SS4.5 WiFi won't connect or won't stay connected

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by gavron, Jul 22, 2010.

1. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    SS4.5. "Obtaining IP address" is what I get. The DHCP server reports:
    2010.07.22 09:47:10 DHCP.SERVER Server sent an Offer to the client
    2010.07.22 09:47:18 DHCP.SERVER Processing Discover Message (Xid = 297d25b8) on 10.1.1.0/255.255.255.0 from 00:26:BA:44:C3:5D
    2010.07.22 09:47:18 DHCP.SERVER Offering IP Address 10.1.1.45 to 00:26:BA:44:C3:5D
    2010.07.22 09:47:18 DHCP.SERVER Server sent an Offer to the client

The Droid says "Connecting" then "Obtaining IP address..." then unsuccessful and repeats.

The iwconfig command is not on board.

I have rebooted several times.

modprobe -r tiwlan_drv (and also rmmod of same) gives error that /lib/modules doesn't exist.

Back to 4.2.

E

2. gatewayad

gatewayad Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I would try wiping and cleaning cache a few time then reloading the rom.
    I up untill 4.4 could not hold a wifi connection either kept going in and out. I was on a Kang rom then went to 4.4 but wiped first (3 times) after installing 4.4 wifi has been working great and still is on 4.5, plus i have the blackglass theme. All is good I would try that since nothing else is working for you

3. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Despite not believing in voodoo, I did wipe DATA, CACHE, and SYSTEM three times.

I did restore using rstapps. I can try not...

E

4. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Well I just checked the 4.5 zip - /system/lib/modules is DEFINITELY there, you should be able to run an ls command to verify

Not sure why you are looking for iwconfig; it's never been included in my ROMS. Perhaps you mean ifconfig? That also should be present ...

Here's output from my lsmod after connecting to my LAN:

# lsmod
    lsmod
    tiwlan_drv 902988 0 - Live 0xbf02c000
    em_u32 711 0 - Live 0xbf029000
    sch_htb 12851 0 - Live 0xbf01f000
    cls_u32 5565 0 - Live 0xbf018000
    act_police 3658 0 - Live 0xbf012000
    sch_ingress 1422 0 - Live 0xbf00c000
    act_mirred 2478 0 - Live 0xbf006000
    ifb 2375 0 - Live 0xbf000000

5. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sigh.

FIXPD kills the wallpaper. Moral: use before rstapps -c.

E

6. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    Yep - FIXPD is replacing an entire XML in the framework - just also happens to control the wallpaper

7. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Fresh reinstall after re-wipe. This time WiFi is working.

rstapps -c hung halfway through. This happened before but I didn't mention it. I waited for a while... then ^C and did it again. The rest of the apps loaded.

My shortcut to gallery said gallery was not installed. Removed shortcut. Re-created shortcut. Works fine.

My shortcut to camera said camera was not installed. Removed shortcut. Re-created shortcut. Works fine...

I have two questions regarding shell stuff:
    1. Is it ok to replace sh with the colorful bash? Are there scripts/functions that WANT it to be the regular sh to an extent where they will fail otherwise?

2. Is it ok to replace toolbox with busybox? Same question as above...

Thanks!

E

8. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    On the hanging - interesting, but glad you got it finished.

As far as the shortcuts - yep, that was expected as the names of some of the apps have changed between leaked/source builds

1. You can try - I BELIEVE I had tested these scripts some time back with bash, but it has been a while - there is a risk that some scripts might have issues - if you find some, let me know and I will fix them.

2. While they are quite similar in some ways, they both I believe have different 'tools' built into them, at least to some degree. I would not replace, but supplement.

9. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I just discovered the app "WiFi static".

Basically, I wanted to set my home wifi connection to a static IP to avoid the DHCP issues (OP you should try this). The catch is that for some ridiculous reason, even Froyo still has this implemented wrong... as a universal setting instead of per-connection, so of course once you set a static in one place it is likely going to fail to connect somewhere else.

Enter "Wifi Static", which let's you create a config profile for each connection and switch between them automatically. Free app from the store. Works perfectly.

The point of this is that you avoid having to have your phone make a DHCP request. I have encountered DHCP issues over WiFi many times before, and setting static IPs can increase connection reliability.

10. Boofster

Boofster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Every since I remember (even stock) the wifi has just stopped responding after a random period of time, even if you set it to persist when off. I hope they fix this someday. I don't think it's related to SS in any way. Many others have reported the same thing.

11. jhlcalls

jhlcalls New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my phone and have to admit that most of what I have read on previous posts is way beyond me and totally confusing- but I am having the same issues several others have reported- Droid2 is able detect and occasionally connect to home wifi... just spins "obtaining IP address" then might connect to only then immediately disconnect. Repeat... I'm wondering if the "password" has something to do with it- I've never had a password to use my wifi at home- is this just for my phone or could that affect the connection?

Search tags for this page

android wont stay connected to wifi

ip adress for onida ss4
ip camera not staying connected
ss4 won't connect to wifi
wifi connectivity issues with ss4