speaker has crackling sound

ulli_shameer

Reaction score
I've got the same problem.. just picked up a new piece.. first call i received, the earphone speaker seems to be crackling slightly.. call quality seems affected very much..!!
Any fixes or suggestions would help.. otherwise its going back to the retailers..

wah007

Reaction score
I have a crackling sound too but only at 100% volume. Anything under 100% and I can't hear it as on my previous phones like the Defy it was the same

ulli_shameer

Reaction score
Crackling still happening.. The crackling gets worse especially when i'm on call for a little longer..!! In the end, I end up asking the other person to repeat everything they say.. The Motorola Razr, and FAIL!!

Sent from my XT910 using DroidForums

wah007

Reaction score
I am getting my replacement tomorrow so see how that goes. It doesn't bother me that much anyway but it's just that for a phone I paid so much and it's not perfect.

Anyway I can send it in for warranty repair later on so no problem.

ulli_shameer

Reaction score
That's exactly the point. When we pay a whole lot to buy a 'smartphone', it has to do what it says.. Not irritate with small niggling issues like this..

And I sent Motorola an official complaint email. They replied that they would try and see what the concern is.. The no reply yet. It's been 3 days now..!

Sent from my XT910 using DroidForums

wah007

Reaction score
Yes. I made a thread about it on the Motorola forums also and the Motorola staff 'TRose' took my IMEI number and is looking into the matter.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Does this happen only on calls or at other times, like when listening to music? Is EVERYONE with a RAZR experiencing this?

sakosta

Reaction score
There are 3 speakers on the new razr. Maybe a finger rubbing one of them causes the crackling?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

dustinslee

Reaction score
My razr has crackle watching YouTube vids and some music depends on the song...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

ulli_shameer

Reaction score
Ok, so here's where I am at..

I wrote to the Global Motorola helpdesk and they promised to get back to me in 24 hours (which never happened). After reminding them yesterday, i received an email from them.....

Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.
We apologize for the inconvenience. Power the phone off and on. Check for software update.
Press the Menu key from the Home Screen.
Tap Settings.
Tap About phone.
Tap System updates.

If you get the same result, perform the factory data reset. Factory Data Reset is a tool used to remove everything that was imported, added or installed on the device. Keep in mind, when using this feature everything is deleted. Nothing stored on the MicroSD or the internal phone storage will be affected unless you choose to erase it as well.
Factory Data Reset
From the screen of your phone, press the Menu button
Tap Settings.
Scroll down and tap Privacy
Tap Factory Data Reset
Check Erase internal storage if you would like to erase all the data on the phone internal storage such as applications, music, movies or photos.
Tap Reset Phone

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.
For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at Motorola Home - Motorola USA
Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

I followed the entire sequence, and voila! the rattle still happens.. By the way, there was no software update available at the time.. So, I'm stuck again... :blink:
Guess i have to take it back to the retailer.. SUCKS!

DukeL

Reaction score
I've got the same problem.. just picked up a new piece.. first call i received, the earphone speaker seems to be crackling slightly.. call quality seems affected very much..!!
Any fixes or suggestions would help.. otherwise its going back to the retailers..

Do you hear crackling when using the earpiece or speakerphone? I noticed my RAZR crackles if I have it up to 100% on speakerphone but is fine when using earpiece during call.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
If the "crackling" is during calls, I would try:
1) dial *22899 and wait for phone to hang up to update PRLs (not sure if this is applicable for LTE)
2) turn off "voice privacy" in phone settings EDIT: on Droid 3 it is phone settings > call settings > (scroll down) voice privacy > uncheck
3) reboot every day
4) turn phone volume down one notch from full at least
5) make sure hand or phone case is not blocking one of the microphones

This could be something that gets fixed with an update, but who can say? I wonder how widespread the issue is.

Last edited: