SPRecovery and Clockwork Recovery

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Oktavius, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Oktavius

Oktavius Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe a noob question but I could find my answers in the search. Currently have Bugless Beast v.9 and I am thinking of trying CyanogenMod. I currently use SPRecovery to backup with Nandroid. If I install Clockword Recovery and ROM Manager to try CyanogenMod, will SPRecovery still work so I can Nandroid back to my Bugless backup if I want to? Thank you!

2. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Yes. Rom Manager gives u the option to switch back n forth between the 2 recovery systems. The only thing is Rom Manager uses Clockwork as the recovery system when installing ROMs with Rom Manager. If u wanna use SP, u choose 'Flash Alternate Recovery' to use SP again. U can then choose 'Boot Into Recovery' to use SP.

3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12

Jroc, I purchased Rom Manager last Friday and installed Cyanogen 5.0.6.1 It was very easy. I noticed that SPR is available under alternative. I've not opened that particular tab.

Yesterday, I was playing around and tried to boot into recovery by pressing the X key and power. Now that I have Rom manager installed things are very different.

Have you used the SPRecovery option in Rom Manager? If so, does it still work like it did before installing Rom Manager? I would appreciate your thoughts on how to open and use SPRecovery.

Mike

4. kaboyd

kaboyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you let RM flash SPrecovery for you it is just like before you flashed CWrecovery. You will be able to use your old backups made with SP. The switch back and forth between SP and CW images is painless with the RM app.

Edit: Just to make sure you know, RM will not work when you flash back to SPrecovery. All the boxes pertaining to ROMs in the app will grey out until you reflash CW.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks kaboyd! I was hoping that was the case.

I imagine that c backup made with ClockWork will not work with SPRecover and backups made with SPRecovery will not work with ClockWork. Is that correct?

Mike

6. kaboyd

kaboyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. The backups are different between the two images. They have to be handled separately from each other.

7. Oktavius

Oktavius Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow. You guys are awesome. So looks like I dont have anything to worry about. Will probably play with this tomorrow. Thank you!

8. bje1982

bje1982 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    or you could open terminal and type:

su
    flashspr

done