SPRecovery or ClockworkMod Recovery

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by mrpotatohead99, Aug 16, 2010.

1. mrpotatohead99

mrpotatohead99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion was on both the recoveries out there?
    Ups, downs, advantages, disadvantages?
    Is one more reliable than the other?
    I've heard that backups made with the 2 are not interchangeable. Is that true? What about nandroid backups?
    I personally have only used SPRecovery but was thinking about giving ClockworkMod a try since you don't have to rename update.zips haha.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. azpilot

azpilot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Personally everyone will have a different opinion.. I have been using clockworkmod without fail from the start, it works for me.

3. thebignoob

thebignoob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer clockwork, you can't swap out backups but if you flash between recoveries while using the same rom you can make two backups if needed. I use Rom Manager to help out the whole process.

4. rutger1413

rutger1413 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had a similar discussion:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/67877-clockwork-discussion.html

My outcome was to switch to clockwork and rom manager. I havnt paid for rom manager b/c i dont feel the need to, but to some it might be worth it.

One observation is that rom manager makes it too easy for ppl to apply roms without them understanding what they are doing. My biggest issue with this is that these same ppl ask the most dumb questions that if they would simply read release notes and such, they would know why their rom didnt work.

5. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Clockwork is easy. It's for those who go the easy way flashing roms. (no offense) Rom Manager is a great tool. Personally, i have had to many fail issues with clockwork. I use SPRecovery. The install is cleaner. No matter what anyone tells you, you should always, factory reset wiping both data and cache when flashing any theme or any rom. If you don't you will indeed have some kind of issue. Maybe not right away but you will in time. Clockwork does not allow for "full" wipes and "clean" installs. This is just my opinion so take it how you like.

6. rutger1413

rutger1413 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After using clockwork over the weekend my observation is that the backups from CW seem more robust than from SPR. Rom manager would seem like the major culprit if something didn't work correctly with CW. Everything is CW seemed just like SPR, except with the added ability to grab a rom from anywhere on the SD card(which i feel is the nicest feature). One small complaint is that the listing of files is not alphabetized, not sure why, maybe b/c of how they mount the card or something, but it is a small issue with me.

7. johfiner

johfiner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't used Clockwork, but Pete suggested everyone stop using SPRecovery and start using Clockwork. He said everything would be easier that way, but he didn't say why. I would switch, but I've already installed SPRecovery and honestly I have no idea how to switch. I've done a bit of google searching but I can't find a guide that explains how to go from SPRecovery to Clockwork. If anyone wants to let me know, I'll switch!

8. thebignoob

thebignoob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Clockwork works with a program from the market called "Rom Manager" which streamlines the whole process of making recoveries and installing roms on your phone. If you already have root access simply search for the app on the market, and when it installs it will prompt you that you have Sprecovery installed, and if you would like to install Clockwork. Oblige it, and it will download the latest version of clockwork and install it (another perk is that it will let you know about recovery updates). Hope this helps, clockwork and Rom manager will make the new guy to average users's life much easier. Yet it's full feature set is robust enough for the hardcore of the bunch.

9. rutger1413

rutger1413 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The ease of use to the "new guys" is a downside i feel. They don't truly understand what they are doing and with a single problem they start pointing fingers and asking dumb questions that could be solved with a simple search.

To be honest, i want the hardest, most convoluted process to root your device so that only the people who understand whats going on are willing to undertake the process. This would cut down on the bull**** problems and questions. Ease of use = dumb ppl doing smart things....sorry, just and observation, i don't mean to insult those dumb ppl out there.

10. mrpotatohead99

mrpotatohead99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to make the switch from SPRecovery to Clockwork in order to throw in my own feedback as well. Haha. So far I'm loving the fact that I don't always have to rename update.zip files to "update.zip" in order to install/flash them. Clockwork allows you to select ANY .zip file on your SD card. That makes let's say flashing a ROM, followed by a kernel, and finally a baseband easier. :) No more renaming! Other than that it works pretty much the same as SPRecovery and so I would highly recommend Clockwork. And thanks to the comments above we also now know that the nandroid backups made by SPRecovery and Clockwork are NOT interchangeable. But you could flash back and forth between the 2 recoveries and make 2 backups. (Seems a little redundant to me haha.)

To switch simply download the free version of ROM Manager from Market. Then select the first option in ROM Manager to flash Clockwork recovery. (Make sure you allow the root access request that comes up during this process.) Then you can uninstall ROM Manager and Clockwork will still be there of course. No reason that I can see you really need ROM Manager installed after flashing.

11. mrpotatohead99

mrpotatohead99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, is there a method of flashing back to SPRecovery without using RSD Lite and the SBF file or DroidRootHelper? Is there perhaps and update.zip or other method?

Edit: I found a way to do it with both the SPRecovery and Clockwork .img files. If you have a copy of either recoveries' .img file you can flash it from your SD card using the following command in Terminal Emulator.

su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/NameOfImageFileYouWantToFlash.img

Please note that there are space between "flash_image" & "recovery" and between "recovery" & "/sdcard/..."

Also make sure you have plenty of battery before flashing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  12. rutger1413

rutger1413 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is an easier way! In Rom Manager you can simply select "Flash Alternate Recovery" and you are back to SP Recovery. I haven't used it, but i have heard it works.

13. mrpotatohead99

mrpotatohead99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I tried that in ROM Manager and ROM Manager failed in flashing the recovery and every recovery flash after that failed as well. (Even a manual flash.) I couldn't even get RSD Lite to flash back an official ROM because ROM Manager had corrupted the recovery. Spent 3 hours last night in ADB until I finally got my phone hacked and successful flashed back the default Android recovery from my computer. I then of course used RSD Lite to flash official 2.1, rerooted, and reinstalled custom recovery, kernel, and ROM.

I would NOT recommend ROM Manager to ANYONE, especially if they don't know enough about computers. It's a very buggy program and it took a lot of technical work last night to fix my phone.

I did however grab the SPRecovery & ClockworkMod Recovery .img files that ROM Manager downloaded so that I can easily flash back and for using the terminal commands. Haha.

Moral of the story. ClockworkMod Recovery and SPRecovery are both excellent recoveries, but ROM Manager creates lots of problems unnecessarily.

14. rlarson_mn

rlarson_mn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have been using ROM Manager since I got my phone rooted back in last May. I have used it for a backup system and a ROM play toy recovery system. I have never had it fail me in either case. Sounds like our user experiences are all a bit different which would stand to be the case since most likely we all are using a potentially different ROM plus add on applications or past over add ons. Of course all of this is IMHO.

15. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    SPRecovery allows the user to feel more in control of what they are installing. If I plan on doing a lot of ROM testing and backups, then I prefer ROM Manager. But I started with SPRecovery so I'm partial towards it.

The only continuous flaw that I've found with ClockworkMod is when you are doing manual installations from a zip. More specifically without leaving ClockworkMod and just mounting the SD card so that you can swap zip files for the second and so on installation to be done, ClockworkMod still has the first zip file in memory/cache or something resulting in the installation of the previous install zip file despite having just replaced the update file with a completely different update file.

Search tags for this page

clockwork mod recovery sbf

cwm zip from ot 955
descargar sprecovery clockworkmod
motorola+droid+a955+flash+the sprecovery
ot955 clockwordmod

sprecovery clockworkmod recovery

sprecovery or clockword