1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

SPRecovery vs. Clockwork

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Mr Sherry, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Mr Sherry

Mr Sherry New Member

ive seen more and more people talking about using clockwork as their recovery program but im not 100% sure what it offers. i rooted my droid in early january the "old fasioned way" with the update.zip on your SD card and ever since then i used SPRecovery. i guess im asking what are the differences and wether i should should switch?
  2. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I am also curious the difference between the two.

I am also wondering if you can use nandroid backups through clockwork, if you need to.

Bump.
  3. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

SPRecovery has more options then clockwork

clockwork will not work with adamz kernals
  4. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Actually, no, less, not really.

They have different features. I don't recall being able to browse your sd card via recovery in sprecovery.
  5. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

they both have features the other doesnt for me though clockwork is missing vital features such as support for the format adamz kernal uses and it would be nice if it would look in the nandroid folder as well as its folder for backups

i might have missed it but options on what sections to back up and what ones to recover and a few other minor things like that it seems to dumbed down when i used it to play with cyanogen a few weeks ago
  6. nphil

nphil New Member

You can't format /system /boot either on sprecovery. I finally caved in to clockwork because of ROM manager and there are only a few things I miss so far:

1. Restoring only /data, /system, /boot etc

2. Camera button for select! I hate sliding open my keyboard just to press enter.

3. Scripted ROM installs.

4. Linux partitions of nandroid backups are stored as .img files. I liked it much better as .tar files, easier to modify with 7zip.

oh and i believe there's a version of adamz's kernel made for clockwork recovery btw.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  7. adrynalyne

Actually, the camera button does work to select. Its been like that for a few versions now.

As for not being able to install kernels via it....*shrug* I'm more of a DIY guy, but I could see where people would want that.
  8. nphil

nphil New Member

Holy crap I've been short pressing the camera button all this while! Awesome, thanks for the info!

btw, there's a new version of sprecovery flying around for testing on irc. Anyone tried it?
  9. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

does it work with bugless beast and other roms other then cyanogen now?
  10. vrdubin6

vrdubin6 New Member

I just switched over today since I wanted to dink around with Rom Manager. If you use Rom Manager I like that you have an interface to work in while on your phone, that you can download new ROMs or get OTA ROM updates, and for clockwork in general I like that you can install .zip's as if they were update.zip format without having to rename them update.zip. As already stated I liked being able to backup/restore cirtain parts up backup files, like just data for expample.

Its kinda six of one, half a dozen of the other if you ask me.
  11. balaams_ass

balaams_ass New Member

Left DroidMod behind

Decided to try Cyanogen after hanging on DroidMod 1.0. Pretty easy to upgrade once I connected via wifi and all of the ROM pieces came down quickly. Astro did a good job replacing my apps tho it is tedious. Not as tedious as re-marketing them. Just starting to configure again. So far snappy and clean using the 2.0 Launcher.
  12. adrynalyne

Ultimate Droid ROM is on Rom Manager as well.
  13. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

So Adrynalyne you have some exp with this do you happen to know if the apk or something can be modded to add support for roms that are not yet in the manager so i could give my friends that i update their roms for them with a version that will check my hosting folder or something like that?
  14. adrynalyne

15. Invader DJ

Invader DJ New Member

I tried out Clockwork recovery last week, and had a problem restoring a backup made with it. I was trying out Cyanogen, I didn't like it so I tried restoring my Bugless Beast backup. After the restore I couldn't get past the Motorola icon at boot. Tried factory restore, tried to install a BB update.zip install, still nothing. Luckily I was able to reinstall Cyanogen,then reinstalled SPRecovery and restored another Nandroid backup I had.

That has scared me off of Clockwork and Cyanogen for the near future. I don't see what it offers over SPRecovery but SPRecovery is tested and reliable which is worth more than a lot of features are worth to me.
  16. schertz7

schertz7 New Member

so basically you cant do a restore with clockwork if your are stuck in boot loop???
  17. devildog9999

devildog9999 New Member

I have used restore over 40 times in the last few days. Seems to work fine for me. :)
  18. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Different phones, different results: I tried to use Clockwork's restore 4 times in the last few days and got stuck each time. Had to reload CM rom and then reflash SpRecovery to get back to nandroid backups. It's been a pain. About every time they come out with an update to CW, I try it again. No luck yet. :mad:
  19. haythem1992

haythem1992 New Member

I have an issue with clockwork in that every time i try to backup and then restore i get an MD5 sum mismatch error
  20. pthance

pthance New Member

Clockwork recovery has about a one of five failure rate on my phone throwing it into bootloops from the "M". I am just resigned to using the DM updater and ROM manager to flash each recovery. I use Clockwork ONLY to flash ROM's, and use SPRecovery to make all my backups and restores (as well as flash rom.tgz files). I'm real close to just ditching clockwork till it works better. I've heard people have no issues with it, I've heard people having issues similar to me....so its gonna be up to each phone I guess.