Sourcery 2.2 - Full Version

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i believe that's a gb feature i know a lot of apps aren't supposed to be able to go to the sdcard and some won;t even function correctly if moved to the sdcard it is supposed to be up to the developer but it has been figured out how to force an apk to the sdcard so that's why others let you but keep in mind this rom has been out of development for a long time now so that is why it is missing that feature

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
why can i not move all my apps to SD? im not talking system apps in talking about some games and stuff i used to be able to move with other roms.

Max
Have the specific apps you are referring to been updated recently? Did you just shift to Sweet Sourcery from a gingerbread ROM? And if you could mention some of their names, that would help with the diagnosis. I'm not a doctor, but I have met some so through osmosis I've become quite qualified.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

buellboy9

Reaction score
You can use TiBu to move applications to the sd card but I don't see any reason to. Apps on the sd card just means you can install more apps on the phone... it doesn't free up any memory for the operating system (which is what I originally thought). Also, the more apps you have on the sd card, the longer it takes your phone to boot into a "usable" state after a reboot. It also takes longer for the phone to "recover" when you've mounted the sd card to your PC.

Take that for what it's worth.

maxearing

Reaction score
for example at bat MLB, i dont think it has any updated but i did come from a GB rom.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Buell makes a good point.
To address that very issue I started using an app, Link2SD.
You need to make a ext partition on your SDCARD, which can be accomplished using Rom Manager.
But before partitioning you need to copy entire sd to computer, as the card will be reformatted before the partition is made.
This also addresses a number of the negative impacts that occur when using the normal moving of apps to the sd.
All widgets are completely usable.
When you mount sd to computer all applications are still completely accessible so no lag upon dismount.
General start up speed increases as the ext partition mounts before the SD card gets checked for errors, mounts and then gets scanned.
Finally it allows you to choose what you want to link to the ext. On Froyo you can link any or all of the following 3: app, dalvik and library.
On GB you can't link libraries as GB handles them much differently. GB natively unpacks the lib files each boot which causes you to have the lib files on both internal data storage as well as the ext storage.

The market page explains more and links to thread for the app and the dev is very helpful. Also in the Cyanogenmod forum there's a thread dedicated to this topic.
Titled something like "ultimate apps2sd thread".

danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
for example at bat MLB, i dont think it has any updated but i did come from a GB rom.

Some apps cannot be moved regardless, they are usually in the data sub folder app-private I think.
It has something to do with part of the app being a zip file.
As to underlying reason behind this, I have no idea.

Perhaps GFlam or Smeigel, sorry I mean eagle, could shed some illumination. Perhaps magical illumination, cause we all know magic is happening yet it takes time.
danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Size matters, anyone who says different was told that so as to not have their feelings hurt.
I used the following factors for my decision. And regardless it can always be changed to larger or smaller.
First off you have 15 gigs of space on the sd pre partition so you need to estimate how much of that space do you usually take up?
If you like to keep large files like movies or a giant music collection or a ton of game databases and nandroid backups, you need to decide how much of that space you are willing to give up. Or cull through the files and do some deleting or copy to your computer. And base the size on what you estimate you will need or want to use.
I chose the max RM allows which is 512mb. Then you can opt for a linuxswap partition which is used to handle cached memory and can be implemented by using the app Swapper 2. Disregard the comments about it possibly degrading lifespan of sd, since you will be using part of the sd card specifically formatted as a linuxswap space. Whereas if it was just on the regular part of your sd it would have some impact. Not sure how much but at least some.
I again maxed that one also, think 256 mb or right around there.
But at base the decision should be made accounting for how you plan to use it.
No reason to go 512 if 256 would suit your needs.
And again same steps can be used to select a different size, just always remember to back everything up first onto your computer.

danceswithbongs

maxearing

Reaction score
when i did the partition from RM it just sent me to recovery and nothing else

segdoh49

Reaction score
Just going to throw this out only cause Ive been fighting this problem for awhile....
When connecting USB the computer never see the SD card the USB conected just keeps runnning and running. And yes I have the Motorols A855 driver installed. And have tried on several different computers. Anyone have a hint ???

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Max
It's possible that you need the premium RM. MinPart Tool I have heard works well and is free to download, but you run it from computer so go to the apps thread for explanation on how to use and link to the download.

Seg
Is it possible that the SD is bad or corrupted, you know takes bribes and stuff.
If you put the SD in one of those usb converter plug thingy, sorry if I get too technical, does the computer recognize it?
If so it sounds like that may be kernel issue. But I really don't know even a kernel about kernels.
Other than kernel sanders and kernel ingus.

danceswithbongs

segdoh49

Reaction score
Max
It's possible that you need the premium RM. MinPart Tool I have heard works well and is free to download, but you run it from computer so go to the apps thread for explanation on how to use and link to the download.

Seg
Is it possible that the SD is bad or corrupted, you know takes bribes and stuff.
If you put the SD in one of those usb converter plug thingy, sorry if I get too technical, does the computer recognize it?
If so it sounds like that may be kernel issue. But I really don't know even a kernel about kernels.
Other than kernel sanders and kernel ingus.

danceswithbongs
Don't take bribes on Wensdays
Don't think SD is corrupt (could be though)
Have not plug into a plug thingy, but can access with Android Commander on home computer
Changed Kernals to a Major many time, even went to a General.
And as I was typing the type the F%$#ing thing finally connected.
But it was nice hearing from you DWB.....shinny side up......

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
So Seg it's all good?
I gots me some magic I guess.
As proven by the power of my unhelpful post, which requires a reply, which in turn magically implements a fix.
Excellent, exactly as I planned.

danceswithbongs

OP
Chizzele

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Welcome back DWB, its been awhile since we have seen your posts here, someone was asking about you a few pages back.