SS 5.4 Not ringing, more bugs then 5.3... on Original Droid

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by romiir, Aug 16, 2011.

1. romiir

romiir New Member

I'm busy at the moment and don't have a lot of time to document all the issues I'm experiencing with 5.4, but I did notice that after the upgrade from 5.3 which was working with the complaints previously posted in another thread, now my phone doesn't ring at all.

It doesn't ring or vibrate, but the screen lights up and shows an incoming call. This is HORRIBLE.

I am assuming that for some reason I have this problem and no one else does, cause I can't even find anyone else complaining about it.

I ran the fix permissions script, but I have no idea what could cause none of the ringtones to make a sound, and also the phone not to vibrate during an incoming call.

The phone does vibrate when the call is missed, but makes no notification sound.

Yes I checked all the volume levels, they are on max...

A issue I kept having with 5.3 that hadn't been documented yet, and still occurs with 5.4 is when I use navigation while playing music, the navigation volume is so low its inaudible, even when turned up all the way. Something changed in 5.4 seems to have broke notification and ring volume as well....

I am going to revert to 5.3 until I get some kind of response here. Though it seems like all of these issues should be easy to fix?
  2. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

This doesnt happen to me. How about going to recovery, wipe data/cache 3x and do, a fresh install of 5.4

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. Sixonefour

Sixonefour New Member

+1 on the wipe and reinstall. I've never had any kind of those issues either. Clear the dalvik cache while you're in there too.

However, I'm still experiencing horrible battery life, even with a MV Kernel. Holding out for 5.5 since the battery life issue has been beat to death here in the forums.
  4. romiir

romiir New Member

I cleared dalvik before, I have great battery life. These were the recommendations to my 5.3 problems, they are still unresolved. I did a full wipe and clean install and it did no better then my upgraded install, in fact it developed more problems...

I will... In the spirit of beta testing... Wipe my phone... AGAIN... and do a clean 5.4, but honestly, I don't think it will do anything besides waste a couple hours of my time...

There seems to be a problem with phone.apk... something serious, in all the later 5.x

For battery life, consider your screen brightness, and wifi timeout settings, they make a world of difference, also turn off bluetooth and wifi when not using them. It's super easy since chevy put the buttons on top of the notification screen...
  5. romiir

romiir New Member

So as far as battery life, also run a task killer, I use advanced task killer and keep things that don't need to be running dead...

Phone is rebooting now with a totally clean install of 5.4, I wiped the thing like 50 times as requested... (I'm exaggerating a bit here, but it is very very wiped.)

Going to go take it out and try it in the car and see what happens, also going to see if I can actually receive calls now... Be back soon.

Edit: I also should mention, in 5.4 also my usb wasn't mounting when plugged in... ie: I couldn't mount my sd card to a pc without booting to recovery =[

Looks like it will be another hour before my apps are reinstalled.... /me twiddles thumbs
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  6. romiir

romiir New Member

Ok, it fixed the ringing problem! Weird since it was working fine in 5.3... But I am happy with the performance of the new clean install. It has been raining all day, so I haven't had a chance to test the car part yet... Will report in soon on the music/navigation issue...

Also should note I use winamp in the car for shoutcast rather then the music app, gotta put that unlimited data to use... heheh
  7. virtualhuman

virtualhuman New Member

8. Htown315

Htown315 New Member

Agreed get rid of ATK. I use "auto memory manager" on my D1 set to aggressive. It really helps with the lack of ram.
  9. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I still use a task killer to this day. 20+ hours of life with a stock battery, 40+ with an extended battery.
  10. Atom702

Atom702 New Member

Just received the update, no problems to report, yet. I too followed the suggestions about not using atk, however have had to battery pull several times since. Going back to it, keeps useless apps from slowing me down.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  11. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

Yeah i too have noticed pretty bad battery life with this rom. And i dont think its calibrated right. It jumps from 50% to 20.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Hey what's going on with your battery? Just a couple questions so I can try to help.

What kernel are you using?
    Are you using SetCPU?
    If so, what are your settings?
    Have you checked to see if you have any installed an app that is eating up your battery life?
Search tags for this page

android ringing bugs