Specific question regarding kernels

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Dan at Marquette, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Dan at Marquette

Dan at Marquette Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, allow me to lay out my situation. I'm running an older Sholesmod build (2.0.2 I believe) because it's been stable for me ever since I ran it, and when people had problems with 2.0.3 I chose not to upgrade, just sticking with what worked.

My only complaint at the moment is that the phone DOES sometimes run hot. I've done much searching on the forums and elsewhere about low voltage kernels.

My understanding is that I am to go here:

Index of /roms/motorola/droid/adamz/glass_boots

From this point, I am unsure as to whether or not I am supposed to click "kernels" and download the lv 1000 one, or if I'm supposed to download the esd56 .rom.tgz file.

From there, I believe I am supposed to boot into recovery (power + x on boot) and select install, then choose the downloaded file. It's supposed to not affect the ROM I'm currently running, just replace the kernel, is that correct?

Sorry to ask all of these questions, I just don't want to screw up what I already have, and I'm willing to try simple things like this as long as I cross check them first.

I'm not sure if this has any impact on how to do this either, but I'm on a Macbook Pro using Safari for the download.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know the build number you are on with the sholes install. However, as long as you have a nandroid full recovery file you can get back to exactly where you are right now if something goes wrong. If you don't have one create one now. Then go mess with swapping your kernel

Here is Adamz's thread on his kernels.

[Release] Smoked Glass Boots *Updated 03/08* (ALL Builds/Voltages - 42 Kernels)

3. Dan at Marquette

Dan at Marquette Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. So I did a backup, and flashed the file called smoked.glass.boot.ESD56.rom, and it just does another backup by sprecovery but never changed my kernel. What am I doing wrong?