SPrecovery vs Clockwork(spell)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by loop4zil, Mar 22, 2010.

1. loop4zil

loop4zil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen Clockwork Recovery pop up a lot the last 2 weeks.

those that have been successful using it have touted its ease of use and speed.

I am very comfortable with SP.

Is Clockwork the wave of the future? The New Style!?
    What advantages does Clockwork offer?
    If you want to start using Clockwork are there special instruction for those of us who are currently using SP?
    Any gotchas?

2. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't even read about Clockwork. Not sure how you could make it easier than SPR. I'll stick around for someone to point to a how to or screenshots or something.

3. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    I don't know about easier, but it def. has more features, with the exception of choosing which partitions you restore/backup.

4. c_mack9

c_mack9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    difficulty is probably the same as sprecovery. youdont have to rename you ROMs to update everytime though. it did a super clean install on my UD v8.

5. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You can format system, data, boot, and cache with in it. No need to use ADB to do so. Also if the ROM is made correctly there is no need to unzip the file to load it.

6. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +214
    I have it installed I don't know that is any easier to use but it has more feAtures. Supposed to be cleaniest install of new roms

7. loop4zil

loop4zil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    in order to use do you need to get rid of SP?...I think Johnny Kansas had some issue with SP and Clockwork fudging up his droid

8. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just changed over to clockwork rom manager and I would suggest it to all.....

More options and more advanced then sprecovery.

9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    does it overwrite nandroid backups if you use the same name or does it fudge up? SPR tends to lock on me if I try to do this.

10. cvhovey

cvhovey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Having used SPRecovery many, many times, I've been leery of Clockwork Recovery. The first time I tried it, threw me off since the earlier version did not allow camera button to click on options (as does SPRecovery), but that apparently has been remedied in newer version(s). However, as time passes, it does seem that Koush has made a lot of improvements to Clockwork with added bells and whistles.

Though it would appear that Clockwork Recovery could be the wave of the future, my hesitance with it revolves around the proverbial one man [person] show. The only name I hear associated with Clockwork is Koush. For those who have been around a bit, we saw what happened to SholesMod when "one man" parted ways.

Assuming that the remaining SholesMod group, now DroidMod, will continue to support SPRecovery and/or its successor, then to me it has an edge because it would be supported by a team, rather than just one developer.

That's just my two cents. And if my assumptions about Clockwork and/or SPRecovery are inaccurate, by all means correct me.

11. Steeeler

Steeeler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried clockwork but just went back to Sprecovery. Clockworkmod does not do nandroid and that is where the best roms are, for now. Also, restoring and backing up on Clockwork really takes a long time on my Droid.

12. TekHawk

TekHawk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I need to try the new version the first market version pretty much was a huge fail and more features? it seemed to have less features to be there was no install options to use adamz kernal among other things

13. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess for me, I'm not going to waste my time at the moment. SPR works perfectly fine. I use it to the point where I can do it blindfolded. I really don't need extra "features", I just need it to update, backup, and restore, something it does flawlessly.

14. ldimick

ldimick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How did you go back?

15. offcamberjk

offcamberjk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I like clockwork because I don't have to keep renaming files to use them as update.zip. makes it much easier.

Search tags for this page

clockwork or sprecovery

clockwork spell