SSH into DROID?

Netwaves

Reaction score
How can I SSH into my Verizon DROID? I've been able to use the SSH client to SSH into my desktop and work system(s). What I'm looking for is a way to SSH into the DROID from my desktop system(s) and have a full size console/terminal to work in. :) Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. :motdroidhoriz:

heem

Reaction score
How can I SSH into my Verizon DROID? I've been able to use the SSH client to SSH into my desktop and work system(s). What I'm looking for is a way to SSH into the DROID from my desktop system(s) and have a full size console/terminal to work in. :) Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. :motdroidhoriz:

Well, for sure you won't be able to do it over the 3G network, at least on standard ports - A port scan of my device shows all the normal ports firewalled at verizon's end.

It may be possible to do over WiFi, but someone is going to have to make an SSHD as an add on app, since I have not been able to find one already installed.

A

apeshitninja

Well, for sure you won't be able to do it over the 3G network, at least on standard ports - A port scan of my device shows all the normal ports firewalled at verizon's end.

It may be possible to do over WiFi, but someone is going to have to make an SSHD as an add on app, since I have not been able to find one already installed.

I haven't port scanned my Droid, but now I'm curious. I've seen the SSH client apps, but an sshd app would be interesting. It would be cool to poke around in there and see what's running.

heem

Reaction score
an sshd app would require the phone to be rooted though, unless there is already something there that I havent found (very possible)

Droids

Reaction score
As fa as we know the Droid does not have a ftp or ssh server running on it (why would it), so why would you expect to be able to ssh into it? Going the other way, yeah.

Have you seen any "I rooted the Droid" threads yet?

forkup

Reaction score
This is a basic port scan of my droid using just nmap -P0 ip:

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( Nmap - Free Security Scanner For Network Exploration & Security Audits. ) at 2009-12-04 10:56 EST
Interesting ports on 86.sub-75-250-150.myvzw.com (75.250.150.86):
Not shown: 978 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp filtered ssh
42/tcp filtered nameserver
135/tcp filtered msrpc
139/tcp filtered netbios-ssn
179/tcp filtered bgp
445/tcp filtered microsoft-ds
1023/tcp filtered netvenuechat
1075/tcp filtered unknown
1080/tcp filtered socks
1433/tcp filtered ms-sql-s
1434/tcp filtered ms-sql-m
1720/tcp filtered H.323/Q.931
2967/tcp filtered symantec-av
3128/tcp filtered squid-http
3306/tcp filtered mysql
4444/tcp filtered krb524
4899/tcp filtered radmin
6101/tcp filtered backupexec
6129/tcp filtered unknown
8081/tcp filtered blackice-icecap
9898/tcp filtered unknown
10000/tcp filtered snet-sensor-mgmt
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 21.51 seconds

It looks like to me it's filtered on the droid...not on verizons end.

heem

Reaction score
When you see 'filtered' in an nmap result, its almost always at the isp/router level. If it was on the droid the ports simply would have been closed.

RichStevenson

Reaction score
I haven't found a SSH server app, but there is a FTP server called FTPServer. I've installed and configured it on port 1234. Like you guys said, VZW seems to be blocking. Usually when an ISP does this it's the common ports they block below port 1024. Anyway, configured on port 1234 I can hit the phone over my WiFi and the 3G network with access to all files, not just the SD card.

There's also a HTTP server app in the market that when accessed displays a calendar with thumbnails of th pix you took on the corresponding dates.It's called "Web Server"

Both by the way are free...

heem

Reaction score
Also, for what its worth, there seems to be something stopping users from getting a shell on the phone. Get connectbot for ssh and you can do 'local' - to which you get a message saying that you can't rrun a shell on this device. Seems like we're going to have to gain root access for any of this.

Modulus

Reaction score
an sshd app would require the phone to be rooted though, unless there is already something there that I havent found (very possible)

If this Web Server is able to run and bind to a port, then there's no reason an SSH server wouldn't do the exact same thing..

Also, for what its worth, there seems to be something stopping users from getting a shell on the phone. Get connectbot for ssh and you can do 'local' - to which you get a message saying that you can't rrun a shell on this device. Seems like we're going to have to gain root access for any of this.

I've got Terminal Emulator, it runs just fine... So you can get a local shell..

None of this really matters unless your main goal is to connect from a different physical location.

Getting a shell on your computer is as simple as enabling usb debugging mode, pluging the phone into your computer with the usb cable, and then just using adb to connect and open a shell..

heem

Reaction score
modulus which app are you succesfull at getting a shell with? There's so many of them with comments varying on their success..

BigTex71

Reaction score

I guess I am not grasping the concept of why you would want to SSH into your droid from a desktop. Why?

OP
N

Netwaves

Reaction score

If this Web Server is able to run and bind to a port, then there's no reason an SSH server wouldn't do the exact same thing..

I've got Terminal Emulator, it runs just fine... So you can get a local shell..

None of this really matters unless your main goal is to connect from a different physical location.

Getting a shell on your computer is as simple as enabling usb debugging mode, pluging the phone into your computer with the usb cable, and then just using adb to connect and open a shell..
SSH would be nice but adb shell will work just fine. Thanks for all the help. Lots of good information and possibilities to work with now. :)

peterpressure

Reaction score
I haven't found a SSH server app, but there is a FTP server called FTPServer. I've installed and configured it on port 1234. Like you guys said, VZW seems to be blocking. Usually when an ISP does this it's the common ports they block below port 1024. Anyway, configured on port 1234 I can hit the phone over my WiFi and the 3G network with access to all files, not just the SD card.

There's also a HTTP server app in the market that when accessed displays a calendar with thumbnails of th pix you took on the corresponding dates.It's called "Web Server"

Both by the way are free...

I have tried both SwiFTP Server and PAW Web Server. Neither of which will work when connected to 3G, only over wifi. I have tried Ports 21, 8080, 1234 and a bunch others.

Any ideas?? The ability to run a web server off my phone over 3G makes me lactate just thinking about it.

Any Open Ports!??!