1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Stability of PE4.2 vs. Stock FRG83G DeOdexed

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by genebean, Jun 21, 2011.

1. genebean

genebean New Member

So.... my wife and I have both given up on GB-based ROMs for now as they slow our D1's down to a crawl regardless of what we try and have switched back to a rooted, DeOdexed FRG83G from Pete. It is really smooth, hella good on free RAM, and I have more internal memory free than I have ever had (currently 94 user apps including GO SMS Pro & SwiftKey, 54MB internal free, 34MB RAM free).

Here is my Q: Can anyone attest to how PEv4.2 compares to this type of setup? I am most interested in the following:
    • continuous uptime (I hate having to reboot)
    • stability
    • speed with a factory-like kernel (no setting up swap space / compcache, no overclocking)
    • response time of camera (really fast on current setup)
    • general smoothness
    • reliability of 3G after calls (think this is only an issue with GB ROMs but just making sure)

Thanks for any input you can provide!
  2. ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB New Member

First of all, RIP ultimate droid.. Best froyo of all time and my very 1st rom!
    However, P.E. is an awesome substitute so here are my reviews on your concerns bro.

P.E. 4.2 had hardly ANY reboots on my phone. I had no problems with that.. but again, every phone is different

Stability is a 10/10. You should not have a problem there.

Speed is actually decent. It's not GB but its really close.

Camera - I am actually not sure of, i used CameraZoomfx when I used P.E. but my guess is the camera starts up smoother than GB.

General Smoothness - Like every rom, it will start off fast and smooth and the more stuff you have running, it will eventually slow some. GB is just tougher to stop the apps from being killed but ironically, slowed down the phone at the same time? Beats me.

Loss of 3g - Not a problem!
  3. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer Theme Developer Developer

I ran 4.2 for about 3 months straight. I had zero problems with stability. Everything plain old works, right out of the box. Like trent said, the more apps you have running, its naturally going to slow down on any rom. If I were to recomend a froyo rom to someone it would be this or droid concepts. DC is 2.2.2(frg83g) where pe is 2.2.1(frg83d). DC still being developed(adds new options with each build) but it has the stability and speed with a stock kernel you are mentioning. On the other end PE has more built in options to choose from. Pe comes with a slahyer kernel and clocked to 1100 on install but can be downclocked in elite settings. If your phone can't handle that frequency be sure to download a lower frequency kernel and flash it with the rom before you boot back up. Both are GREAT roms. Give each a try and see which one works for you.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  4. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

I also checked out various GB roms and I am still hopeful about them, but GB is still a compromise on the D1. I am back on PE v4.2 and prefer it to my previous rom BB.6.2.1. Everything works great for me in v4.2 and I think it is the best Froyo rom.
  5. ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB New Member

^^ +1
    What's going on Buck? Have you made any new themes recently?
  6. buckmarble

Nah, no time lately. Kinda waiting for the pe final to do much anyway. I'm on the DC kick lately and with a new build every couple of weeks, its a waiting game for a final for that too. Getting something themed and porting it to every build is prett time consuming. So I guess I'm just going to chill for a while. Did you get all the theming stuff figured out with the decompiling and such?
  7. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

I stayed with pe 4.2 forever, they key to freeing up space is to delete ringtones.

Sourcery was a close second, it was developed further then pe cause they didnt switch to gbread.

I ran pe with,petes kernel clocked at 600mhz camera was great.
  8. ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB New Member

I really hope the PE final will be nice. I can't wait. As far as the latest updated DC build, i tested it out with PE 4.2 last night just to see which was better. Currently im on PE but which do you think is better? and as far as the decompiling files, its trial and error. I'll get it figured out but I don't have the time either right now to fix the errors & stuff.
  9. buckmarble

Sent a pm. Don't want to jack the thread.

10. genebean

genebean New Member

Any idea what the main diffs between the two Froyo versions are?
  11. buckmarble

A sms fix and performance/battery improvements

12. genebean

genebean New Member

Anyone else want to chime in?
  13. mjoshea148

mjoshea148 New Member

Currently running Pete's Odexed FRG83G. Been back/forth between Droid Concepts, Bugless Beast, PE 4.2, etc.

I like the elements of each that add visual (eye candy) styling of Gingerbread or functionality (keyboard), but struggle with all the other things you can add/changed that have since been updated and may be obsolete (e.g., for instance the ability to update apps on PE 4.2).

May I ask what you see as benefit in running Deodexed FRG83G and what kernel you've had best experience with?

Thanks!
  14. genebean

genebean New Member

So far, the DeOdexed FRG83G has run smoother than any ROM I've tried lately (all Gingerbread ones) or CM6. I don't have to reboot, I don't get random reboots, I have no or virtually no lag, and good battery life. I am running the stock kernel.

My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is that I miss the Galaxy-style toggles in the pull down and I miss being able to swype away notifications. Themes were nice too but I can live without them in exchange for the stability.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  15. ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB New Member

Gene, I would give Droid Concepts a try. BuckMarble got me on this rom and like McDonald's, Im lovin it. You say you miss the galaxy widget/themes and all that and this has it. It does not have any Lag whatsoever, and multitasking is pretty fly. You can make it like burger king, and have it your way! Give it a try, because compared to Deodexed, D.C. is Wendy's, its better here.

Yeah im hungry.

16. buckmarble

Man, you're makin' me hungry just reading this! Double QPer w/ cheese, bk fries, and a frosty to top it off. Man I wish all these were in one place! Lol

17. ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB New Member

Broham did you just make your own "McBurgendy's" ? :icon_ rofl:
    Lol.
    Niiiice
  18. buckmarble

You know, they put taco bell and kfc in the same building, why can't they put those three in the same place, I mean, mcbergendys sounds pretty f'in good! And for the hell of it, throw kfc and tb in the building too! Hahahahahaha

19. ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB New Member

I cosign.. haha..
    and our flagship burger will look like this
    McBergendy's
  20. buckmarble

That's freaking awesome bro!

Search tags for this page

pe4.2 droid