Stand-alone contacts app?

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by solar, Mar 24, 2010.

1. solar

solar Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey everyone,
    I'm looking for a stand-alone contacts application. One that doesn't integreate with my standard contacts. I keep the most people that I have any regular contact with in my standard contact area like anyone else. But, I have a who bunch of contacts that I rarely contact, or are shops or tech #'s that I don't want cluttering up my contacts list, but would still like to have access to. Anyone know of such an app??

2. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I hear you. I don't know of an app that accomplishes what you want. But you could simply star all your regular contacts to keep them in the favorites list. Alternatively, if you access your contacts on the web with the browser you can categorize them in a variety of ways.

3. solar

solar Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I actually use the starred feature for my small handfull of frequent contact. I don't generally use the web for my contact managment. It would be better to have it in a contacts app and have the numbers show up as links like they do in google maps or something. That way they'd be accessable quickly, easy to dial and out of the way. I came from primarily using a windows mobile PDA, and always kept my contacts in a seperate app for easy access. thanks for the suggestion though.:)

4. solar

solar Member

Ratings:
    +1
    :bump: There has got to be something! no?

5. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd actually like to see better groups support so you can just quickly filter contacts. A separate contacts app seems like an odd work-around which is probably why you're not getting replies.

6. CatsTide

CatsTide Member

Ratings:
    +0
    tag your contacts as friends ,family or coworkers.then you can choose which ones are displayed.

you can actually add any group...name it whatever you want. i think this has to be done on pc.i haven't found a way to set them up on the droid.

#6 CatsTide, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  7. rjax

rjax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This seems to fit the bill -- search "cards pim" in the market -- the actual app is called Cards (-) PIM. The interface is a bit weird at first, but it does what you want.

8. CatsTide

CatsTide Member

Ratings:
    +0
    actually the stock app fits his bill perfectly if used correctly:)

9. rjax

rjax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's true you can hide contacts with the stock app, but what if you want to actually call them? Is there an easier way to do that besides searching or going into the contacts settings and checking/unchecking groups you want displayed?

EDIT:

And more importantly, it doesn't seem like you or I know how to add someone to a hidden group without using the web interface.

#9 rjax, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  10. CatsTide

CatsTide Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hope you don't think i'm being a jerk cause i'm not trying to be...just trying to help.
    when you open your contacts it's only about 3 or 4 clicks from there. if it's seldom used numbers it should be pretty easy. it's also a lot nicer having all your numbers in one app so they automatically sync to your gmail and you can use them(as well as edit them) on your pc.

11. CatsTide

CatsTide Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you don't have pc access my method is useless .unless you could do it on your droid browser,i have never tried that.

12. rjax

rjax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure you can modify it from the web using the Droid, but in my experience, it's a pretty slow process to access.

I know you're not trying to be a jerk -- everyone just has different tolerances for what they consider to be an acceptable number of clicks. I agree a separate app isn't as elegant, but it definitely saves clicks. And if OP adds as many contacts that he doesn't want displayed in the stock contacts as it sounds like, I imagine the separate app would be a much less annoying way of handling things for him.

Search tags for this page
standalone contacts app
android stand alone address book -outlook
android stand alone contacts
android standalone contacts

stand alone address book for android

stand alone android address book

stand alone contacts app for android
standalone address book android
standalone contacts android
standalone contacts app android