Spoofing update?

RPG7

Reaction score
This is a thought mainly coming from my not understanding a whole lot about this all, but theoretically why can't we spoof an update and trick the phone into giving us root? Is it that we don't know what needs to be changed?

Forgive my noobish question.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good question, and welcome to the forum.

Some phones can be rooted the same way and others can not. I'd think that once the manufacture locked down exploit A for new phones some developer will find exploit B that will work not only on the new phones but all the old ones due to it being some undiscovered hole or hack in the OS. RageInTheCage was an exploit that kept firing up over and over. I believe it hit a limit in the number of processes that could run where each process is normally assigned to a non-root user and when it hit the ceiling it assigned the next one as root. Bam...then we can overwrite certain files and stay rooted. Of course the powers that be work on closing those things up. That's why with each update people wonder if they will be unrooted and have to wait for someone to figure out how to root their device all over again. Which is also why people with rooted devices hesitate to take the updates until someone else has tested the waters.

When the D1 was rooted the method used was exactly what you mentioned above. Another thing that comes into play is the bootloader. You've probably heard/seen discussions about whether or not a phone will have a locked bootloader or not. With it locked down each rom that is flashed needs to present Moto's signed certificate, for which only Motorola has the key for. The D1 did not need a signed cert which gave us all greater freedom over our phones and is one reason it has enjoyed the benefits of so many roms and tweaks made to it.

I'm sure one of the devs here that work on discovering root on our phones can expand on this a bit more and probably explain it a bit better than I.

lunacie

Reaction score
I'm curious why talented hackers out there haven't managed to crack moto's keys for signing the bootloader. Some seriously complex encryption has been routinely hacked by some of the more prolific warez groups, you'd think they'd relish the challenge presented here.

Root will come, I'm confident. And with moto releasing unlocked bootloaders, I imagine even if VZW looses they're minds and doesn't push it to D3 it'll leak (fingers crossed) and we'll get our unlock.

But I'm an optimist. And I've been observing the evolution of root and unlock on Atrix.

OP
R

RPG7

Reaction score
Thank for the info I'd figured more as I read around more… O well there are good people working on it and I'm sure we're gonna get it.