SPRecovery on a Droid X?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Dbl_Tap, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Dbl_Tap

Dbl_Tap New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've done some searching and with the common use of SPRecovery and Droid X it's kind of hard to find a straightforward answer.

I've tried installing SPRecovery .99.3b on my rooted Droid X and everything I get to the line where I run the recovery img file I get an error about the partition.

One thread I did find from about 2 weeks ago said SPRecovery couldn't be installed on the DX because the bootloader had not been hacked yet but I'm pretty sure that has changed since then.

Thanks in advance for putting up with a recent Crackberry addict switching to the much superior Droid.

2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +33
    I may be wrong but I believe the bootloader on the X is still locked. Therefore you cannot flash an alternate recovery or custom rom.

3. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    the bootstrap will allow you to flash a partial custom recovery. Clockwork is the only one i think that will work. pretty much the same as SPR but has a few different options

No "custom" roms but there are a few out there that are 2.2 that have some of the stock apps removed

use clockwork, not SPR

4. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

Ratings:
    +1
    The bootloader is locked. You cannot "flash" a custom recovery of any kind onto the recovery partition of a DX (presently). A method has been worked out to install one someplace other than the recovery partition however and fire it up after booting the phone. Even if you could flash the recovery partition you can't just take an image from one phone and flash it to another unless someone who knows what they are doing says they are compatible.

With the "after boot" custom recovery on a DX you can then load a custom ROM but you cannot replace the kernel (boot image).

All of the above is fact to the best of my knowledge and understanding. Of course it could all change tomorrow -- there are lots of smart people out there trying to make this phone yield.

5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Straightforward answer is that SPRecovery still cannot be installed on the DX - the bootloader is still locked, there is no way to install anything to the boot or recovery partitions.

Clockwork Recovery CAN be installed - but it's not technically a recovery console. What the install is doing is hijacking an early part of the normal boot process to run the console. It allows you to install any ROM so long as those ROMs also have that same recovery hack and there is nothing wrong with anything that runs before that hijack. You cannot change the kernel, still, since the boot image is locked like the recovery image is. I believe only one ROM exists for the DX so far, and it is very particular about how you install it.

I believe that you CAN recover a DX via RSDLite and an SBF file, but I am not 100% sure on that one. (for those that don't know, RSDLite is a motorola tool for recovering phones, and the SBF file is the stock install image). If you can do that (and you are *personally* able to), then I would say you can go forth and play around. ROM Manager is the way to install Clockwork. Otherwise, I recommend waiting for the tools to mature a little - any small problem on the DX will result in a large and messy recovery effort.

6. Dbl_Tap

Dbl_Tap New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm RSD Lite will put a Droid X back to the stock 2.1; did it myself :)

I've got clockwork installed and it does a great job of a full backup and restore. No experience yet for ROMs though of course.

Thanks on the other info. It really helps.

Search tags for this page
droid x root how to sprecovery

droid x sprecovery

how to install sp recovery om droid x
sp recovery droid x

sprecovery droid x

sprecovery droid x2
sprecovery droidx