1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

SPRecovery - Nandroid .... wtf?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by nerdbox08, Feb 4, 2010.

1. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

After looking through a ga-jillion ROM threads, I have seen these questions repeatedly:

"What/where is SPRecovery, I don't have it?"
    "What/where is Nandroid, I don't have it?"

Every thread that has been posted about rooting/ROMS talks about having SPRecovery and a Nandroid backup, but where do we get these? What are they? When I was trying to root, that was the hardest part for me. I was downloading all these files and none of them were labeled as either of these. For the love of god, can someone please explain?

From everything I've read, this is what I've come up with
    At the very beginning when you are actually rooting your phone, every root requires flash_image and recovery-0.99.2b.img,(newest version recovery-0.99.3b.img, but leaving 0.99.2b.img for reference sake)..... So what are those files?

flash_image : This is the file that will allow you to write the recovery-0.99.2b.img into the system's files. How exactly it works, I have no clue, and I don't really need to explain much else other than this is the file that lets you get SPRecovery onto your phone.

recovery-0.99.2b.img IS ACTUALLY SPRecovery (Thank you SirPsychoS!) SPRecovery is an advanced recovery system that allows you to backup and restore your own files and other ROMs.

Okay, once you have gained access rights to your system files and installed SPRecovery (recovery-0.99.2b.img), you have to add a folder that SPRecovery can save to/restore from and that would be: NANDROID!

That's right folks, you create the folder yourself and SPRecovery just saves backups to it or restores backups from it. So if you ever need to get back to your lastgoodconfiguration, you can always restore it through SPRecovery from your Nandroid backup(folder). That is if you were smart and actually created a backup file. While you could essentially restore your phone to a full stock from files on the internet, without your own backup, you will lose your data. Full stock means full stock.
    Note: Some ROM installs have you place the ROM file into the Nandroid folder and run a 'restore' on the ROM to install it to the phone. Nandroid = win.

Another thing that I would like to reiterate I have seen answered a few times:

Will this overwrite my data?

The part about SPRecovery that is really awesome: You get to chose which part of the backup you restore/install. So when a tutorial tells you to uncheck "Data" that means YOU KEEP YOUR DATA.

It took me 4 hours to figure this out. Once I realized what these files were and what they did, it took me a total of 10 minutes to actually flash in a custom ROM once I got SPRecovery up and going.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

Thank you!

Mods, I vote this gets stickied and/or added to at least one of the threads telling people how to root. I haven't rooted as of yet, but I've looked into it a bit and this part confused me as well...
  3. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Damn man, that's almost like a complete conversation with yourself! But yeah this is sort of aggravating when I see these questions over and over and over again on these threads...but see you completely in the dark and lost at the beginning just like I was in the beginning, and you figured it all out just by doing some research on these threads.... that's exactly what I did and now I find myself telling people the same answers to the same questions time and time again......
  4. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

<3

This is the only part that messed me up. Like I said, once I figured this out I was golden. In fact, I rooted, installed. Uninstalled, unrooted, went to stock. Picked another rom cause I got bored, rerooted, reinstalled. Didn't like that one, uninstalled and unrooted back to stock. I did this all while driving my car to the bowling alley, lol.
  5. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

The information is very convoluted in all the tutorials. While the files are going to work regardless, it's a matter of the name conventions. It makes it difficult on people.

I'm not stupid when it comes to this stuff and I might not be the brightest at all times. I've flashed some WinMo phones in my time, but the name convention here is ... frustrating and I just thought it would be helpful to put the explanation in one post :)
  6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Why are you unrooting after every single ROM?
  7. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I wasn't going to put another custom rom on, but I decided to anyways after I unrooted.

But I'm back stock now and it works for me. I don't need those features. The speed was nice, but I was having issues when it would come out of sleep mode, so I ditched it all.
  8. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Oh yes, I'm definitely glad you posted this...I know for a fact that this will be a tremendous help to people on these forums...so good job
  9. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yeah man I mean I don't blame you...If it don't work for you then don't keep it....my phones hacked all to hell, I like the extra little goodies I can get with it now...but it comes down to each persons personal preference ya know, I've installed ROMs and kept them for all of about 5 minutes cause it just didn't hit me right and I didn't like it even though there were some extra little features I could have taken advantage of
  10. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

You nailed my situation completely. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to this kinda stuff, but the two reasons I haven't rooted yet are:

1. Haven't really seen anything I can't live without that someone did by rooting and

2. Although I'm a pretty quick study with this type of thing, I got confuse by this part and thought maybe I was just not smart enough to do it if I couldn't understand the first part. Haha! I didn't look WAY into it, but I knew this part was important and the first place to start to fix things should I mess up or change my mind.

If I make the decision to go ahead and give it a try, I'll be using your info to help.
  11. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I REALLY liked the Smoked Glass and I was excited about it, but the thing hangs so much and I got constant FC, I installed it twice and it responded the same, so I got rid of it :(

As for Sholes and CPUSet, I kept getting lag when I would come out of sleep mode.

I'm looking into this new Bit chin' Baegels dealy from Sholes though.

I didn't get it. Between Sholes website, rootyourdroid website and the many tutorials here I was able to piece it together.

I'm not the type of person who is going to just follow directions for the sake of getting to the finish line. I want to know why I am doing what I'm doing. So I went over it and over it. Installed, uninstalled, installed, uninstalled.

I've been reading it's pretty hard to actually brick the phone and I have to agree. With the safeguards the phone has itself, the recovery images and the ability to raise the phone from the dead at the store... I think we're safe. lol
  12. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Last night I downloaded and installed Sholes Bit chin' Baegels installer. Flawless!

If you have issues with this stuff just use this thing. ha ha