SPRecovery what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xxnonamexx, Mar 25, 2010.

1. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx New Member

I read alot about SPRecovery but no explanation as to what it does. I just successfully rooted my phone by using this forum (Big thumbs up) awesome job. Now I am trying to continue what features I can start using on it. I know SPRecovery is the next step but am curious if its a backup program to save my DROID in case I need to revert back? Thanks
  2. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

sprecovery is a program that you install to your droid that yes, will make particular backups, and allow you to install ROMs.

Other rooters here will be able to give you a better description.

Whether or not you will use SP or something else depends on what ROM you want to go to.
  3. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

it replaces your stock recovery console and allows you to back up your droids data so you can restore the backup in case you Fugg up.

if you have just rooted then you have only instaled the update.zip file and have SU permissions
    how about you check out "ROM Manger" in the market and install Clockwork Recovery and Koushs Cyanogen ROM its the BEST ROM to date

-=Jason=-
  4. kaboyd

kaboyd New Member

That is exactly what SPrecovery is. It allows you make backups of your phone and restore it. It replaces the stock recovery system that came with your phone, and will assist you in installing ROMs.
  5. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

SPRecovery is almost like a safe boot in windows. It allows you root acces (like DOS level commands...or maybe more like setup in CMOS level commands). When you hold the X button on the physical keyboard and then press the power button to turn the Droid on (all the while continuing to hold the X key) it boots in to recovery console. The phone comes with a recovery console built in but it does not give the option to do a nandroid backup. It is a tool used by Verizon to fix a screwed up phone. SPRecovery was developed by someone whose first name starts with s and last name starts with P (I wish I could recall his name so I could give him proper credit) and allows a few more options. Like I said, it offers an option to do nandroid backups. It also allows you to chose the ROM you want to install or recover a backup you made previously.

You can use simple tools like DM Updater to install SPRecovery. You won't even know you installed it. Or you can use SDK Tools from Android Developers to load it in an adb shell. A little more complicated, but at least you know you did it and it alloows more control...like using the version you want.

Clockwork also has a recovery console. It has even more options...or maybe not more, but different options from SPRecovery.

SPRecovery seems to be the most popular right now so you will get more help in these forums for it. But Clockwork seems to be gaining some traction so that could change.

Hope that helps. I know these boards can be hard to read because the older posters (the ones with vast amounts of knowledge) seem to expect you to know what's going on in their heads and they get sick of answering the same thing over and over. But trust me...keep reading...take notes...digest it. In time you will be answering noob questions yourself. I'm a teacher by trade so I tend to talk at a lower level than typically seen in forums. If I talk too low, let me know and I'll take it up a notch. Conversely...if I am over your head, duck! No just kiddin...let us know.

Nate
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  6. earth1st

earth1st New Member

Nate, just picked up a Droid a few days ago, dislike being locked out, having things run under an icon and not know what or why. It was quickly apparent that there were options but where to start. Your post was a great help.
  7. bryanc1

bryanc1 New Member

SPRecovery = Sir Psychosis Recovery
  8. bgdave

bgdave New Member

Where to you get sprecovery or dmupdater from?
  9. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Read through the first link in my signature. sprecovery installation instructions are there. dmupdater can be gotten at droidmod.org and is an automatic installation program. Both the manual method and the dmupdater will root your phone and install sprecovery, or rather replace your current bootloader with sprecovery. dmupdater will also install a rom for you, if you'd like. If you would rather you can decide to install a different rom. Visit the rom section of the forum here, look over the options, check out the install directions. I've outlined the steps I took to root, install sprecovery, do a backup, and install a rom in my signature. I haven't had to use the 3rd link yet.
  10. eepthegeek

eepthegeek New Member

A warning, though, about SPRecovery. I found out today that having SPRecovery on my Droid voided its warranty. My phone would not get past the Moto logo so I took it in and that's how they found out. Since they wouldn't fix my phone, I took it back and said I'll do it myself...:mad:

Since then, I have done a hard reset and installed the 2.1 update on the Droid. It now works beautifully. Verizon can take a long walk off a short pier as far as I'm concerned...
  11. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

in a nutshell, whenever you're "messing" with your phone, as long as you have restore points, you can always go back to it when you eff up something.

Whenever I put in a significant amount of time customizing my phone, I create a restore point so at anytime, I can get back there.

Nandroid (SPRecovery) is a LIFESAVER!
  12. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

I'd suggest using Clockwork recovery over SPRecovery, not because its better but so you can use rom manager, which is an awesome tool that lets you update your roms and install new ones all without using a computer. I believe are 5 or 6 different roms are supported currently and are able to be downloaded over the air.

Using rom manager I reflashed my phone from a rooted 2.0.1 to ultimate droid all while taking the bus between campuses at my college!
  13. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

14. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

rookie mistake. Rooting voids your warranty so they were right not to fix your phone since you were messing with things you werent supposed to. I'm rooted too btw, so I feel your pain when it won't go past the M. For anyone else reading that doesn't already know, don't bring a rooted droid in to verizon for servicing, you're basically ratting yourself out that you voided your warranty. Just unroot first, or ask the kind people on droid forums for help since they know more than any verizon rep you'll meet :icon_ banana:
  15. samiusmc

samiusmc New Member

It stands for special recovery. It's basically a 12 step program for those who have become too addicted to their Droids. Beware.
Search tags for this page
how to enter sprecovery
sbrecover
spr recovery android
sprecovery
sprecovery android

sprecovery droid

sprecovry what?
what does revert mean on android
what does sprecovery do
what is sp recovery
what is sprecovery