Spam text messages - credit card debt crap

TheCleaner

Reaction score
Anyone else getting these?

I've had 3 in the past month.

Number = 5623087933

"If you are struggling with your credit card payments and have more than $10k in debt, our program can lower your payments. Would you like to learn more?"

==========================

This is ridiculous. I've blocked it on Verizon's site...but was wondering if anyone else is getting stuff like this?

Silver Member
Reaction score
it can happen if you've ever entered your number at a website that has sold your information. in fact, it happens quite often.

check this blog to see if it helps:

How to Block Cellphone Spam - Pogue’s Posts Blog - NYTimes.com

* Verizon Wireless: Log in at vtext.com. Under Text Messaging, click Preferences. Click Text Blocking. You’re offered choices to block text messages from e-mail or from the Web. Here again, you can block specific addresses or Web sites. (Here’s where you set up your aliases, too.)

OP
TheCleaner

TheCleaner

Reaction score
Now you're a moderator? Man, you have too much free time. ;)

Low Saturn

Reaction score
it can happen if you've ever entered your number at a website that has sold your information. in fact, it happens quite often.

And sometimes you can be billed for this.

A few months ago I noticed a $9.99 charge on my bill. I called Verizon to inquire about it and was told it was from a 3rd party. Like those online IQ tests where you have to enter your number to get the results and stuff like that. I never enter my cell phone number anywhere. I ended up getting the issue taken care of and my $9.99 back, but I also put a block on premium text messages to all three numbers on my plan. All it takes is someone to enter your phone number on those online ads for you to get billed.

Caniac Nation

Reaction score
I had the same problem but it was 2-3 text messages/day and 2-3 phone calls. Someone by a different name filled in my phone #. Not sure if it was malicious or not. Anyway, after calling Verizon and getting them to remove the mssgs multiple times, I blocked all text messages to my phone. Oh well. I also have had to tell callers constantly to take me off their calling list, etc. They have pretty much stopped...for now.

sustained

Reaction score
Thanks for this 640k! It may come in handy.

I had to change my last cell number because of many texts from credit repair and loan companies. Some girl kept transposing her first few cell phone digits and kept giving these sites my phone number! Grrr. I was bombarded with texts and calls.

And my old number was great - it ended in 4 zeros! xxx-0000.

But that girl ruined it.

check this blog to see if it helps:

How to Block Cellphone Spam - Pogue’s Posts Blog - NYTimes.com

* Verizon Wireless: Log in at vtext.com. Under Text Messaging, click Preferences. Click Text Blocking. You’re offered choices to block text messages from e-mail or from the Web. Here again, you can block specific addresses or Web sites. (Here’s where you set up your aliases, too.)

droidspammed

Reaction score
droid spammed with loan messages

I have received many spam texts for loans all pointing to websites below this message. If any attorney reads this and wants to help can the spam, please leave a way to contact you. I've never applied or used any loan services and started getting these text messages after getting the Motorola Droid and using applications. Also the settings for applications did not authorize texts. I've saved all texts. Leave contact info so I can reach you.
WWW.1-hour-cash-advances.com
WWW.getloan1hour.com
WWW.quickcash-in-1-hour.com
WWW.paydayloananddebtassistance.com
WWW.90dayadvances.com
WWW.celltrust.com
WWW.funds555.com
Also filed a complaint at the following:
[email protected]
www.naruc.org/commissions.cfm

jgumphress

Reaction score
I had Verizon to block all my text msg services all together too because I was getting so many of these. It's not fair that we have to pay 10 cents a hit for this crap (that is for those that do not have a text package). And the government Do-Not-Call registry is a bunch of crap too.

I never saw the purpose of a text in the first place. I can call the other party and say what I want to say just as fast.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't get them often but when I do there is always a response you can text back to them like "stop" and they quit bugging you.

There are so many ways they can get the numbers, I wouldn't be blaming apps, although that certainly can be true with some apps. Like I found out by responding to a baseball trivia question on a different cable broad cast then what I had that I began to get messages from Comcrap cable. I stopped those right away.

I'm not certain but can't you put these numbers on the no call list as well. Then if they continue to pursue you you can get the State Attorney General to look into it for you.