SS 5.2 - Can't switch Home Launcher

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by rich_r, Mar 30, 2011.

1. rich_r

rich_r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was having horrible redraw problems with SS5.1 and ADW EX. So I switched to an alternate (lightweight) launcher - Zeam. That has been working fine but I really want to use ADW EX. So this morning I tried to switch. Some configuration background -- of course SS tries to lock Home in memory, but I also had selected Lock Custom App 1 and selected Zeam (so I guess it was locked in twice).

I had ADW EX installed by "frozen" using Titanium Backup. So I unfroze it, went into applications and cleared defaults for Zeam. Pressed the Home button and selected ADW EX and the new default Home Launcher. So everything seemed to be working fine. So I went into Titanium Backup and froze Zeam. Then did a reboot to make sure that SS would have the correct app locked into memory as Home. BUT I get what appears to be a boot loop (but its not exactly the same). I reverted back to a nandroid I had made just before starting this exercise. And tried a step by step approach. What I have discovered is that even though ADW EX is selected as the default launcher SS 5.2 always starts Zeam after a reboot (and since Zeam was frozen before that did not work so well). Once I have booted up I can press the home button and I get ADW EX as my home; but I suspect that SS is keeping Zeam and not ADW EX locked in memory as Home.

So, is there any way I can clear up SS without doing a complete wipe. I'm hoping this settings to lock things in memory are in a property file etc. that I can just edit.

Anyone have any suggestions.

2. RoyR80

RoyR80 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Adjust your setting to desired and run fix permissions. (just a shot in the dark)

also, did you clear "default" setting for Zeam?

#2 RoyR80, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  3. rich_r

rich_r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well fix permissions was worth a shot, but that did not help.

Just to confirm Zeam is not the default launcher. I ran clear defaults and set ADW EX as the default. If I go into Applications everything looks fine (i.e., ADW EX has the clear defaults enabled and zeam does not).

The whole thing is very odd. It's only after a boot that zeam starts. As soon as I press the Home button ADW starts up (without asking me to choose a launcher).

I suspect this has something to do with the SS lock apps in memory behavior; since I have never seen this problem before.

4. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To be clear, did you uncheck the "Lock Custom App 1" in Chevy Tools? I ask because I didn't see it mentioned. Also, have you tried uninstalling Zeam, rather than just freezing it with TiBu? Seems that there might be some leftover pointers or references to Zeam that the OS is picking up.

5. RoyR80

RoyR80 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    another blind shot, after doing the above mentioned steps. clear both Dalvik cache and partition? (one after another, before rebooting)

6. rich_r

rich_r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I unchecked the Lock Custom App 1 and also tried putting another app in a Custom App 1 (K-9 mail) just in case unchecking it was not clearing something.

I have not tried uninstalling Zeam. With Zeam Frozen I could not boot. I am afraid that if I uninstall Zeam I won't be able to boot. When I have a bit more time I'll try that since the last time I had to restore a nandroid.

Thanks. I already tried that and it did not help.

7. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    The 'lock app' could in no way force Zeam to start - this sounds like a Zeam problem to me. It shouldn't be autostarting if it is not the default home - the app is forcing itself to start somehow ...

8. rich_r

rich_r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok that's what I needed to know. I'll try uninstalling zeam over lunch -- when I have a little more time to recover (if needed).

Search tags for this page

cant clear default home launcher android

how to change sslauncher to default home screen android

how to set ss launcher to default on samsung galaxy

problem setting ss launcher as default

ss launcher default home button

ss launcher isnt defeault

ss launcher not default

ss launcher wont default upon reboot

zeam launcher won't stay