SPRecovery Question

OP
J

JayrodEF

Reaction score
I installed RSDlite to see if it would even recognize the .img file and it didn't appear to. Any tutorial I've seen links to a file called "SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf". Will that SPRecovery work for any build? I'm just wondering why the 'ESE81' designation is there since I actually have a FRG01B build on there now. If I can still use that .sbf file, then I'll try using RSD with that. Thanks!

nateccnn

Reaction score
I installed RSDlite to see if it would even recognize the .img file and it didn't appear to. Any tutorial I've seen links to a file called "SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf". Will that SPRecovery work for any build? I'm just wondering why the 'ESE81' designation is there since I actually have a FRG01B build on there now. If I can still use that .sbf file, then I'll try using RSD with that. Thanks!

That is the file I am using and it works with all the versions of Froyo I have installed. I think the reason ESE84 is in the file name was this sbf was created for Froyo and that was the current build at the time this version was released. Just to make sure folks did not attempt to use it on a 2.0.1 phone. Have no idea why cuz theoretically it should work on 2.0.1 and above. Who knows?

Back to your original problem. I ran into this several months ago. Turned out the Rom I was flashing had the stock recovery image in it. So every time I flashed the rom I lost SPRecovery by overwritting it with the stock recovery.

Nate

nateccnn

Reaction score
There's your problem. That file contains the stock recovery file. Look for the FRG01B file posted by JRummy...a few pages into the thread where you probably found the file you listed above. JRummy stripped out the stock recovery and added SuperUser and BusyBox so the rom stays rooted when you install it. You're losing root by installing the virgin file.

Nate

nateccnn

Reaction score
OK...I could not find it in the thread you linkied to but it is on page 6 of the threads in the news section where the 2.2 official release is posted. Here is the link toi the file you want to play with. http://bit.ly/frg01b this looks like a link directly to JRummy's server...I think.

So you are doing all the steps right. Just replace this file with the one you use when you get to flashing the ROM.

Nate

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Here's what I've found about using Rom Manager to flash Sprecovery: You have to continue flashing it over and over until you get the "successful install" pop-up really quickly. If it takes more than 5-6 seconds for that pop-up to show, then the install did not go well. I've tested this over and over on my phone and it absolutely holds true (YMMV!!).

+1...exactly right.

~ Transmitted Via Moto Droid ~

OP
J

JayrodEF

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies folks. I used RSDlite to flash SPRecovery and I get the same behavior. So I tried installing a stock ROM from ROM manager and that didn't work out so well ( I didn't clear everything so that was probably why). So I went back to an SPRecovery backup I had. Now the weird thing is I have a voicemail notification that won't go away. I don't have any voicemails as I made sure I cleared them all out. Anyway, I think I'll just bite the bullet and do a factory reset and then go through the steps to go straight to a custom ROM and see what happens.

OP
J

JayrodEF

Reaction score
Hey guys,
It appears my issues that started this are all solved. I ended up just installing bugless beast from ROM manager and wiping everything in the process. Once I did that, I flashed SPRecovery and it is persistent. So you must've nailed it that the ROM I had was wiping it clean. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Definitely gave me the confidence to go ahead with some of this stuff. Loving bugless by the way. :)

gmilliken

Reaction score
hey to everybody who contributed to this thread thanks alot. i had the exact same problem and could not figure out why i could never boot into recovery. this solved all my problems, i wanted a stock style root experience (just wanted to overclock and wifi tether) so once i rooted i installed the stock image rom from rom manager, sounds like that was my problem so i flashed sprecovery and now im in the process of flashing snkbitten, which sounds like a fairly stock experience. so thanks again for all the help on droid stuff