Stagefright Virus?

JustinV_

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3
Hello, I just got a new phone and finished transferring everything over from my old phone. I just got a text from the email [email protected] saying:

"<Subject: RE:
GRANT(MES2015)>

$3M donation to you, Please contact ([email protected]) for more information.

Please make contact with your alternate email address to the email provided above.

"

Then there was a huge empty space below it (like where the second quotation is)

When I opened the text (I know I shouldn't have) it said "Converting to multimedia message..." Then I went to settings and turned the auto retrieve MMS setting off.
I did some research and it doesn't seem to be anything bad, just a scam, but I've never got anything like that before. The converting to MMS part is what scared me. I used the stagefright detector app and it says that I am vulnerable (like most other phones).

Is this anything I should be worried about or should I reset my phone again?

Thanks!

P.s I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 fully updated to lollipop 5.0.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hello, I just got a new phone and finished transferring everything over from my old phone. I just got a text from the email [email protected] saying:

"<Subject: RE:
GRANT(MES2015)>

$3M donation to you, Please contact ([email protected]) for more information.

Please make contact with your alternate email address to the email provided above.

"

Then there was a huge empty space below it (like where the second quotation is)

When I opened the text (I know I shouldn't have) it said "Converting to multimedia message..." Then I went to settings and turned the auto retrieve MMS setting off.
I did some research and it doesn't seem to be anything bad, just a scam, but I've never got anything like that before. The converting to MMS part is what scared me. I used the stagefright detector app and it says that I am vulnerable (like most other phones).

Is this anything I should be worried about or should I reset my phone again?

Thanks!

P.s I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 fully updated to lollipop 5.0.
I'm guessing that it might be a fluke but who knows. I would do a factory data reset a few times. Now is the time to do it before you get everything completely set up. And when you transfer stuff from your old phone, be careful what you're transferring over just to be sure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
J

JustinV_

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3
I'm guessing that it might be a fluke but who knows. I would do a factory data reset a few times. Now is the time to do it before you get everything completely set up. And when you transfer stuff from your old phone, be careful what you're transferring over just to be sure.

Alright I'm going to do a reset, what do you mean a few times though? Won't one reset fix it?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Alright I'm going to do a reset, what do you mean a few times though? Won't one reset fix it?
Typically yes, but not always. It doesn't hurt to do three and they don't take that long.