1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

speeding monitor, can it be made?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tlj000, Sep 29, 2010.

1. tlj000

tlj000 New Member

Would it be possible to make an app that would give you audible warnings when your speeding. I usually commute to work with Google maps on for traffic info. If I could trace my way to work with Google maps then manually enter the speed zones, it would be great to have a warning system that lets you know when your over the speed limit.
    That thing in the dashboard is just to easy to ignore and I find myself speeding to often.

I don't have a clue how to do it, so maybe somebody is bored and would like a challenge.

There's an app called speedview that is close to what I'm looking for but you can't set enough speed zones.
    I contacted someone at speedview and they said it is something they would like to add. No estimate when they would have it.
  2. Abadus

Abadus New Member

Recently took a 26 hour drive with my dad to buy a car. His GPS would warn him iff he was speeding. It even did it in canada. So it can be done.

I do not know of an app though.
  3. bigtex52

bigtex52 New Member

26 hours! Must be some car!
  4. bill12690

bill12690 New Member

i know ive seen an app like this, dont remember if it was android or iphone though..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  5. FRATBoy

FRATBoy New Member

You don't check your gauges while driving? There is a lot more information there than just your speed.

Maybe instead of looking for an app to notify you when you are speeding, you should concentrate on being a better and more alert driver.

BTW...I can see it now...

"Officer/Judge, my app didn't have the right speed programmed in!"

or

"My app didn't tell me I was speeding, so how could the officer give me a ticket? His radar is obviously wrong."
  6. droider4life

droider4life New Member

Check out "speed limit" from the market.
  7. tlj000

tlj000 New Member

I tried speed limit, it a nice idea but needs a lot of work. It crashed almost every time I tried to add a point to their database. I'm looking for something that would work in the backround and give an audible warning.
    On the first or last 10 miles of my commute to work the speed limit changes between 30 and 45 a few times on the same road. Dropping down from 45 to 30 seem like you barley moving. That's were I need a reminder.
  8. droider4life

droider4life New Member

that makes sense, Good luck. ;)
  9. lilcdroid

lilcdroid New Member

The only problem is that it relies on your gps signal. If its weak, buildings, trees, ect, it won't immediately tell you. As an officer, I've pulled over countless numbers of people who state they were using their gps as their speedometer and nonetheless got in trouble. Only true way to way to be safe is the speedometer and attention.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. vmspionage

vmspionage New Member

Sounds like a pretty easy app to make, the problems I see are
    1) Where to get road speed data, or
    2) Requiring the user to punch in data points as they are driving down the road

If there is a similar app already on the market it wouldn't make sense to code another unless there was a market for it and the competition really sucked. Unless you PayPal me 500 bucks or so to get something started :D
Search tags for this page

google maps speed limit warning

is there an app that will give an audible alert when speedin

you are speeding app