally given up the ghost and I am now with the HTC (M8) which is not a bad piece of hardware, but still doesn't come close in keyboard capabilities to a true qwerty...I find my corporate emails take twice as long, are highly suspect as to content, and just not as snappy as they were when I had control of my keyboard.

Siouxsie

Reaction score
My D3 finally gave out and I am now using Dr's old D4. Have had my eye on the M7/M8/S5.
Besides the issue with your corporate emails, how do you like the M8 for everything else? Is the keyboard response decent? The camera? Does it seem like it will last a good length of time?
And finally do you have it in a case or no?
Thx, Siouxsie

OP
L

lemmony

Reaction score
My opinion is out of the options the M8 is heads and tails better then the M7 or the Samsung5. I think HTC definitely went into the cell phone tech wars loaded for bear with the M8 and the competition is so far blown away...if they would hurry up with a blue tooth attachable case/qwerty keyboard they would be Greek Pathions of cell phone creators..
Here is my reasoning:
1st The speakers are on the front with loud and awesome crystal clear sound quality. Why has no one thought of placing the speakers in the front b4?
2nd the memory.. tons more memory and upgradeable memory...125 rather than the 32..
3rd lighting fast....
4th.. sturdy feel. the metal frame i think is a nice feel and it doesn't look gaudy..
5th... while all phones have tons of useless bloatware the M8 at least lets you hide it out of sight without even having to root it..
6th... Picture quality is fantastic!!!!! Ive been comparing features between my buddys samsung5 and my M8 even after printing there is no comparison to picture quality with the M8.
7th. some very intuitive turn on and screen swipe and lock movements that make using a phone without a slider better then the average I phone wanna be.
8th if you dont want to risk warranty voiding with root just hide the bloat and download one of the google launchers like Nova or tesla and you wont see any lost speed and will have pretty much the same feeling as if you were rooted while keeping the security of warranty :)

*** Many more features but really it is such a good phone that you will buy it to hold onto for a few years and I dont want to take all the fun out of the finding things out on your own away from you. Lets just say I strongly recommend the M8 and you wont regret the decision.

debbiephillips

Reaction score
Motorola Droid 5

I had the Motorola Droid 2 for 2 years and now I have had the Motorola Droid 4 for over 2 years. time for a new phone. I keep waiting and waiting for a Motorola Droid 5. I only like and want a qwerty slider keyboard. I use my phone for work all waking hours so I must respond to emails and texts fast and as soon as possible. Without a qwerty slider keyboard it just makes my life difficult and not as productive which means I will make less money. It's bad enought that the dialer is touch. But for Motorola at this point to refuse to make it's customer's happy and release a Droid 5 is beyond me. When the Droid 4 came out it's because of them and Verizon they didn't sell a lot because they did not market it. You couldn't even see them on display at the stores. I bought my Motorola Droid 4 the first day it was released. So refusing to release a Droid 5 doesn't mean I will purchase another Motorola phone or Droid. They will have lost my business. If I have to purchase a phone that does not have a qwerty slider keyboard I will finally break down and purchase the phone I have been refusing to purchase over the years and that is an iphone. if I can't have a Motorola Droid 5 with a qwerty slider keyboard yes I will purchase an iphone, so screw you Motorola you will be boycotted for the rest of my life if you don't soon release a better upgraded phone that is currently known as the Motorola Droid 4.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Seen no sign of the droid 5 and Moto has been sold twice since the first rumors. It doesn't seem like the D5 is going to happen and it doesn't seem like many manufacturers are going to be coming out with physical keyboard devices.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With the market demanding larger panels yet still wanting a slim device we will be lucky to see one qwerty device a year and most of the time the specs for the device are miles away from what feature phones offer. Though I must say that having a qwerty is more accurate than touch screens, on screen keyboards have come a long way. But we saw this trend as many droid users at the time admitted to preferring the on screen over the physical and the explosion of larger devices (at the time) in the DX. Still though it would be nice to see a qwerty do not think the market is there. The demand is too little to go through the process. But do not give up hope Motorola may indeed make another qwerty just do not expect the specs to be to par. Personally I would rather get a s4 with Bluetooth keyboard case.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

kpoker

Reaction score
Does not look like this is coming. Not sure if I should try an iphone 5 or 6 at this point.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Does not look like this is coming. Not sure if I should try an iphone 5 or 6 at this point.

If you do go the iPhone route you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you got the 5. It is at it's End of Life phase later this year.