Square Mobile Payment System

Big Lou

Reaction score
I had a tough time deciding to put this in apps or accessories, but ultimately it does have a hardware attachment so I put it here.

I'm pretty excited about signing up for this new service. It's called Square and it's a mobile payment system that uses a credit card swiper to automatically accept payments on the go. Signing up is free and it includes the hardware attachment for free as well! The only costs come from per-transaction fees:

Swiped transaction: 2.75% + $0.15
Keyed-in transaction: 3.5% + $0.15

When you think that Paypal charges 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction, this is actually a financially sound process. It works with Android, iPhone, and iPad (and I guarantee BB and WM soon), so it will be very widespread.

I'm most excited about using this for freelance and other services rendered. I started using an online payment service, but that was awkward especially when the service isn't done online. I then switched to Paypal, but again, there's no way of accepting payments unless I have access to the internet (which I usually do with my Droid, but still). Looks like I'll have a seamless and convenient way of accepting payments and I'll be earning a bit more money that would normally be taken out in Paypal's charges.

android-qr-code.png

Once you download the app, sign up with your personal information and you will have access to the website: https://squareup.com/

They will automatically send you a swiper attachment to the physical address you provide during the signup. Sign up now as they are shipped out on a first come basis. As of writing this, there are fewer than 50 downloads in the Android Market, so hopefully I'll get mine soon. The attachment simply plugs into the headphone jack and is ready to use upon opening the app.

Once I get this in, I'll make a full review! I can't wait.

Last edited:

johnnyvol

Reaction score
Been watching this for a while and was actually going to install on my iPod Touch since I thought it would be a while for the Android version. Was pleasantly surprised to see it right there next to the iPhone app.

Disappointed that until the reader arrives you cannot activate an account and set up ACH accounts for sweeping payments to your bank. They sure are putting a lot of pressure on themselves to get those readers shipped.

Just waiting on my reader now.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting I think I may download it

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pyro6128

Reaction score
This is awesome, I just signed up after checking it out. I read all the fine print and it seems to be safe. Plus apple has it in their app store, so thats comforting. I can't wait for my reader to come in the mail!

J*Bishop

Reaction score
thanks for the update guys. so onto my next question. is everything set up with your bank? did you receive the small deposit from square?

J*Bishop

Reaction score
nevermind guys. just checked my account. i'm good to go.

OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Reaction score
How'd you do that? I thought you couldn't do that until you got the swiper...

EDIT:

CRAP! I never went through the account verification. All this time I thought I had to wait for the swiper to do that. But now I see I need to do that before I get the swiper.

Awesome...

J*Bishop

Reaction score
How'd you do that? I thought you couldn't do that until you got the swiper...

EDIT:

CRAP! I never went through the account verification. All this time I thought I had to wait for the swiper to do that. But now I see I need to do that before I get the swiper.

Awesome...

:rofl3: well aren't ya glad i bumped your thread then?

J*Bishop

Reaction score
new update for square is out. still no reader in the mail though. :mad:

Vortec6

Reaction score
Mine came in today and I can't wait to try it out! Might do it with a friends card first tho lol!