Sourcery 2.2 - Full Version

Bretski169

Reaction score
Does anyone have a yahoo account and tried to use the android email app for it? I know it works on gingerbread but it might Be a froyo thing because its not working.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
Chizzele

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Does anyone know what causes android lag over time and how to stop/reverse it? I know its a complaint leveled at GB mostly but I notice it with froyo roms as well. Its happening right now with my sourcery install. It has about the same free memory as it did when freshly installed. Same kernel, same setup. And yet the phone is getting slower and slower everyday and more buggy. More random reboots, more fcs. I've cleared cache, run fix perm, and yet it continues to deteriorate. This is not a criticism of sourcery by any means, in fact its one of the best in this regard, since its taken about a month to get to this point and others only take a few weeks. I've noticed this with every rom I've ever used as well as with stock roms unrooted. My wifes droidx does it too running liberty. In fact I just wiped it and reinstalled liberty today after three random reboots in an hour and now its running smooth as can be.

The things I notice overtime with sourcery/froyo in general include: less free memory (even clearing texts, cache etc.), general lagginess especially with browser, launcher, and phone; random reboots and general bugginess increase; phone seems to have more and more trouble waking up from screen off overtime even when kernels etc have not changed.

So any ideas short of wiping and reinstalling once a month

Wow... i'm not experiencing that at all on Sourcery and didn't really on any Froyo rom. Might be app related... i did noticed it on GB roms.
Honestly the only things i really do is a reboot every other day or so... manual reboot of course not random.

OP
Chizzele

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Does anyone have a yahoo account and tried to use the android email app for it? I know it works on gingerbread but it might Be a froyo thing because its not working.

Doe's your yahoo account supports pop3 ?
I just use the mobile version of the yahoo site. Bookmark on the desktop and saved password on the browser gives me one click access to the inbox without downloading anything or syncing.

OP
Chizzele

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Simple... if its the free yahoo account it doesn't. See this from my yahoo account:

"POP & Forwarding

Upgrade to Mail Plus so you can:
download your Yahoo! Mail in an email client, such as Outlook
forward your Yahoo! Mail to a different address"

I think the upgrade is like $20 per year. Hotmail and gmail do it for free.

saturnalius

Reaction score
Wow... i'm not experiencing that at all on Sourcery and didn't really on any Froyo rom. Might be app related... i did noticed it on GB roms.
Honestly the only things i really do is a reboot every other day or so... manual reboot of course not random.

Yeah I reboot every day before I go to bed, and clean cache. This seems to happen with every rom I try. Do you know of any apps that would do this? I can post my appbrain list. I'm just tired of reflashing roms every few weeks to keep the phone useable.

Bretski169

Reaction score
why

Why am I able to do it when I am running gingerbread? and why my dad was able to on his droid X running froyo

OP
Chizzele

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I'll be happy to look at your list and make suggestions.. i know that apps that run in the background slow things down but nothing specific that I can name.

Tapped from my Sourcerized D1

OP
Chizzele

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Why am I able to do it when I am running gingerbread? and why my dad was able to on his droid X running froyo

I am not sure what to say... but one work around there i, instead of using the stock email app, you can setup your gmail account to pull your yahoo emails and it will sync to your phone through the gmail app. Just a suggestion. Or you can download the Yahoo app for android.

OP
Chizzele

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Well... there are a few things that i don't run on my phone that you have on the list.

First i hope you don't use TiBu to restore data as that causes issues.
I never tried the SuperCharger script as i never had any need for it.
I don't Use Rom Manager, i flash manually.
I don't run any task killers.

Also, try to limit the amount of apps you have that run auto sync in the bg. Otherwise, not much i can point out, we did have some users that had market issues and after removing the supercharger script it went away, Zepplin did stop by to help tough.
Sorry, wish i had something better to contribute.

saturnalius

Reaction score
Well... there are a few things that i don't run on my phone that you have on the list.

First i hope you don't use TiBu to restore data as that causes issues.
I never tried the SuperCharger script as i never had any need for it.
I don't Use Rom Manager, i flash manually.
I don't run any task killers.

Also, try to limit the amount of apps you have that run auto sync in the bg. Otherwise, not much i can point out, we did have some users that had market issues and after removing the supercharger script it went away, Zepplin did stop by to help tough.
Sorry, wish i had something better to contribute.

TIBU I have just for uninstalling system apps and other utilities.
I just assumed supercharger would help since I used it for GB but I can try undoing it. Not really having any market problems.
I use rommanager just for fixperm, I install manually as well usually with rzr.
I don't use system panel task manager as an actual taskmanager just to monitor running services etc. Was trying to find out what all was running in the bg.

What are you referring to as far as autosync? Like I know gmail does that, and books. But to what else are you referring.

OP
Chizzele

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Take your time, a refreshing addition to Sourcery would make many users happy. I wanted to get the excitement going...

Tapped from my Sourcerized D1

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Saturnalias
First, amazing username!
I think you are watching general entropy in action.
Basically upon anythings first use it will begin its slow descent to trash. Ashes to ashes.
Depending on how the object is used and its initial integrity, which even with mass production seems to vary greatly, impacts its lifespan accordingly.
Also the fact that we are using tiny handheld computers, that not long ago needed to be housed in multiple rooms, only magnifies any possible issues and how they can exponentially degrade your phones health.
This has really been demonstrated best by the introduction of Gingerbread based OS to the original Droid community.
I guess it's been almost half of a year since and I can run most of them without a problem and noticeable improvements across the board. But there are many who have the same phone and have never been able to rock GB without a number of deal breaking issues occurring.
A debate began regarding if GB was really meant to be run on the OG. The No side representative of those who had horrible experiences and the Yes side by those like myself.
I can't argue for a position when all empirical evidence in my hand says otherwise.
-aside-
Yet at core I am a Sourcerer who likes to prove the saying, "You can't go back home", ain't worth a hill of beans.
And this is our hill and these are our beans. (sorry, that was from the movie The Naked Gun and couldn't resist)
So I like to put on my old Michael Jackson jacket from the video for Beat It, flash Sourcery nandroid and go pick up chicks with big hair!
-we now return to our regularly scheduled post already in progress -
This remains the case with GB, clearly illuminating the fact that every phone is relatively unique based on the combination of its initial quality out of the box and its use from that point forward.
Also ongoing impactors like apps on phone and widgets can result in completely different experiences in quality across the board.
I don't think I saw you mention that you also delete all the dalvik cache files and let them rebuild upon the first boot after, which will be a longer reboot. People say that it seems to help keep things fresh, I can't say either way but it's never caused anything negative.
I have no background in computers, but have picked up a bit since acquiring and rooting my OG.
So mostly this is based on poorly applied logic and certain questionable knowledge of many areas in science used in conjunction with observations from what the Droid community posts.
As for battery issues I would look at any list you guys want to post, make sure you say what widgets as well.
Regarding battery drain during bedtime, I am unsure as the old information I learned was that even when you have the screen off you still need to allow the cpu 3 speed slots so if necessary for any specific tasks it can ramp up to provide the power required. But chiz seems to have evidence that this is not the case as he posted above.
I use interactive and no profiles and never allow speeds below 250 as they seemed to slow down the waking screen process.
With those settings I rarely see any drain over the night.
Yet chiz gets similar results with a totally different set up. Why? Wish I could even get an inkling, but the well has run dry.
And another morsel to add to the pile of unanswerable mysteries of unknown, almost every post on the forums regarding battery maintenance is the exact opposite of what studies say.
The whole drain battery completely then fully recharge and wipe stats is proven in testing to be the worst thing for your batteries health and longevity? These steps were dead on, but for a different type of battery.
We have batteries where the opposite is true, and testing bares it out.
It is recommended that you plug in whenever possible if you are below 100%.
This increases longevity and number of times you can "cycle" the battery, let it run down, but not to 0, and recharge fully.
Something I have learned here in the Droid community is that something being agreed upon by more than just the majority, does not make it so.
I think this is due to an echo chamber effect within a relatively closed society. One person with some respected knowledge states something that ends up being incorrect but is accepted as fact because no one knows otherwise and the info comes from a source trusted based on other info stated in the past proven correct.
This information is then spread throughout the forums on different threads lending the claim greater credibility until it becomes basic dogma.
The problem is though you thought you were attaining confirmation from a variety of sources, it was merely several people whose information had unbeknownst to them all flowed from the initial single source.
This is the major failure of looking at others as experts on something.
As in reality, expert now merely means the person who knows one more thing than everyone else involved. So once dealing with a different subject the expert may in fact be a novice.
Well good thing we have the freedom of speech or I could get thrown in the clink for buzzed blathering.
If even a sentence of the above has been helpful, and I don't mean helpful in laughing at this goof, then our country's fight for independence was worth it.
If not then our forefathers totally blew their use of their respective lives.
Smiley winky face
DWB
O'er the land of the free and the home of danceswithbongs

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs