SPRecovery - Easy Root and more

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by fetchman, Aug 13, 2010.

1. fetchman

fetchman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try to keep this short but some background is probably in order. Have had my Moto Droid since early December and other than add a few apps didn't do anything special with it until a week ago when I manually installed the FRG01B update (76mb). I have spent probably 3 hours a day since January reading in this forum which is great by the way!

So now to my problem. I can't get SPrecovery flashed using RSDlite. I get as far as the phone being mounted and seen by RSDlite and the SPRecovery file shown in RSDlite but the Start button is not active. I have reinstalled RSDlite and the Drivers 3 times and get the same result. I finally gave up and used Easy Root to get rooted - didn't want to because I wanted to learn what was going on rather than have someone do it for me.

Last night I found that I could flash SPRecovery from ROM manager, which I also didn't want to use based on my reading. After the flash I did finally get to SPRecovery and made an Nanroid backup. This morning I found that I could not boot into SPRecovery - just the normal one - so I went back into ROM manager and (based on further reading) flashed SPRecovery three times in a row. Rebooted and was again able to get to SPRecovery. Tried to boot into SPRecovery again and again it was gone. What's going on?

This behavior, will become a pain as I try to make further backups and change ROM's. Can someone help?

2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It's Rom Manager, it has issues.

Flashing SPR thru RSD is the way to go for sure.

Where is the .sbf file on your pc? RSD is picky, sometimes it wont' work unless it's on the root of c:\ or sometimes on the desktop, not in any folders. Also try adding a space or two (then backspce them)at the end of the .sbf in the filename window of RSD.

#2 Tallica, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  3. fetchman

fetchman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The file is on my desktop. I tried the spaces and that worked to the extent that I got the Start button, however the flash failed with the message... "Failed flashing process. Falied flashing process. (0x7100); phone connected"

4. buckfill

buckfill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    These are only some possible ideas. Sorry I can't be of much more help. Are you running RSD as administrator? Like, not signed on as an administrator, but actually right clicking on RSD and doing a RUNAS?

Can you try from a different pc? I've used it successfully on Win7 32 and 64 bit. Just some thoughts....

5. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ya, make surre you are running as admin. And if it fails right away keep, trying. If it fails after doing it's thing it might still have worked, try reboot recovery and check.

6. fetchman

fetchman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now a new problem

After the fail I moved the sbf to the root of C: and tried again. That seemed to work. However, now I am in a continual boot loop. It tries to boot, get the "M" and then the Droid eye then get a FC Process system is not responding. In addition, the LED is red and a message saying to connect my charger. The battery was at 80% when I started the flash.

Now what?

7. fetchman

fetchman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Should have also said the charging light is not on and I am connected to the charger - not USB.

8. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
  9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Is it possible that your version of FRG01B is overwriting Sprecovery with it's own non-rooted version of recovery when you reboot?

10. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    This seems strange but --

Like you, I purchased my Droid last Dec and rooted shortly after. Then, because of my role on the RS, I purchased and installed RM. Personally, I've not had any issues with it because I keep SPR flashed. I've not updated RM in several months and have no plans to do so. Thankfully, I've not have any issues with the SPR so BayouFlyFisher's suggestion may be accurate.

Mike

11. fetchman

fetchman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update

After a couple of battery pulls and failed attempts, I was able to boot into SPR and restore from the backup I had done last night. At least I now have a device that can again be used.

I have to leave for a 3 hour drive soon so don't want to work on this anymore right now. If the weather is lousy this weekend, I'll probably try again tomorrow to get SPR flashed with RSD and start all over. At least now I know how to get the Start button to work in RSD

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

12. luv2golf

luv2golf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible that your version of FRG01B is overwriting Sprecovery with it's own non-rooted version of recovery when you reboot?

I seen to have this problem. I am rooted and running sapphire 1.0 just going along fat, dumb and happy. I have restored several times using CW with no problems. All of a sudden, I start getting "MD5 sum" errors on my restores. My nandroid backups are all gone and when I flash recoveries I go to the non-rooted SPRecovery. Any ideas?