Speach to Text

BattleDroid

Reaction score
Is there an App available which woulud convert speach to text for SMS and Emails ETC?

Thanks

griz8791

Reaction score
Talk to Me Keyboard allows you to dictate into any text field anywhere on the device. It's reasonably accurate with short phrases but you aren't going to be dictating any novels with it.

Handcent SMS, which is free, allows you to dictate text messages but I don't think its speech-recognition feature works anywhere else on the phone. Speech recognition is just one of many features that make Handcent a much more customizeable text messaging app than the built in SMS application.

I prefer the way Handcent brings up its microphone from an off-screen menu to the way Talk to Me Keyboard requires you to use their substitute keyboard, which seems to lack some of the features of the built-in keyboard. If you do end up installing Talk to Me Keyboard you might want to consider not making it the default keyboard and instead keeping both keyboards enabled. This way you can long press in the text field you want to fill and choose the particular input method you want.

Realize also that speech recognition doesn't happen on the Droid. The Droid uploads your dictation to Google's servers, which then recognize it and pass it back to the Droid. It probably sounds weird but it's surprisingly quick in real time.

Zippster

Reaction score
Handcent has it built in for free, not always perfect but pretty funny with what it comes up with.

griz8791

Reaction score
I have handcent, how do you speak to text?

First get to the "compose" window so you have a blank text message in front of you. Then tap the menu button (the one on the chassis of the phone, not on the screen, between the back and home buttons) and there will be an icon that looks like a microphone which is labeled "speak."

Zippster

Reaction score
That microphone also shows up as an option when you receive a text through handcent.

Its far from perfect, but for short regular expressions works most times, even though I did just reply to my wife "thats ok" and it thought I said, "randolphs gay" she replied asking who Randolph was? lol