Star Wars Episode VIII : A new hope? (Gingerbread)

turdbogls

Reaction score
Please pardon my technical ignorance, but what's the big deal with Gingerbread? My TB works great - rarely had reboots and never do now after the last push. Battery life is greatly improved after the last push. Why is everyone obsessing over Gingerbread so much other than it just happens to be the latest and greatest - am I really going to notice anything new/different/fantastic when/if it does come to TB? I'm stock.
there really isnt much of a difference...it is just a little faster and more polished than froyo. battery life is supposed to be better but not a noticable difference.
the 2 main draws for me (the overscroll glow and screen off animation) are absent from the DINC 2 GB build, so waiting for the OTA was not going to happen.

DrewB

Reaction score
Man I'm sorry you are having such poor battery luck. I guess I'm lucky cus I'm on bamf rc4 and am getting 24 hours or more on a single charge. Like right now I'm on hour 25 with 42% left. It's probably dumb to ask this cus of ur sig but have u tried playing with ur oc/uc settings and using a smart governor?

sent from bamfed out bolt

Last edited:

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Man I'm sorry you are having such poor battery luck. I guess I'm lucky cus I'm on bamf rc4 and am getting 24 hours or more on a single charge. Like right now I'm on hour 25 with 42% left. It's probably dumb to ask this cus of ur sig but have u tried playing with ur oc/uc settings and using a smart governor?

I'm actually seeing better battery life today, probably just needed to let the battery calibrate a bit. The main thing for me this morning was I was on wifi for two hours and only lost 3 percent. On BAMF 1.8.6 I had a terrible battery drain problem on wifi, so at least on this ROM that problem doesn't exist.

I don't really care so much about going 24 hours, but I would like to go from waking up in the morning to going to bed at night without having to charge.

And yes, I underclock when the phone is sleeping/screen off.

00 formula

Reaction score
My battery life isn't great and not anywhere near as good as I had with my OD or D2 (never thought I'd say that) but it really is fairly decent compared to what you're describing. Have you tried watchdog to see if you have a "rogue app" as mentioned earlier? I noticed my battery life took a huge dive for a day or two, turned out linkedin was running in the background and taking up a massive amount of resources...uninstalled and reinstalled it and battery was back to normal, may not have caught it without the Watchdog app.

jogo21

Reaction score
I don't really care so much about going 24 hours, but I would like to go from waking up in the morning to going to bed at night without having to charge.

It's funny as I was thinking of posting on this topic. Have had phone for several months. Don't really have anything syncing just email. Wifi and gps turned off. Screen low. And I get inconsistent battery life. This morning i unplugged it around 6AM to a full charge and went on with my morning. I checked phone at around 8AM and was getting warning that phone needed to be charged. I hadn't done anything with phone-no calls, texts, emails, anything. That is unacceptable for a phone. I'm sure I'm going to be told to do this and that to save battery life. My point is I shouldn't have to stand on one leg and jump 12 times and say a magic chant to make phone work appropriately.

I like the phone but don't like that it has to be connected in order to enjoy it. I'm actually missing my blackberry storm 1 if you can believe it and that phone had plenty of issues.

Tell me that there is hope or do I need to wait for my contract to run out to go with a different phone.

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
When I first got mine back in March I was only getting about 4 hours of battery life. I get a minimum of 12 now and up to 24 isn't unusual. Not every thunderbolt is junk so why make it seem that way? I have tons of friends with this phone and guess what? No one has had the huge issues like you're saying especially in the quantity. I'm beginning to think that the few devices with issues are owned by cry babies who realize they should have waited for the bionic. Don't blame the device because you're impatient. Be thankful you're no longer stuck with a d1.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via DroidForums.

Reaction score
THIS DEVICE IS A NIGHTMARE. Hi, I'm Disturbed, and the disturbing thing about me is I have a 2750mah extended battery, 2 1400mah Stock OEM batteries, and 2 1600mah Amazon batteries. I also happen to notice that this is the worst device I've ever owned.
Sure, it's powerful and fast and has 4G but this device has faced as many setbacks as it's launch did. My battery life is terrible, there are reboots galore (there were), my device doesn't have gingerbread (officially anyways;) ), and I eat through about 4150mah a day doing practically nothing. This thread isn't about complaining though. This thread is asking if anyone believes there's hope. Is there hope for this device through Gingerbread? Please leave your answer/opinion:)

sent from a 1.5ghz-Cyanogen 'Bolt

This is the best phone I've ever had. I'm still on the stock ROM with the stock battery and I get 12 - 20 hours of battery life. Most days I don't even plug it in until I go to bed and I'm not a light user. I didn't experience the reboot issues either. So for me it pretty much met or exceeded expectations.

OP
XKXDISTURBEDXKX
Reaction score
Please pardon my technical ignorance, but what's the big deal with Gingerbread? My TB works great - rarely had reboots and never do now after the last push. Battery life is greatly improved after the last push. Why is everyone obsessing over Gingerbread so much other than it just happens to be the latest and greatest - am I really going to notice anything new/different/fantastic when/if it does come to TB? I'm stock.

Well, this thread is probably not for you then if you happened to get a good bolt but for those of us who are less fortunate the rumors of gingerbreads better task managing tactics to save battery (Which have been proven to extend battery life on devices such as the Inc 2 or DX who have received the official build) are very alluring

OP
XKXDISTURBEDXKX
Reaction score

I've ran every kernel from jdflg to imoyeson to adrenolyn to drod, I've used every governor, I'm currently on the AOSP BFS Drod. 9 30-slot, underclocked to 184mhz

OP
XKXDISTURBEDXKX
Reaction score
My battery life isn't great and not anywhere near as good as I had with my OD or D2 (never thought I'd say that) but it really is fairly decent compared to what you're describing. Have you tried watchdog to see if you have a "rogue app" as mentioned earlier? I noticed my battery life took a huge dive for a day or two, turned out linkedin was running in the background and taking up a massive amount of resources...uninstalled and reinstalled it and battery was back to normal, may not have caught it without the Watchdog app.

To be honest I have not, will check it out

OP
XKXDISTURBEDXKX
Reaction score

It's funny as I was thinking of posting on this topic. Have had phone for several months. Don't really have anything syncing just email. Wifi and gps turned off. Screen low. And I get inconsistent battery life. This morning i unplugged it around 6AM to a full charge and went on with my morning. I checked phone at around 8AM and was getting warning that phone needed to be charged. I hadn't done anything with phone-no calls, texts, emails, anything. That is unacceptable for a phone. I'm sure I'm going to be told to do this and that to save battery life. My point is I shouldn't have to stand on one leg and jump 12 times and say a magic chant to make phone work appropriately.

I like the phone but don't like that it has to be connected in order to enjoy it. I'm actually missing my blackberry storm 1 if you can believe it and that phone had plenty of issues.

Tell me that there is hope or do I need to wait for my contract to run out to go with a different phone.

If gingerbread doesn't change anything then I'm going with Droid Bionic, Dinc 2, or wait for the next Nexus phone to hit

00 formula

Reaction score

Did you go and check what was draining your battery at that point? Would seem to make sense to figure it out until your contract renews, you may litteraly have one app that's causing an issue and you can either easily fix that or sit back and complain until your contract renews.

OP
XKXDISTURBEDXKX
Reaction score
When I first got mine back in March I was only getting about 4 hours of battery life. I get a minimum of 12 now and up to 24 isn't unusual. Not every thunderbolt is junk so why make it seem that way? I have tons of friends with this phone and guess what? No one has had the huge issues like you're saying especially in the quantity. I'm beginning to think that the few devices with issues are owned by cry babies who realize they should have waited for the bionic. Don't blame the device because you're impatient. Be thankful you're no longer stuck with a d1.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via DroidForums.

You should probably just get of this thread if your going to try to be disrespectful and if your device doesn't have a problem, I suppose if your device doesn't have a problem and you post something like that on a thread you don't really need then you can leave.

Reaction score
It's not disrespect, it's showing the other side of the coin. If someone read your initial post and no one else told their positive Thunderbolt experiences they would just assume the phone was a POS which it is not at all.

OP
XKXDISTURBEDXKX
Reaction score
It's not disrespect, it's showing the other side of the coin. If someone read your initial post and no one else told their positive Thunderbolt experiences they would just assume the phone was a POS which it is not at all.

That's true, Ill eat my words now :)