Spec showdown: Surface Book vs. MacBook Pro, from cheapest to priciest

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Jeffrey, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    An informative chart put together by the folks over at Macworld.. Based on price and specs, will you go for the Surface or the MAC?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +936
    I went Dell XPS 13 with the infinity display. No other true laptop (sorry Surface Pro) matches it in terms of portability, power and battery life.

It's $600 cheaper than the entry Surface Book for basically the exact same specs, but 0.8lbs lighter and 6 more hours of battery life. So what if the Dell's screen doesn't detach? Oops, the Dell is only an FHD non-touch display.

Personally I think the touch/tablet 2-in-1's have limited practical application, even if detachable, because smaller and lighter dedicated tablets are superior for extended use - give me the battery life of non-touch FHD. After the Dell, I'd be looking at the Yoga Pro or HP Spectre 360 if I wanted "tablet" features for rare business occasions.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    I haven't looked at the Yoga Pro and never had luck with HP products. I have a 6 year old Macbook that I refreshed with an SSD. Apple keeps updating it and it runs great. Guess I'll stick with my MAC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    I would like to see a touch screen MBP. One day they are bound to release it whenever they figure out how to spin it off as the cool new feature.

I'm not the demographic these touchscreen hybrids are after although I do like the general idea behind it.

I like a solid keyboard that you don't have to fidget with to attach it.

What I would like to see is the form factor of the Macbook Air built with the power of the MBP.

I run Windows on my MBP and agree with Jeffrey. It is a few years old and runs flawlessly. Whatever peaks my interest will have to do so pretty dramatically for me to even begin thinking about purchasing it. Nothing on the market right now has done that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +936
    Yoga Pro just came out. HP Spectre 360 is rated one of the best laptops of 2015, right behind the Dell XPS.

Companies seem to go through cycles. I had an HP Envy that I liked. I swore I would never go back to Dell after an awful sales experience (they kept telling me my pc was being built and would ship in a week...after about 6 weeks I finally canceled).

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +936
    There are several laptops fitting that bill, you'll just have to live with Windows 10 (which is excellent).

7. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    I enjoy windows 10. It's a great mix of Win7 and Win8. I run it on my MBP.

I like having the option of booting into OSX on occasion which I could if I purchased a windows box and hackintoshed it.

The biggest draw to the MBP for me was the screen. Ironically, I wanted the original Surface when it was released, but my wife "surprised" me with a MBP. I couldn't say no seeing as how excited she was about gifting it to me so I did what any good husband would...I bootcamped Windows onto it lol.

8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +936
    I hate schilling for Dell, mainly because I couldn't get an i7 without getting gouged on a bunch of other stuff I didn't want or need (so I took the option $500 cheaper)...but their QHD screen on the Inifity displays is rated the best on the market.

The problem is, with Dell and almost everyone else, the high-end specs are bundled which means you are getting gouged not only for a top feature, but several other bundled features you might not want. I think all their margin must be in the top-tier devices, probably like 25% - plenty of money can still be saved building your own high-end PC, but you can't build your own laptop.

So I skimped on the laptop, deciding if I need more power I'll remote connect to my home desktop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    The qHD screens are a dime a dozen now a days. When the rMBP was released it had the best screen on the market. That right there was what won me over when using it. If it weren't for that screen I wouldn't own it anymore.

Basically, it's my gaming box. I have turned to doing most of my work on my tablet unless I have to do some intensive formula work.

We have dell's in our offices around the world and they work very well.

10. droidprincess

droidprincess Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,100
    Current Phone Model:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Twitter:
    droidprincesstx
    If I decide to go back to windows I may look into these....I like my lil cheap chromebook though:D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    If it works for you, why change..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,073
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    If I could wrote code on one, I'd have a Chromebook.

• Like Like x 2