Sourcery 2.2 - Full Version

buellboy9

Reaction score
Silly question but: what was the original kernel packaged with Sourcery 2.2? I think I'd like to flash back to it...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

buellboy9

Reaction score
Okay, I've flashed Slayher's 1.6 800Mhz kernel. I never really ran the 1Ghz kernel flat out 'cause it killed the battery, and I can scale the 800Mhz kernel down to 125Mhz at idle to increase battery life.

kamisan

Reaction score
bullet proof launcher

I'll just post it publicly see if anyone has any ideas.
Saturnalius's Apps on the Motorola Droid - Page 1

Slayher 1100kernel
No Compcache running
I did run the V6 supercharger script, with multitasking settings and bulletproof launcher.

Just a recomendation, do "hard to kill launcher" not bulletproof. If your phone needs the memory to answer a call, better a FC on launcher or lag than lost call. Bullet proof can cause that.

Also if you read zellinrox posts he recomends a kernel that supports interactive settings since his custom kernel tweaks are based on that.

kamisan

Reaction score
DWB your verbosian ways are refreshing, my .001 worth

Ok a circuitous way to say, nice long winded post DWB ;-P

battery wise most people think of nickel metal hydride batteries, they left chem deposits that over time without complete draining limited the total charge they would hold. Hence run em dead...
well these are lithium ion. completely different animal, not a chemist but I do know they don't do well in heat, so get her hot and she quickly becomes less workable.. Sad I know.. Overclocking causes heat, leaving it on your dash in the sun,, etc etc,, all work down the battery.. (p.s. new batteries online are dirt cheap)

as with DWB (I'm a lazy typer and haven't typed the word BONG since,, well along time ago) I run interactive setting on my kernel.

V6 script is not a cure all. Zepplinrox knew what he was doing but MANY people using his script do not have a clue what it really does.
one thing I learned-
Bulletproof launcher is a bad thing
Hard to kill launcher is not
re arranging the memory settings need to follow what your trying to accomplish, and some OOM (out of memory) settings should be left alone (Sourcery rom does a good job on its own)

mutlitasking is just what is says, myself I use balanced number 3 with sourcery, was a miui junkie until the overhead made me jump ship leaving ginger for the older more experianced sister.

Battery life, so much messes with it, screen timeout, CPU settings, brightness settings, apps that wake the phone, widgets, the battery quality itself, how hot it gets while charging (I put mine in the freezer to test it, charged slower held it longer, I dont recomend that unless you have a spare phone to use as I do)

charge current makes a large difference on D1's if your charger is 500-700mha your in the ballpark if its 1200 your sailing. under 200 your not charging well.

slow down over time, I see that somewhat in most roms, most PC's as well. Is it junk files, somewhat, but not 100%
the phone is a bunch of chips that at the core are still compiling 1' and 0's and repetitive writes on the same area that seldom change will sometimes ghost the 1 when a 0 is written over it. I do tech work for a living on point of sale and fuel sites and see this. We often change the order of memory chips in a till on reload because it eliminates errata for just that reason. Why should any device be much different. All data written on chips leaves ghost images. That is how people get caught even if they delete things...

What to do to speed it up,
I see some GB based roms going to crons (automated tasks, cron is an OLD dos command from the days of Dr Dos if anyone remembers that and they probably took it from an older language like fortran or cobal)
The cron is clearing dalvik cache and temp files.. The perceived speed up might be from a fresh write to memory more than just the dumping of errata. Regardless rebooting, clearing junk all seem to make some phones faster.. Just as DWB said different phones all have unique properties to deal with. Even stock phones get slow after a while.

Sourcery is a SOLID rom though, froyo does play better on D1 more so than GB.

Another thing to check for your speed-
pull your mem card, check the android folder where your apps on SD are stored and delete any you no longer have.. (residue is left there and it WILL slow you down, cause apps to take FOREVER to show up and sometimes cause a needed reboot to see all your apps) You know you have alot of garbage there if your reboot shows icons that when you click say "app not installed" then a reboot later there working. This folder is hidden when you simply connect your phone to your pc. You need to pull the card and read it direct.

just my .01 worth.

buellboy9

Reaction score
Two things:

As far as "Battery Charge Memory" I think you're referring to the old Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) batteries.

And "cron" is a standard UNIX daemon (which is why it is also available on Android/Linux) and has nothing to do with any version of DOS.

Other than that, good info.

kamisan

Reaction score
Two things:

As far as "Battery Charge Memory" I think you're referring to the old Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) batteries.

And "cron" is a standard UNIX daemon (which is why it is also available on Android/Linux) and has nothing to do with any version of DOS.

Other than that, good info.

Dr dos 5. O runs gasboy point of sale. Cron is a basic command for it. Ms dos your right.
Nicad is older than nickel metal hydride and both older than lithium ion. Hydride was supposed to alleviate the memory issues by leaving less deposits upon conversion.

LOad CRon (76) creates cron entries.
Options: CI
I option removes all entries from the cron file
Action types: @ ! ^ % ? #
@ DWMMDDYYHHMM command is a timed
entry
! command executes at a system restart
^ command executes at boot
% command executes when transaction file is
near full
# command executes immediately after loading
then command is removed from cron table
Note: an optional hyphen (-) after the action type
and before the command name suppresses
output to the printer.

old people remember old stuff. Tech people just Google it. I'm a bit of both
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-metal_hydride_battery

:)

Last edited:

kamisan

Reaction score
P. S. If you do links2sd do not link launcher handscent or any HI need app. They take longer to load from external sd

Last edited:

crashngo

Reaction score
Hey, I just flashed sourcery tonight great rom. I am having problems with the theme changer. I choose a rom then it will go into terminal, then it will say "installing ___ theme" then the next line will say "installing: not found" it will go onto to dowbload it but once it says its 100% nothing happens and when i back out of terminal the theme wasn't applied. And if i let it sit in terminal longer enough it reboots into recovery and after i reboot back into android the theme still wasnt applied.

And if it matters, the boot animation changer works.

OP
Chizzele

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Which recovery are you using? do you have multiple update.zip files on your sd?
Do you have usb debugging mode on?

OP
Chizzele

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Rzr wont support the auto theme flash. After terminal emulator finishes the download and reboot into recovery, you have to flash the zip manually, if you want to enjoy the complete automatic features you have to use CWM preferebly version 2.0.5.1

Tapped from my Sourcerized D1