SPEECH to TEXT APPS ?

fLiP SiD3

Reaction score
I do alot of driving and would prefer to speak into my phone and it create a text message that I can send or is there maybe some app where you can speak into it and it sends your voice message right over to the other party (I know sprint has that).......

I have already tried HANDCENT SMS and it works okay........if you want to sound like a robot t a l k i n g into your phone.

kettigm

Reaction score
I do alot of driving and would prefer to speak into my phone and it create a text message that I can send or is there maybe some app where you can speak into it and it sends your voice message right over to the other party (I know sprint has that).......

I have already tried HANDCENT SMS and it works okay........if you want to sound like a robot t a l k i n g into your phone.

Talktome keyboard is pretty good and easy to use

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
2.1 does have it incorporated, though only the ones who have rooted and installed a ROM with it can tell us how it functions.

I'm curious as to how long it will go recording, for example if you were going to compose an email body ...

mach330

Reaction score
i tried using handcent too. it's ok for the most part. it's funny how it does #### when i say the 'F' word. lol

OP
fLiP SiD3

fLiP SiD3

Reaction score
i tried using handcent too. it's ok for the most part. it's funny how it does #### when i say the 'F' word. lol

I put it to that test too..........but , am hoping someday you can talk into the phone and it just spits out on the other end with your own voice message rather than like a text message

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
2.1 does have it incorporated, though only the ones who have rooted and installed a ROM with it can tell us how it functions.

I'm curious as to how long it will go recording, for example if you were going to compose an email body ...

You only have about 30 secs of speech, before getting "Error too much speech". Your phone doesn't decode it, your phone sends it to Google, Google's computers decode it to text, and send the text back to you. So it works great for a text message, but if you want to dictate a lengthy message you will have to use it more than once. *edit* Just tested it, counting upwards in roughly 1 second intervals, and got to 30 as it failed.

Also, it isn't 100% accurate, obviously. So you have to proofread what it spits out, and correct it. Earlier today I was using it and I said "Shallow" and it gave me "Shiloh" which makes sense, they sound similar. Going too fast, not using correct enunciation or pronunciation, or talking in a noisy environment all impair your results.

I think Handcent uses the same thing, as does the voice search built into the phone. I think.

Last edited:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, it isn't 100% accurate, obviously. So you have to proofread what it spits out, and correct it. Earlier today I was using it and I said "Shallow" and it gave me "Shiloh" which makes sense, they sound similar. Going too fast, not using correct enunciation or pronunciation, or talking in a noisy environment all impair your results.

I think Handcent uses the same thing, as does the voice search built into the phone. I think.

Can't be any worse than Google Voice's Visual VM translations. God those are so bad they're hilarious... If it's better on 2.1 maybe they'll put these new algorithms into use for GV.