SS 5.2 - App Launching Really Slow

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by rich_r, Mar 28, 2011.

1. rich_r

rich_r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't really call this a bug so I've started a new thread. SS 5.2 is generally working really smoothly for me. My Launcher redraws are basically gone. Scrolling in an app (and the app drawer) are very smooth. Animations are nice. So all in all, it's a nice experience.

But, it seems to take a really long time to launch a new app. For example, I use K-9 as my email client. When I select it, it takes a good 5 seconds before the app is fully displayed (the title bar and a blank screen show up pretty quickly). I also use Mobisle Notes Pro and launching it just took 8 seconds.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by how fast the Xoom is, but I don't recall my Droid being this slow (BTW: I am running the kernel that comes with SS 5.2 using SetCPU interactive 250-1000). Everything else (compcache, dalvik, etc are all SS 5.2 stock).

Thanks for any insight.

2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Hmmm - is it ONLY those apps? I don't have a single app that takes long to launch - not one. So wondering if it is just those two?

3. rich_r

rich_r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. Apps take from 2 seconds (apps like calculator) and up.

Where nearly 10 seconds.
    Google Voice - 9 seconds
    Terminal emulator - 2.5 seconds
    Tapatalk - 6 seconds
    Quadrant Standard - 4.5 seconds
    etc.

I start timing when I click the icon and stop when the app's main screen is fully displayed. In most cases the title bar of the apps shows up very shortly after the icon is pressed.

It could be a storage issue -- I have a 32GB microSD card or possibly a network issue (I am on 3G that is OK, I'll try again tonight on my wifi and see if that makes any difference).

4. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Also - run mtop in terminal to see if something is hogging cpu - GV/Terminal/Quadrant come up instantly for me, and I've got about 40 apps installed.

5. rich_r

rich_r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing abnormal shows up in mtop. I also have OSMonitor installed and it shows the same information (in a more readable fashion). I do have a bundle of apps installed - the app drawer shows (in the vicinity of) 120 apps.

I have a bunch of apps that I don't use much. In addition to trying on wifi tonight I remove some apps that don't get used much. I guess I need to break my OCD about installed apps. :)

6. rich_r

rich_r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :icon_evil: Well I should have known better. A reboot seems to have cleared things up.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

7. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    No worries!

Good, glad that's cleared up - also, if you run my task killer - it refreshes compcache. If it had been a while since you either did that or rebooted - that explains it.