Spot Connect for Android Helps You Stay Connected Virtually Anywhere

dbmorris

Reaction score
It's a satellite provider, meaning I'm sure it requires a clear sky. Something that small probably doesn't have the technology to break through a wicked storm.

You don't need clear skies for satellite coverage. If you did, GPS would not be as widespread as it is...
It doesn't work really well under foliage or next to walls, though. I'm a land surveyor, so I have a little background with satellite reception.

Agree to a point, most newer GPS receivers have different chip sets than the Spots have and have much better reception even with heavy tree coverage. The spots do well but nothing like a GPS. This device is a pretty neat concept but I can't imagine a use for it in the states. Unlike a call text msgs don't take much of a signal to get a txt out, have seen them used with lost hikers many times even though they couldn't get a call out. If you are that far out there and you are worried about getting a msg out than a sat phone would be a better choice or an ACR PLB type device, something for actual emergencies. I wouldn't trust my life to the Spot if I thought I would really need it. That's just my opinion though, so take it for what its worth.