Spam in Notification Area

megraven21

Reaction score
I have recently been getting BS spam notifications, "you've win $1000!" Or "Claim your Free iPhone4!". Im sure it's coming from an app but I don't know how to tell which one. Since it's a recent thing, I have to assume its an app I have just recently downloaded. Anyone know how to figure it out?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Pop up ads. It's coming from an app. Ditch the ap they go away

sharkerbaby

Reaction score
I think there's an app called "airpush detector"(?) that is supposed to identify which app(s) are using the service.

Caligula2008

Reaction score
Download any free music apps lately? Those have been known to spam :). If rooted you can configure any apps auto start policies in a separate app (such as gemini) to prevent the app from starting up and pushing these notifications.

Have to find the guilty app tho.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Download any free music apps lately? Those have been known to spam :). If rooted you can configure any apps auto start policies in a separate app (such as gemini) to prevent the app from starting up and pushing these notifications.

Have to find the guilty app tho.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

And LWP. For me it was a Halloween one. Which sucked cause it was amazing.

OP
M

megraven21

Reaction score
I don't have it rooted. I wish I knew how to do that. :(

The weird thing is, there are 2 notifications showing up that are exactly the same and at the same time. At first I thought "maybe it's something having to do with gmail since I have 2 gmail account attached to this phone. But that wouldn't make sense. So I started thinking maybe I have 2 applications from the same developer so I started checking in my application list and I found 2 from 1 particular developer and 2 from another. So I uninstalled 1 of the apps to see if tomorrow I get only 1 spam notification. If I still get 2, I will try removing 1 of the other applications from the other developer. I will keep you all posted.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I don't have it rooted. I wish I knew how to do that. :(

The weird thing is, there are 2 notifications showing up that are exactly the same and at the same time. At first I thought "maybe it's something having to do with gmail since I have 2 gmail account attached to this phone. But that wouldn't make sense. So I started thinking maybe I have 2 applications from the same developer so I started checking in my application list and I found 2 from 1 particular developer and 2 from another. So I uninstalled 1 of the apps to see if tomorrow I get only 1 spam notification. If I still get 2, I will try removing 1 of the other applications from the other developer. I will keep you all posted.

If possible. Try to remember when it started, and then see if there were any apps you either updated or installed around that time.

ArtieD

Reaction score
How to stop Airpush ads from appearing in your Notification Bar

Unwanted ads in you Notification Bar are coming from a form of advertising called Airpush. They come from Apps and go into your Notifications List. You cannot clear them with the minus sign or Clear buttons. The only way to dismiss them is to open them. There are several ways to get rid of them.
  1. You can sort your Apps by date of installation using AppMonster. Delete Apps in reverse order of installation (delete most recently added Apps first), keeping notes of which ones you delete, until the Notifications stop. Then you've found the bad App. Then reinstall the good Apps.
  2. Use Airpush Detector after you receive an Airpush ad and before you activate it (i.e. while it is still in your notification list). The Airpush Detector will tell you which App sent you the Spam. Remove it.
  3. Install the Airpush Permanent Opt-Out App and select "I Don't Want Airpush Ads". You will be protected from ever receiving them again (at least that's what they say).
  4. Manually remove your phone from Airpush ads by going to Android Ad Network | Push Notification ad network | Mobile Ad network | Android app monetization on your PC and selecting Manual Opt-Out. Enter your IMEI number and select "Submit". To get your IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number enter the characters *#06# from your phones dialpad. On VerizonWireless I got HEX: and DEC: numbers. I entered the DEC: number and the program accepted it.
I actually did all these things and haven't had a problem since.

moonlilymad711

Reaction score
This program worked for me!!!

I was getting something almost every day and it would say I could unsubscribe but there was never a link. I used the airpush detector app and it showed me 3 recently added apps that were sending me spam. I removed them all and no problems since!!!!