Sprint Claims: Make Free Wifi Calls with Google Voice!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by HamDog, Sep 2, 2010.

1. HamDog

HamDog New Member

Just got this promotional mail from Sprint (snail mail, not e-mail). They're promoting the EVO and want me back!

See the attached promo and pay attention to the lower left hand side where it lists the great features:

>Google Voice - Make calls over Wi-Fi without using minutes.

WHAT???? Does Sprint know how Google Voice works? I'm tempted to just buy their cheapest plan and charge up thousands of minutes using my GV account and then tell them "you said it was free over wifi and I was at home hooked up to wifi"! :icon_ banana:

Just kidding. But this is a serious misrepresentation on their part. GV does NOT use Wifi to place calls, it uses minutes. :icon_eek:

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I wasn't sure where something like this belonged.
  2. SGTiger

SGTiger New Member

Well now that Google Voice allows free phone calls through gmail on a computer, perhaps Sprint is allowing a GV app on their service that does the same thing?
  3. HamDog

HamDog New Member

Damn! I didn't even think about that. But I thought anyone could use the "make a free call through Gmail" and it wasn't necessarily tied to GV (although you can use your GV). I could be wrong. But if I'm right, the ad would still be misleading. They probably should have said you cam make free calls using your Gmail account rather than Google Voice.

Good catch!
  4. djrakun

djrakun New Member

Gv callback, combined with sipdroid, gives you free wifi phone calls. If sprint releases an app, I hope someone cracks it for verizon
  5. RemyL75

RemyL75 Member

I was able to do it with GV, fring and sipgate. But it wasn't just GV. There may be a way to do it now, so I will go back and research it again.
Search tags for this page
sprint calls over wifi
sprint free wifi calling
sprint galaxy s3 wifi calling
sprint s4 wifi calling -mini
sprint voice over wifi
sprint wi-fi calling android

sprint wifi calling

sprint wifi calling android

sprint wifi calling galaxy s3
wifi calling android sprint
wifi calling app for sprint