Speech to text

griz8791

Reaction score
. . .

Ok maybe im not understanding here. I read this FaQ FAQ and i installed Handcent SMS and TTS Library. All i can get it to do is read my text messages to me. How do i get it to translate my voice to text??

Thanks in advance

I had the same problem and initially thought I hadn't installed it correctly.

This app has a LOT of options. You need to go into the settings and scroll way, way down through the almost interminable options. Near the bottom is an entire group of settings labeled "speech." I found one or more of those unchecked, and after enabling them found I had a microphone icon in my compose-text window.

chomorro

Reaction score
Thanks i was so confused lol. I ended getting talk to me keyboatd but now im goong to try handsent

I just checked and i think the settongs you are referring to are for reading texts outloud.

Last edited:

ThePhoneGuy

Reaction score
I downloaded the .99 Talktome keyboard. I was very happy with the quality. The one item it (or the SMS app) did was remove the display of the suggested words that you are typing. For someone that is a S-L-O-W typer, i liked that feature. However, back to the speech to text, TalkToMe Keyboard for .99 has been great.

I downloaded it, pretty good, not bad at all.

chomorro

Reaction score
with talk to me keyboard is there a way to have text predict enabled still? Im evem worse at typing now lol

wegriffith3

Reaction score
. . .

Ok maybe im not understanding here. I read this FaQ FAQ and i installed Handcent SMS and TTS Library. All i can get it to do is read my text messages to me. How do i get it to translate my voice to text??

Thanks in advance

I had the same problem and initially thought I hadn't installed it correctly.

This app has a LOT of options. You need to go into the settings and scroll way, way down through the almost interminable options. Near the bottom is an entire group of settings labeled "speech." I found one or more of those unchecked, and after enabling them found I had a microphone icon in my compose-text window.

Went down to the bottom, found the "speech" label, but only box I can check/uncheck is which TTS I use. Can't seem to get the micropone icon to display in my compose-text window. Any ideas??

griz8791

Reaction score
Went down to the bottom, found the "speech" label, but only box I can check/uncheck is which TTS I use. Can't seem to get the micropone icon to display in my compose-text window. Any ideas??

This is probably my fault. In my post above I said something about microphone in the compose window, and that isn't right. The microphone icon doesn't initially appear in the compose window. You have to touch the menu key to get it.

Start Handcent. With my set up this icon is in the top left corner of the screen and looks like a piece of paper with a pencil laying across it diagonally.

Once Handcent is displaying this "new message" window, touch the menu key on the chassis of the phone. It's a hardware button, not a screen button -- the one between the "back" key and the "home" key. That will bring up 6 new screen buttons at the bottom of your "new message" window. On mine, the "speak" icon looks like a microphone. Sometimes it shows up on the left side of the bottom row of 3 buttons, sometimes it's in the center of that row.

wegriffith3

Reaction score
Yeah, I had already found that route, I was hoping you were on to something super special!!

Thanks for the info.

chomorro

Reaction score
Been using talk to me keyboard for awhile and it works great. I emailed the developer and asked for text predict and now the new version has it. Excellent support and definitely recommend this app at 99 cents ;)

JohnAP2

Reaction score
Gotta love the Talk to Me! For a buck how can you go wrong...

zegolf

Reaction score
Using Handcent, it does a great job determining what I'm saying (it was able to type out "LG ENV") however the one thing it seems to be lacking is punctuation. Is there a way to do this?

jmackxiii

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but does Talk to Me work with Swype? Can i have both installed and still use swype when i want to type out a message and Talk to Me when i want to speak one?

DroidFan

Reaction score
That would be really nice to incorporate into text messaging so I wouldnt have to text while driving! ;)

Handcent has this option...I use it all the time, although it's accurate about 75% of the time...

I use it when driving as well, so I'm not typing/texting (very illegal you know! ;) )