Star Wars: The Force Awakens Breaks New Records, $50 million in US in One Night & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
star-wars-the-force-awakens-main-logo.jpg

Here's a slick Off Topic Star Wars story for you folks today. Don't worry, there are no spoilers here, and in fact, this news probably won't come as a surprise. Star Wars: The Force Awakens has shattered previous records for opening night and more.

The first record that it broke was for advanced ticket sales. The film actually took in $100 Million in advanced ticket sales. That means it already made back half of its $200 Million production budget before it even opened in theaters!

The second record it broke was for the most money made on its opening night. It pulled in about $52 Million the first night it was available in wide release. This beat out the previous record holder which was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, which scored $43.5 million on its Thursday opening in 2011.

We suspect that this latest version of Star Wars isn't finished breaking records, and we are looking forward to finding out what other new milestones it can set. Of course, we are also looking forward to actually watching the movie too, but most of us here at HQ are waiting until the crowds have died down. How about you folks?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
So who went and saw it last night? Please no spoilers. :D

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
My wife and I are going to a Monday matinee. Already bought the tickets. There were plenty of seats left.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Saw it tonight, very few empty seats. Reserved seating is awesome and contributed to the empty seats I'm sure. Our go to theatre has leather reclining double wide seats with an armrest that folds up. I ended up with one to myself.

If you're a fan of Episodes IV, V and VI, I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with this one.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Saw it tonight, very few empty seats. Reserved seating is awesome and contributed to the empty seats I'm sure. Our go to theatre has leather reclining double wide seats with an armrest that folds up. I ended up with one to myself.

If you're a fan of Episodes IV, V and VI, I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with this one.
Westwood AMC? Love the double leather recliner.

mike0164

Reaction score
Hee hee hee. Went to the 9:45pm showing opening night. It was great. That's all I'm going to say for now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

nalgon

Reaction score
Who saw the marathon? It started at 1am on Thursday morning.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
What do you think? 500 million is 6 months?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I should have mentioned, they expect this movie to gross 1.95 billion making it the 3rd largest behind Avatar and Titanic.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

In the U.S. alone, a good chance. If it does $250M this week it has a great chance of hitting a large number next weekend, being Christmas and all. People will be looking for something to do kids home etc. Heck, around here people can't get tickets to most showings.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've never wanted to see Star Wars, but the hype has gotten to me. When I get bored this week, I'll make my way to it.