1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

sprecovery problems

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dodgersrgood, Sep 27, 2010.

1. dodgersrgood

dodgersrgood New Member

when i try to do a advanced nandroid backup, it just gets stuck at the first part where its "dumping system.tar" i've tried to do it about 4 times and each time it gets stuck at the same point. i tried it with different things selected but still nothing. if i were to try it on clockwork would i be able to go back to sprecovery later or are nandroid backups specific to cw/spr?
  2. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

hmmm..that happened to me as well. When i tried to make my first advanced backup of Chevy's SS4.8, it would hang during 'dumping system.tar' and i'd have to do a battery pull. Before that rom, i was on cyanogenmod6 and had made tons of advanced backups without ever having a problem. I'm not saying its rom related, but its just weird. So i tried like 4 times and every time if froze in the same spot. So i gave up for the night. Then the next morning, i tried a simple nandroid backup and it worked. Then right after, i tried the advanced backup and it worked too. Since then though, i've just made simple nandroid backups (not advanced) and they've worked.

So yeah, doesn't really answer your question i'm afraid. But have you tried a simple backup instead?

here's a link to that thread i made about this same weird issue...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/83424-interesting-problem-ss4-8-a.html

Let me know if you figure out what the issue is (if there is one at all)

Edit: also, i use sprecovery too. You can flash clockwork through rom manager and i think sprecovery too. But i believe nandroid backups are specific to whatever recovery you used. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. I myself have never used rom manager or clockwork recovery.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Backups are specific. One made with SPR will only restore with SPR and one made with CW will only restore with CW.

OP, I've not experienced any issues with SPR. Not sure this will make a difference but try deleting some of you old backups or mount your phone and copy to your computer.

Let us know how you resolve.

Mike
  4. dodgersrgood

dodgersrgood New Member

funny you mention the rom related issue because ever since i switched to shadow rom sprecovery has been giving me problems. ill try the simple backup and see if that does anything
  5. dodgersrgood

dodgersrgood New Member

so i tried to do the simple nandroid backup and it got stuck at the same spot for a little bit but it got through and then i did the advanced and it worked fine. btw, what is the difference between the simple/advanced?
  6. mwhartman

Glad you got it working. I may be wrong but I believe the simple allows you to select certain files to backup where the advanced does the entire set.

If I'm wrong please let me know so I do not provide incorrect information.

Mike
  7. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

as soon as you click simple backup, it starts the backup process (it doesn't let you choose what to backup, it doesn't let you choose a name for the backup). i think it backs up three things: system, data, and boot.img

Advanced backup is the one that lets you choose what to backup. When you choose advanced backup, it brings the list of things you want to backup. Three things are checked already (system, data, and boot.img, which are the things that are backed up with a simple backup). When i do an advanced backup, i always check all the other options, which are cache, recovery, and misc. I also make a name for the backup.

I used to always do advanced backups cuz thats just how i learned. But i've restored my simple backups and everything seems exactly the same so they work just fine.

So yeah, hmmm, the same thing happened to you that happened to me. Advanced didn't work, but simple does, and then advanced will work after you do a simple backup...weird..i wonder why that happens...
  8. h_10

h_10 New Member

reviving an old thread.

i've been using saphire 1.0 for about 2 months but have been using sprecovery for over 6 months. i've never had an issue making a backup.

last night i tried a simple backup and it gets hung up at "dumping system.tar". pulled battery and rebooted fine. whew.

so this morning, i thought i would try advanced backup and its gets hung at "dumping system.tar" again.

like i said, i've never had any issues with sprecovery. i've made probably 20 and never had and issue until last night and this morning.

any thoughts?
  9. mwhartman

Like you I use SPR. I've used it since January without any issues. I have sapphire 8.4on my Droid and I noticed that when I installed the rom the status bar never reached the end.

If you have a solid backup you could restore that and reinstall Sapphire. I'm not sure what would cause the backup to stall.
  10. h_10

h_10 New Member

ok. i tried to be smart and flash clockwork recovery via rom manager. i had issues with clockwork before so i flashed clockwork 3 times in rom manager to make sure i didn't have problems.

rebooted into clockwork recovery and got hung up the M of Death. pulled battery and luckily rebooted fine.

back to square one. i don't want to load my previous backup because i've made changes since then and don't want to have to redo everything.

i'm going to try to flash sprecovery in rom manager and try again in sp. wish me luck.
  11. mwhartman

Good luck! Let me know how you make out
  12. h_10

h_10 New Member

Hail Eureka.

it worked.

summary for anyone who has this issue in the future.

i couldn't perform backup in sprecovery. it would get hung up on "dumping system.tar". via rom manager, i flashed clockwork, then i reflashed alternate recover/sprecovery. rebooted into sprecovery and performed simple backup and it worked.
  13. mwhartman

Ah, so you have RM but flashed the "alternate recovery" SPR. Sorry, I missed that in your earlier posts. Another option that members have used successfully is to move backe to an older version of CW then flash the "alternate recovery"

Glad you have SPR working.

Mike