Stable and Happy on BB.21

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by rob22202, Jun 18, 2010.

1. rob22202

rob22202 New Member

I know there have been plenty of issues reported with this build and plenty of fixes posted. Using the collective knowledge of the forum, I've got BB.21 running fast and stable. No reboots, no market issues, wireless tethering working, etc...

Here is a summary of the steps I took, in case anyone is interested:

Titanium Backup of all Apps in BB.2

Downloaded .021 to SD:
    - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...l-bugless-beast-v0-2-1-android-2-2-frf57.html

Downloaded Smoked Glass to SD:
    - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/51918-smoked-glass-froyo-bb-0-2-a.html

Downloaded ChevyNo1-1.1Ghz-lowV-7slot to SD:
    - Index of /froyokernels

Downloaded bgill55's market fix to SD card:
    - Tip: Market App Issue in Froyo | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Rebooted into Clockworkmod Recovery

Wiped boot/system/data/cache x 2 each

Flashed .021
    Flashed Smoked Glass
    Flashed ChevyNo1-1.1Ghz-lowV-7slot
    Flashed bgill55's market fix

Booted up

Deleted everything in the .android_secure folder on the SD card

Changed the default install location for apps:
    - In /system/etc/install-recovery.sh change "pm setInstallLocation 2" to "pm setInstallLocation 0" with no quotes.

Remove the shutdown/reboot hardware shortcuts:
    - Delete /system/bin/shutdown

Restored Apps with Titanium
  2. five5

five5 New Member

I did all the same things, i wish i wouldn't have random reboots on 0.2 :(

Back on 0.1 for me, best my phone ever ran, and with the new flash update flash is running flawlessly and FAST

i <3 pete (no homo)
  3. ytwokc5

ytwokc5 New Member

I did virtually the same thing. Except I am running Chevy's 1.0ghz kernel, Nextheme, and I only wiped data/cache once and I did not apply the market fix. I did have to clear the market data/cache for all of my downloaded apps to appear as downloaded.

The only lingering issue I have that I did not have with 0.1 BB, If I do something memory intensive, i.e. browsing, benchmark, then try to launch the stock 3d launcher... the apps don't show up. If I close up the launcher and wait 30 secs - 1min.... the apps reappear in the launcher. I am using the "Spare Parts" setting to keep the "Launcher in Memory".

Nice job Pete, I'm sure the launcher issue will get sorted out.

***edit***
    The one other thing that I did not do that I noticed you did.... I did not delete everthing out of .android_secure. I am running a fair number of my apps off the SD card, moving only the widgets and a couple of other apps that load at boot time to the internal memory. Fairly certain the issue with the launcher is related to the apps on the SD card.
  4. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

I flashed v.21 overtop ov v2 with no wipe which Im pretty anal about wiping and this is the first time I didnt wipe but I have had no issues for 2 days so far. I love the reboot into recovery and reboot options (could do without the shutdown option with camera) but I have had no reboots, market, maps wired and wireless tethering working. My friends phone on his computer wired tethering doesn't work because the driverswere not installed on his compter so I', sure alot of people who cant get wired tethering to work can download the usb drivers from the moto website. But I absolutley love this rom fast stable no issues!
  5. rob22202

rob22202 New Member

I had not seen anyone mention deleting everything from .android_secure but, after a wipe, I noticed that there were still a lot of apps present in that directory. I thought it may confuse things when I went to reinstall, so I got rid of em. Not sure what impact it may have had.
  6. TJK

TJK New Member

How do you delete system/bin/shutdown?
    And how to you change the setinstalllocation?
    TIA
  7. rob22202

rob22202 New Member

I used the root explorer app to do it but you could also use ADB to do it, I'm sure.
  8. Orange

Orange New Member

Rather than random reboots, are you sure it isn't just you accidentally half-pressing the camera button while waking it? I used to think I was getting random reboots too, but I think it was just this. I think the quick shutdown should be changed, if possible. It's WAY too easy to accidentally trigger while trying to wake the phone. Would be much better if it were something like lock+camera halfpress+volume up or something similar.
  9. alucard9114

alucard9114 New Member

Runs great for me too just need some themes.
  10. budmonster

budmonster Guest

You said you changed "pm setInstallLocation 2" to "pm setInstallLocation 0"?

Doesn't that disable APPS2SD? Why would you want to disable that?
  11. gszeman

gszeman New Member

What themes are you looking for that aren't available?

There are plenty of themes that can be installed on this ROM. Any Team Chaos theme should work (look for bgill55's 1.4 versions) There's a NexTheme Floating around out there. Pretty sure DropTheme works. Jsinlegacy has some...

A lot to choose from.

To give you the option to move them if you want them there. The majority of my apps I'd rather leave on internal, and move just the large apps that don't have widgets, or rely on other apps.

Se7enLC has a script which works perfectly. Type a command in terminal emulator to enable or disable apps2sd.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk