SS 5.4 runnin a bit slow

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Darksthour, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Darksthour

Darksthour Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I have SS 5.4 with the bold and black theme on my D1 and running Go Launcher. When I first put the rom on the phone it was blazing fast. Now though after a few months/days of use without swapping to an updated version (not that i necessarily need an update) It has slowed down immensly. The lag between opening up an app from the home screen just seems to take longer than it should. Just wondering if there were any tips like clearing some cache or something to bring it back up to when I first installed. Also a thing that worried me was when I did a reboot to see if that would help that also took a long time. It also had to go through the animation twice. Kind of worried me because my nandroid that i have is backed up from 5/31 when 5.4 was released. But I redid a new nandroid just in case and backed up everything on TiBu. Not too big a problem just wondering if that was normal and if there was any small things to do to keep it from slowing dying.

2. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    I dont think I have ever gotten any favorable respones when I tell people how I keep my phone running blazing fast and smooth but here goes anyway. When I am not running nightlies or flashing various roms and plan on staying with a rom for an extended period of time, I always make sure to do a clean wipe and reinstall every week and a half to two weeks. I also run Cache Cleaner NG daily, or use the native cache cleaner depending on the rom. I also dont use tibu and just let the market reinstall everything but this is extreme I admit that.

I know the reinstall part is the thing people have an issue with but the entire time I had my D1 and now with my D2 it works like a charm for me. And I would say you dont even have to do it that frequently but if youve been running a rom for a month or more I would recommend doing so.

3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    When you say a clean wipe and reinstall every week, do you mean a wipe of cache or a wipe of data? A wipe of data every week would be crazy. Its a PIA setting your phone back up after a full wipe. A wipe of cache every week is reasonable.

I know that a full wipe is the most effective having just done that, but its not practical.

There has to be something else casuing the phone to bog over time. What is it that causes this Chevy?
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

4. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh yeah let me add this. Before my recent full wipe and reinstall I'd have on average about 30mb of free ram available.

After the full wipe and reinstall and setting my phone back up to the way it was I have about 75mb of free ram.

So what is using the ram up? Its being used by the system as the apostle in running services has not changed.

5. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    Yes I am referring to doing a full wipe of data, system, everything followed by a reinstall. What I did say was that I do it every one and a half to two weeks. The recommendation I made was if you are running a rom for a month or more to do it.

6. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    I've noticed this as well. I've done the whole wipe cache/dalvik and rarely see anything from that.

I'm wondering if it's my kernel. I'm using chevy's 1GHz SV one.

7. alpine

alpine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    mine does the same thing, comp.cash off/on every kernel after about 6.hours.

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think it's the kernal that is causing gradual slowness, because a reflash of the kernal alone doesn't fix the problem.

But if you haven't tried chevy's low voltage kernal. I recommend it, works great for me.

9. Darksthour

Darksthour Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea I was mostly wondering if there was a simple trick to it. I haven't gone this long on the same rom. I was just curious because I have been getting a lot of FCs and apps take a while to rrspond.

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah I know a full wipe will fix this and make your phone run smooth again. You could try wiping everything but data (cache, dalvik, system) and than reflash the rom and see how that works this way you dont lose your setup.

11. dbol

dbol Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine slowed to a crawl about 10 days ago... it was a dramatic difference all of a sudden. So far, I haven't been able to fix it.

12. redoregon

redoregon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you install a/abunchof new app(s) about that time?

13. MaCe

MaCe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    have the same problems ... after update patch im getting tons of force closes and freezes ..phone barely works at some points i have only 15 mb of ram free

14. alpine

alpine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting tons of redraws.. I've tried all his LV and MedV kernels same result.. I'm thinking it's an ADW issue.

15. rck76

rck76 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Compcache disabled? V6 supercharger?