Starcraft on driod?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jamesib, Dec 27, 2009.

1. jamesib

jamesib New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking to see if its possible to actually get and play starcraft on my motorola droid. i would love nothing more then to sit at work and play this game, lol. if anyone have any suggestions or comments on this please post here or EMail me at Jamesib1988@gmail.com.

2. Benjamin Crist

Benjamin Crist Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder how that would work with the controls though. I feel like by the time you had 2 scvs/drones/probes built, you'd have a pack of zerglings tearing your base apart...

3. jamesib

jamesib New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well use touch screen as aa mouse to select units. and hold buttons and scroll on screen to look around. plus use keyboard as unit and building hotkeys. think it would work pretty well actually. i love this game and work gets boaring and slow somedays and i dont work with comps. if anyone has any ideas how this could be done it would be greatly appreciated. i own multiple copies of the game and have a legit cd-key. just want to play it on the go.

4. Darkbleed

Darkbleed New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There would be some copyright issues involved I'm sure.

5. zudien

zudien Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your problem here will not be hardware (although it might effect playability) your problem will be operating system emulation. Starcraft is a native windows program. The Droid is a linux enviroment. Now this is not a big problem since there are plenty of windows emulators out there for linux. However they tax the processor and probably your battery life as well.

What you are asking to do is to put a square peg through a round hole.

If someone were to port wine over to Android it would be slow and buggy and wouldn't run in the native resolutions for Starcraft anyways. As of this time, what you are asking is not available and will probably not be available for quite some time.

I would suggest making best friends with linux programmers and paying a lot of money and might be able to see realitvely bug free and playable version in the next 4 years. Otherwise I would find something else to play.

6. jamesib

jamesib New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    blah, well it was worth a try. think ill try my next idea and just get a N64 emu and get the rom. but damnit i want custom maps >.< thanks anywho.

7. zudien

zudien Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I did a little searching. You can run debian on the G1 with Android. So I guess it would be possible if you were to compile the kernel and get it running. I would learn assembly language to code the drivers.

However, I am correcting myself WINE is not a emulator. It's an implementation of DLLs and APIs and other routines and stuff that live in windows applications to run natively.

So a x86 emulator is your only choice at this point. JPC is x86 emulator that runs in Java (which runs natively in Android). However Android uses DalvikVM instead of the standard JavaVM so it will be a bit of bear to get JPC to run on Android. And as of right JPC can only run DOS, 3.0, and some small linux distros.

I think your best bet is to buy a netbook and play it on there :)

8. jamesib

jamesib New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i got a laptop but i think my boss might flip if i bring it into work lol. its all good though im not stressing it that much just really wanted to see if it would be possible. Thanks for the input man it was much appreciated.

9. Benjamin Crist

Benjamin Crist Member

Ratings:
    +0
  10. Benjamin Crist

Benjamin Crist Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's link for the Android port of ScummVM and it states in the FAQ link that Droid 2.0 is not supported, but 1.6 is (I believe that would mean Eris is in but MotoDroid need to wait a bit)

Home (scummvm-android)

11. omni

omni New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you may be able to play any game using phonemypc by remote connecting to the desktop. I was able to kinda play modern warfare 2 like that althgouh i'm sure theres better ways. you will have to adjust the keys and so on to make it workable for any game. maybe select units by double clicking instead of dragging etc. frame rate will be slower too obviously.

12. Fadikine

Fadikine New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the Starcraft was built for both Windows and Mac both on one disk. Blizzard has and continues to build applications that run on both platforms. (See, Starcraft, World of WarCarft etc.) Since this game is built for both operating systems, I would guess that it wouldn't be that hard to allow Starcraft to work on a Linux operating system since Mac is based on a Unix system (Free BSD I think) (Though I could be wrong).

13. zudien

zudien Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it would be quite difficult.

First of all, the current versions of Mac OS (OS X and later) are Unix certified.

HOWEVER they are not linux or FreeBSD. They use their own propietary display server (Quartz). Furthermore, Starcraft does not natively come with OS X support. It must use a patch to install it on OS X.

Now if you wanted to use the Mac version of Starcraft you would still be screwed because Android uses a Java Virtual Machine to display.

So the only major and viable way to play this is either remotely (RDP or VNC) or through OS emulation.

14. Polymira

Polymira Member

Ratings:
    +0
    someone got it running on the Nokia N900, not sure how it was accomplished... But it has been done.

15. SammR

SammR New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My friend has a samsung omnia (the older one) and someone was able to make Warcraft 2 work on it. So it seems possible, and yes i know that the Omnia is windows mobile...

Honestly i think it would be way to difficult to play. you would need a stylus to be precise at all, and any units you make would look like tiny smudges with green boxes around them. Not knocking the idea, it would be cool, but it would be very hard to play.

I think they need to get X-com for the droid... :happy:

Search tags for this page
best way to play starcraft on android
can starcraft 2 be played on a droid where is notepad
starcraft 1 port android
starcraft android

starcraft droid

starcraft droid x
starcraft emulator for andriod
starcraft emulator for android

starcraft for droid

starcraft rom for android